Work Remotely for Three Months?

Hello,

About a year ago I was doing an Internet search for "perfect weather" and discovered that there are some regions in Ecuador that have my kind of weather -- namely 60 to about 75, dry, and sunny. I can't move anywhere permanently right now, but I wouldn't mind an extended visit to Ecuador (as I love traveling and experiencing other cultures).

I work for my employer remotely. All I need is a high-speed Internet connection and the ability to call in to conference calls. So I was thinking -- Why don't I go to Ecuador and work from there for three months? That would give me a chance to really get a feel for the country and to do some sightseeing.

Here are my questions for those living in Ecuador and who are familiar with these topics:

1. Could I find a small house or apartment to rent for just three months? If so, what could I expect to spend for rent, water, and electric? I'm looking at probably Loja or somewhere in or near Cuenca. It would just be me, so I don't need a lot of room.
2. Is there stable, high-speed Internet available? If so, what could I expect to spend for that? And would I need to do anything to my laptop so it will connect to the Internet in Ecuador?
3. Cell phone: I would need to be able to call the United States a couple of times a week, for around an hour each time. Is this very expensive? Would I need to buy a phone and a get a plan down there?

Thanks in advance for any answers, advice, suggestions you can provide!

Jay

Triton318 wrote:

1. Could I find a small house or apartment to rent for just three months? If so, what could I expect to spend for rent, water, and electric?...
3. Cell phone: I would need to be able to call the United States a couple of times a week, for around an hour each time. Is this very expensive? Would I need to buy a phone and a get a plan down there?

Fortunately for you, there are always apartments for rent in Ecuador's cities.  Since you're looking for an out-of-the-ordinary rental term, your costs will be determined by which city you choose, your (Spanish-language) negotiating skills and the quality/amenities of the apartment.  The most affordable rental deals are typically found via bootleather, not Craigslist.

Phoning the U.S. for two hours a week:  Skyping from one of Ecuador's many Internet cafés is probably your best low-cost option.  Buying a cell-phone or converting the one you now have is not expensive, but buying overseas calling time for it could be prohibitive.

I've never heard of a three-month international calling plan from Ecuador. 

I'll defer to any local Expats in the cities you named to answer your technical Internet questions from section #2.

cccmedia in Quito

I had a short-term (2-month) rental when I first arrived. That was Quito, but such things are available in other cities, I understand. Shorter-time means higher monthly, of course -- mine was $625/month for a large, fully-furnished (including dishes, linens, etc) two BR in a nice area.

Phone: I did well with Magic Jack. I think ccc's right that cell phone costs could go through the roof for you.

I don't know what Loja's internet situation is.

Magic jack is the best bet, we've had a lot of success with it. Internet is fairly reliable but can crash and burn unexpectedly. Many properties have the equivalent of "party lines" for their internet, even if it seems you have a dedicated line, you might be sharing unknowingly with neighbours etc. If you need high volume quick data transfer, you might be disappointed, even with fibre optic. (We found out the standard lines in our old building were faster that the fibre optic (!!!)

For the most part, the internet is reliable for us and we successfully Skype (with the odd glitch) and stream Netflix (but that's designed for slow data transfer...) Good luck!

BobH wrote:

I had a short-term (2-month) rental when I first arrived. That was Quito, but such things are available in other cities, I understand. Shorter-time means higher monthly, of course -- mine was $625/month for a large, fully-furnished (including dishes, linens, etc) two BR in a nice area.

Were the utilities also included in that price Bob? Granted that wouldn't be that high, but what's nice for shorter term rentals is that often times everything is included in the monthly price. If only there for a few months it would be one less hassle to worry about. The ease, and simplicity of a shorter term rental is worth the slightly higher premium. At least it would be for me.

Good point about the utilities. I should have mentioned that utilities were included, except gas. I was provided with two tanks of gas to start with (for water heater and stove/oven). I had to buy one tank while I was there. No problema.

Thanks for all the replies.

Regarding phone: I'm assuming then that regular, land-line phone service is available and that I would just need to find out what the cost would be to call the United States.

Triton318 wrote:

I'm assuming then that regular, land-line phone service is available and that I would just need to find out what the cost would be to call the United States.

From where, Jay?  Your place of residence in Loja or Cuenca?

Nope, can't jump to any conclusions.   Cell phones not land lines are the new normal in Ecuador's cities.

If you were here in Quito, I would send you to one of the Internet centers in Mariscal sector.  Within three blocks of Wilson and Amazonas, there are five such places that also offer international phone calling to the U.S. for approximately six cents a minute.

However, the Internet centers anywhere in Quito outside that little section of Mariscal charge 25-35 cents a minute for the same line...and I don't know what the going rates are in Loja/Cuenca.

This might best be handled after you arrive, and see what's available and popular for overseas calling in your new neighborhood.

cccmedia in Quito

Triton318 wrote:

Regarding phone: I'm assuming then that regular, land-line phone service is available and that I would just need to find out what the cost would be to call the United States.

I don't know what landline costs would be for international calls. I agree with you that you should check it out. But I really think you might be better off with a Magic Jack.

Does Majic Jack work for Canadian phone numbers?  I am Canadian.

Helen Pivoine

Helen Pivoine wrote:

Does Majic Jack work for Canadian phone numbers?  I am Canadian.

Helen Pivoine

Apparently. Here's their site, and one of the front-page bullets says "12 months of unlimited local & long distance calling to the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico"
http://www.magicjack.com/index.html

Thanks a lot, Bob H.

PEI Red wrote:

Magic jack is the best bet, we've had a lot of success with it. Internet is fairly reliable but can crash and burn unexpectedly. Many properties have the equivalent of "party lines" for their internet, even if it seems you have a dedicated line, you might be sharing unknowingly with neighbours etc. If you need high volume quick data transfer, you might be disappointed, even with fibre optic. (We found out the standard lines in our old building were faster that the fibre optic (!!!)

For the most part, the internet is reliable for us and we successfully Skype (with the odd glitch) and stream Netflix (but that's designed for slow data transfer...) Good luck!

Is it more reliable in bigger cities?