Top 5 tips to live in Colombia

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Colombia.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Colombia?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Colombia!

Thank you in advance :)

I just got this and haven't considered myself an expert, but my 1st tip would be to contact expats already in Colombia and get their recommendation for a trustworthy, qualified Colombian national to manage all of the paperwork needed to get a cedula and permanent visa, depending on where you will be living. I live in Cali and can recommend someone if interested. I have my resident cedula and permanent visa after being here for over 6 years. For the peace of mind, the cost was very worth it.

I'd also recommend starting early learning Spanish. My own is still not very good, but I attribute part of that to a hearing problem.

Finally, look into the various health insurance programs available. I have my plan from Comfenalco and am pleased with the overall cost and access to what I need medically.

CaliRay Many thanks for the info. I have been in Medellin for the past 3 months and before that a month in Pereira. Armenia Quimbaya and a small puebla names Alcala. I want to get to Cali before I have to return to Panama on the 15 of April. If I do make it down there it would be my pleasure too meet up with you. Lance Gibson.   [email protected]

@trikepilotlance Sure, send me a message should you decide to come to Cali and let me know your plans.

If you have never lived in a so called 3rd world country,  WELCOME.  I left the U.S. over 6 years ago and landed in Medellin.  After 2 and a half years I moved to Bucaramanga and then after another 2.5 years moved to Barranquilla.  I should have never left Medellin.  Hands down the best by far.  Friendliness of the people, the climate and accessibility to a more modern life.
TIPS -
VISA - The VISA process can be a hassle and without using an Agency in Medellin I probably would have left the Country.  By the time you pay for a plane ticket to Bogota, hotel, taxis, food, etc..  it's cheaper to pay an Agency.  Unless you just want to visit Bogota, fight the traffic, and stand in long lines.
THE LITTLE THINGS WE LOVE - If you like your American foods,  you now have that problem solved.  PRICESMART is a Costco or Sams Club copy that is loaded with pretty much everything you could want from           the   U.S.   and has expanded in 2014 throughout Colombia.
MAIL - Get a mailbox in Miami at TCC and have them forward you mail and packages to you door FAST and at a very reasonable price.   
BANKING - Keep a Bank acct in the States.  The ATM's here accept your cards and the Dollar is awesome at this time.  In the past,  years ago I was getting 2500 pesos on the dollar.  Then there was the 1600 pesos per dollar which was terrible.  Now it's doing great again.
DOCUMENTS-  Have a copy of any documents you might think necessary.  Birth Cert. Marriage or Divorce papers and a copy of your will if you have one.  Carry copies of your ID's when out and about.  Never the original..
Take the time to get accustomed to things getting done in slow motion.  Nothing happens all that fast here..  The #1 used word in Colombia is  MANANA,  and sometimes manana can take weeks.
SECURITY-  The big Cities here in Colombia are more or less the same as BIG Cities around the World.  They are good areas and there are bad neighborhoods.  ASK.  It's simple.  Don't wear your gold jewelry when walking around town.  I sold mine after a year here.   NEVER walk off a curb without looking in every direction 3 times.  I'm serious.  Pedestrians have absolutely NO RIGHTS here.  It's every man or woman for themselves.   If for some reason you need to call the police,  buy a sandwich.  It could be a long time before they show up.  Just be aware of your surroundings at all times.
I remember when I first visited Colombia about 8 years ago,  "Colombia,  the only risk is wanting to stay"..  It was true, I love it here. Just be yourself,  be friendly, and respectful of others. 
GOOD LUCK.............

OK, I have lived in Colombia for 11 years.  Here's some info:

1. Patience and Persistence - use the carrot to get what you need, but understand that sometimes the stick is necessary to get work done on time and correctly. It usually takes me three repetitions of whatever I need done to have it done close to correctly.

2. Better to settle in areas where there are other expats living or nearby.  Cartagena, Barranquilla, or Medellin are good choices and have opportunites for earning money and for finding the type of goods and services you want.

3. Visas have changed.  If you have a pension, you can get a pensioner's visa. I understand that business visas are more difficult now. After 5 years of these visas, you can apply for a 5 year Resident visa (3 years if married to a Colombian).  Like others on this post, I recommend you get a professional service like Aviatur for all other types of visas.

4. If you have the funds, you can still buy property economically in Colombia.  Cash is the way to go and you will need to register the $ with the central bank.  Better than renting if you are sure you want to be  here.

5. Learn to speak and understand Spanish well.  Not too many, almost none speak English in Colombia.  You can get by with just a little Spanish, but it will always be a struggle to know exactly what's going on at the moment.

6. You can have a better quality of life in most areas of Colombia for the same amount of money as in the States, except maybe Cartagena where property and rents in the safer areas are expensive.

1. If you are retired it is better to have a bank account in the states to access your funds...your money is usually worth close to double.

2. Make contact with a person from your home country who has been living to help you settle in .

3. Select your neighborhood very carefully that are safe.

4. Make sure you have your very important papers with you. ex. birth certificate

5. Make sure you enroll in health insurance you never know when you may need it.