Looking for some advise for Bulgaria

I 'm an American and I've been living in China for just over 6 years (way too long). I am looking for a serious change of scenery and Bulgaria is coming up tops in all my searches.

So I am looking for some advise.

I already have a primary income form film work that will becoming in, so any ork i will do in Bulgaria will be freelance for film or photography.

I am married to a Chinese woman and am looking for her to come with me. I'd like to set up a business for her to do Traditional Chinese massage.

I'm planning on visiting Bulgaria in the next few months to have a look around, hopefully meet some people and get a taste for what it's like to live in Bulgaria from some expats who are doing it themselves.

One thing I need to have a good access to an airport, so I am thinking about being in Sofia. But Plovdiv is a consideration as well.

Can anyone give me any tips or pointers?

I've seen people say that if a job isn't needed, avoid Sofia, but no one said why.

I love city life, reliable public transportation, high speed internet and lots to do.

I am happy for any advice received.

Thanks

Hi coffeeORdie,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new topic has been created as from your post on the Bulgaria forum. Do not hesitate to view other topics on the Bulgaria forum ;)

Don't forget the airports at Varna & Burgas either.
These are two nice seaside cities.

Hi, you can go as a tourist without a visa but the first step in getting residency is to obtain a short term stay Type D six month visa. Once you have it the next step to is apply for an residency permit.

You will need a strategy to apply for the Type D visa that falls within the guidelines, there is a freelance status, you can find the criteria on the Bulgarian Consulate website.

I'd like to recommend my attorney there, he has been tremendously helpful helping me prepare to apply for my Type D visa, I am waiting for it's approval right now. By the way, you have to apply for it in person in the US, for US citizens this is the only way. I had a good experience with the consulate in Chicago and you do not have to surrender your passport when they accept your application, you come back a month or so later back to have the visa inserted into your US passport.

Anton, my attorney is the best and he writes English well and speaks it well enough.

Anton Popov
In House Lawyer
Belcheva & Karadjova LLP
m: +359 87 666 7487
e: [email protected]
w: http://bulgarianbusinesslawyer.com
a: 28, Tzar Samuil str, office 11
4400 Pazardzhik, Bulgaria

Good luck, go visit, Bulgaria has a lot to see and offer, mountains, seaside, history, culture. The people are nice and the food and drink is good. Rakia and salad, salad and Rakia You'll see, it's all good. I'm headed to Plovdiv, it is the 2019 Cultural Capital of Europe. It is more charming and much smaller than Sofia but lacks the city energy and does have not the business activity.

Lawrence

Actually, a note on the D visa... you are allowed to apply from another country if you have a long-term residence permit there. For example, I applied in Istanbul while I was studying there because I had a residence permit for Turkey. Although, all of the back and forth to the US for fingerprints and apostillization was a pain, you don't have to return to the US. (Unless you want to).

Hello Lawrence Wilburn

Could you please recommend your lawyer in our business directory please?

>> Lawyers in Bulgaria

Thank you

Kenjee
Expat.com Team