Getting started in Vietnam

Hi guys! So I'm moving to Hanoi in about two weeks from South Africa. I have never traveled alone (yet alone lived in a different country). Super exciting stuff! I'm just asking for some general tips from you guys who have already crossed this bridge. What are the can/can't do's in Hanoi? Where can I go to hang out and meet some like minded people? Thaaanks guys:)

Haha.. I didn't think it was so silly but I suppose in retrospect it is.
Moving because I am craving an adventure, have been stuck in academic institutes my entire life and just need to do something different for a bit.
Studied applied arts, then did a post grad in marketing. Did the TEFEL thing and am hoping to find a teaching job when I arrive. I didn't want to pre-organise that, as I really want to check out if a place is for me before I commit.
And no, of course I do not intend to move to Vietnam in order to jut hang out with South Africans, otherwise I would stay in SA, which I'm not.
And in terms of what gender I'm into? Now that's a silly question cause I'm not on here for a hook up, I'm jut looking to get some answers..
Sweet:)

Hi Paperjetairplane! Welcome to Vietnam! If you need a place to stay please PM me. My roommates can show you around Hanoi; they have been here for a while & they are all English teachers. I have 2 Canadians & 2 Irishes sharing rooms here. Again Welcome to Hanoi & wish you have an adventurous stay in Vietnam!

Thanks you guys are wonderful :heart:

If you are a frequent traveller around Asia, it will not be much trouble but the only problem is the language barrier.

I can remember the first time I land in Tan Son Nhat Airport and Caravelle Hotel, I thought Vietnam was ok till I hit the streets and Ben Tre Market.

When I learnt French, I thought it was tough, till I come into this part of the world.

Decided to stop the beansprouts art and focused on conversational Vietnamese which is more practical.

Doing well for me so far.

Some people travelling here might not be as lucky. After experiencing much, I really do advise foreigners to have connected with someone here in boots on the ground.

I cannot imagine those unlucky ones how frustrated they can be.

To the Newbies heading this way, and reading this, BE FOREWARNED! hahahahahha....... :lol:

ok, so you warned everyone!..."BE FOREWARNED! hahahahahha.---" but can you be more specific about at least a few things we should be worrying about?