Residence visa and employment for an expat from the UK?

Hello,

I am a British citizen who will be marrying a Pakistani foreigner who has been living in Oman for the last 8 years on a work visa. According to the web I will need a residence visa for spouses. However, I am also hoping to apply for a teaching position in Oman. Can I apply for employment once I am in Oman if I get a residence visa first or will I need to enter the country with a work visa?

Thank you

all_things_genius wrote:

Hello,

I am a British citizen who will be marrying a Pakistani foreigner who has been living in Oman for the last 8 years on a work visa. According to the web I will need a residence visa for spouses. However, I am also hoping to apply for a teaching position in Oman. Can I apply for employment once I am in Oman if I get a residence visa first or will I need to enter the country with a work visa?

Thank you

Hi all_things_genius,

To get a residence visa you would first need to provide evidence of a legal marriage.

However, entering Oman on an employment visa would be easier, since you would not have to go through the hassles of changing of visa.

If you do get an employment opportunity then your dependent visa status would have to be cancelled and your passport would be stamped with an employment visa. You can't be on a dependent visa and work.

Thank you very much for your reply - clears everything up!! Saved me a lot of headache and hassle so thanks