Al Ruwais

I have been assigned to live in Al Ruwais. My company provides transportation to and from work but after hours I am on my own. Any pointers or tips on transportation would be welcomed.
For example:
What is the best way to get out of Al Ruwais and see sites around me?
What are the acceptable ways of travel for a female?

Hi if you have Driving licence, you can rent a car to use it for the weekends or everyday to drive to go AD or Dubai. Ruwais is an industrial area so far I know, how is it to live there?

hi lan... me too, im also assigned here in ruwais, which i think i way farther from where you are... im here at braka, they are building the first nuclear plant here in uae. im a site nurse. i hate it because i dont have a driving license and it will be difficult for me to go back to abu dhabi city where i formerly reside. i met some nurses from silla hospital and they told me that buses comes 3times daily. they pass by along the highway 11. schedules are 6am, 1pm and 6pm, this buses will bring your directly to abu dhabi city.
@marufa, yes indeed its a industrial complex. you live here in "portaCabin" as they call it...

Welcome to Expat.comm Baloyojoemel :)

thanks.... you will see me often here... hehehe....

There are lots of busses going to nearby towns etc. And you can hire a car.

@Marufa, It is nice living in this town as it is nice and quiet,not much to do though.

Hi

can anybody in ruwais tell that what is the situation of constaruction projects in al ruwais area.i have skilled as well as semi skilled labour to supply.
is there labour accomodation availble for rent.
my mob number

saak@ 0505053068

well I guess you could go to the hotel every weekend and party, but there is only one hotel in ruwais

but I am not in Abu Dhabi yet so you can't quote me

lani_hammond wrote:

I have been assigned to live in Al Ruwais. My company provides transportation to and from work but after hours I am on my own. Any pointers or tips on transportation would be welcomed.
For example:
What is the best way to get out of Al Ruwais and see sites around me?
What are the acceptable ways of travel for a female?

Ruwais is not Braka so don't be put off by the comments relating to a New development. Ruwais is quite civilized by comparison with supermarkets and a fair sized expat community. Locally (Nr to Jebal Dhana) there is several hotels one being a 5* hotel with all that brings. Swimming pool/Beach/Night Club etc. Local "Expat" Golf Club with 19th hole.
Ruwais is the UAEs Industrial area with Major oil refinerys Borouge and Gasco plants (use google)
The BEST way to get around Ruwais is with a car however there are several Bus routes.
Ruwais or "RHC" is the residential area. Very Green and Many Parks etc.
Good Luck.

how many hotels are in ruwais

Two
One is the Danat 5* hotel newly constructed the 2nd one is from the 1980's called the Dhafra Beach Hotel. However both under same management. Both in same area.

danathotels.com/Hotels-Resorts/Dhafra-Beach-Hotel/Location

how much are drinks?

Hallo people,

my wifw is going to start working in Ruwais soon, insallah. My question is - when we arrive on the Abu Dhabi airport how can we get to Ruwais? Are there any trains, busses etc. , or is taxi the only option?
İ will appreciate your response(help).
Kind regards

HarisSejhana:

Taxi is the only option, but the company or place she will be working for will probably provide transport as it is quite expensive.

Good luck

skitterling-
thank you for the resposne

My wife will go before me and they will probably organize her transport from the airport of Abu Djabi to Ruwais. But İ will go afterwards, when she sends me an invatation etc. So İ have to make something up in order to get fom Abu Dhabi to Ruwais. By the way, since you are from Ruwais, how many days does the visa issuing procedure last approxemitely?

Greetings from İstanbul

Haris

In that case your wife will probably be able to book you a bus ticket, depending on who she works for. There are Borouge busses daily to and from AD. If not, then taxi.
Dependent on which visa you take, but you can prepare yourself for about a week or two. Paperwork needed from the company sometimes takes a while, but the actual process is very fast.

skitterling

thanks a lot. very kind of you

HarisSejhana wrote:

skitterling-
thank you for the resposne

My wife will go before me and they will probably organize her transport from the airport of Abu Djabi to Ruwais. But İ will go afterwards, when she sends me an invatation etc. So İ have to make something up in order to get fom Abu Dhabi to Ruwais. By the way, since you are from Ruwais, how many days does the visa issuing procedure last approxemitely?

