D.N.I.???

Hi all!!

I received my Residencia Precaria (Permanent) almost 3 months ago (September 9, 2010) They told me that now all I have to do is wait for my DNI to arrive in the mail.  Has anyone been in a similar situation?  Does anyone know how long I actually have to wait?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi! look this link  migraciones.gov.ar
Kisses!

The actual time frame seems to vary greatly from person to person.  I know some people who got one easily and quickly and others that it took literally years.........

Hello

If you belong to one country in the Mercosur is faster. Before thinking about the DNI must think in the residence

migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?residencias

Since Anthony is an American, Mercosur is irrelevant.

IN B Aires, there is a location where you get it in a few hours... Unfortunately I lost the link but I try to get it and post it

Hi domdom...actually when you file for Permanent Residency, you also start the process for your DNI..it's all one procedure..I just want to know how long it takes to get actually get the DNI..Thanks for the reply!!

AH,OK.. it seems it actually takes 3 to 4 months.. (in Cordoba)
At this address, it seems you can get it within a day in B Aires
inforo.com.ar/noticias/sacar_nuevo_dni_o_renovar_turnos_para_obtener_el_dni_libreta_y_dni_tarjeta_en_el_nuevo_centro_de_documentacion_de_paseo

Have a nice day

Hi Anthony, please let me know when you find out where is the best way to find information and in fact what needs to be done.  I have just arrived recently (three days ago) and also need to get a DNI.  Many thanks.  Alessandro

Hello Anthony,

as Sam pointed out, it varies from one person to another. One important thing to keep in mind, is if you have income from abroad. Needless to say, it takes more than 4 months as someone pointed out. That timeframe, is for us, locals.
Moreover, you have to get documents translated and with apostille blablalbalbla......
I know it didn't help much, sorry about that.
Good luck!

Hi

I'm not sure if it different for permanent versus temporary residents.  I got my temporary on Sept 1 (ish) and was told I would have my DNI in early November.  This via the agency that is supporting my company -- so probably padded for their lovely deliverable speed.

Hope this helps.

Hi DeeF217,

Thanks alot for your reply..I actually got my Permanent Residency on September 9th so I guess it should be ready in the first week of November..Take care and please keep me updated on what happens..

Thanks!!

Well well in order to get an DNI is really very dificult when you are not a citizen of a Mercosur country.
I tried for more then 3 years now and still doesn't have my DNI or permanent residence.
I am married with a Mercosur member but still I had to marry again in Argentina because they do not recognize laws from other countries, for example i know a dutch couple they married for 15 years in Holland and they have 4 children but the marriage was not legal in Argentina.
You can always apply for a non permanent visa like a student or you can seek a job or if you are retired you can also apply for a visa.
Please do nor forget that all documents must be translates by a public translator,legalized in foreign affairs but most of all do not forget the apostille and this is only posible in your country of origen and NOT in embassy or consulate!!!If you do not have the aposille, you will have to travel again!!!
It is normal that teh paperwork takes about 3 to 5 years in order to have some documents.
The government of Argentina always claims to be an open country but reality is very diferent.
the cost of residence is very high due to the loss of time, traveling and so on.

I disagree based upon my knowledge of others who have obtained residency and/or DNI's here.  I have never heard of someone taking 3-5 years unless there were issues with their background or documentation. 

I have lived here for nearly 4 years on my passport, taking the random time outside the country in order to appease the gods of passport entry stamps.  I have traveled much of the world and lived on 3 continents and have found Argentina to be one of the easiest countries to deal with as a foreigner. 

I think Argentina is a very open country, much more so than many others down here that require visas, etc. 

Also, Argentina does in fact recognize the laws of other countries. If in fact you know of someone with a marriage that was not recognized down here, in all likelihood there were legitimate concerns which probably were easily reconciled were a desire there to fix things. 

With all due respect, I have heard way to many stories over the years that begin with "I know someone" and in many instances they simply are not true or somehow much of the relevant facts at hand are not mentioned or known.

You will not believe some of the wild rumours I have heard here over the course of the last 4 years that were related to DNI's, residency, border crossings, entry fees, etc. When one takes the time to actually investigate those issues, more times than not they prove to be false.  And before you ask, I do investigate, I do check, and I often consult with media outlets and work as a freelance writer and have great contacts, ones who are actually in the know.

Well the only thing I can answer is that I began my DNI as an investor, in March 2008 presenting all legal documents such as birth certificate,pasport,"antecendentes penales" and so on,all with apostille,also I presented a total economical plan issued by my accountant and legalized,certified by the chamber of accountants for the construccion of a building with 23 apartments,i also presented the origen of the funds and some 100 documents more but still does not have permanent residence.
The construccion is already finished and sold out!!
So i do not speak in name of somebody but in my proper name.
Nowadays i do have 3 diferente enterprises but still no DNI!!
I have lived in Spain,Costa Rica,Panama,Colombia and now in Argentina, so I do have some experience dealing with migrations and the only thing I can tell is never it took so long in order to get a residence.
Ok they give me each time 3 months more and then they asked another document, they even asked police to check if i really was constructing that building!!
I got married in Colombia and live in Argentina with my wife but they did not recognise our marriage in Argentina!

In reply to Wynn Woods, I am with PatrickG on this.

I went through all the correct channels, went down to immigration myself and gave all the information necessary. I got my DNI permanente legally and it took four years. How anyone  gets it in less time beats me.

It is an open country but it takes time money and energy. I think you need to be on DNI temporaria for afew years to make sure you are serious, which seems fair enough.

HI Chaz..thanks for the reply..I already received my "Temporary" Permanent Residency 2 months ago and now they told me to wait for my permanent DNI to come in the mail..They told me that it should take up to 90 days but I just want to know if anyone has been in the same situation..

Thanks!

Anthony

I applied for my DNI back in February and finally got it a week ago. Be prepared for a long wait!

I did my DNI work from the USA through the consulate and it took me a year to get it back.  Hope that helps.