Greetings from İstanbul

getting from Abu Dhabi to Ruwais is quite simple.
1.Hopefully if your wife is working in Ruwais her company will collect her from the airport.
2. depending on your budget and what time you arrive at the airport.
You can get a scheduled bus from the airport into Abu Dhabi then when at the main bus station get one of the many busses to Ruwais. (Bus travel in the UAE is fairly good.)
The distance from AbuDhabi to Ruwais is about 250Km so Taxi can be quite expencive.
3. Another option is Taxi into Abu Dhabi (60 AED) then from the Bus and Taxi station get a shared Taxi to Ruwais. Of course with any Luggage that will be difficult.
Abu Dhabi and Ruwais are is the same Emirate - in any event the UAE Goverment are not concerned wether you go to Abu Dhabi or Ruwais.
Your Visa will depend on her salery, accomodation and status but I assume that this should not be a concern ( I am presuming she is a Teacher ???)
Visa's can be quick and visa's can be slow. The best option is for your wifes company to apply for your visa on her behalf. She can also apply herself but  will probably needs several trips to Abu Dhabi to achieve this. Her company will at least tell her what the requirements are...

Good Luck.

Thank you for the explanation

My wife is in Ruwai and İ am waiting for my visa to be issued. İ heard that there some tourism agencies which can issue a v one-month visa for strangers, and it costs about 1500dirhems, and that is another way of entring the country...

İ heard that many strangers come to the UAE to work, mainly from İndia. How is it to work there, what is required?

Hey folks,

My friend and I are moving to Ruwais in november and very excited. We are Irish females and in our early twenties, could anyone give us some info on life in Ruwais please? I know its two hours from abu dhabai and we plan to spend our weekends up there...but generally is ther a big expat community? easy to make friends? thanks :D

Hi twitty

You wont be the only Irish ladies here, there are a lot of young teachers so you wont have trouble making friends :) What do you need to know about Ruwais? Its not much, life is very quiet here.

Hey skitterling,:)

Thanks a million for the reply. Thats great to hear, its nice to see Irish faces when your out in a completely new country... So is ther much to do during the week in the evenings after work? any social scene(I dont mean out drinking) like beach,football clubs etc?!! id love ne information at all..... :P thanks

OK there is a ladies club, with a gym and several other things (have not been there in ages so cant say what exactly). Then there is the beach hotel and one "free beach". Google Dhafra beach hotel for info on what to do there. There is sadly not much going on for ladies, but a lot of the teachers just go out for a walk and get some exercise. I assume you are a teacher? If so then you will fit in fast and the ladies will help you out a lot. :)

Yes we are teachers, both very excited to start our new jobs and experience the culture. :D Ive heard there is a nice little community of Irish teachers so thats great to hear when so far away from home. Is it common to hang out at the beach in the evening time?!

Imagine a small town in the high prairies of Montana or deep in the grim hinterlands of Sutherland in Scotland, and that's pretty much what kind of places Ruwais and Madinat Zayed are. Very rural, very isolated. No amenities. No public transport. No expat scene to speak of. The population is all local Emiratis or Indian labourers.

I'd only work there for £300k and for exactly one year, during which I'd save 95% of the income and head to Dubai every weekend. After the year's up, I'd get out of dodge because, hey, life is too short to be frittered away as a single westerner in the boonies of the UAE.

It is common to hang out at the beach yes, but you are not allowed to swim after a certain time. What is also not nice is that the beach only opens at ten in the mornings, think it is open till nine in the evenings though.

There is public transport in the form of busses, and a lot of people are very happy with it. We have been here for almost three years and really enjoy it for the quiet and laid back atmosphere :) I however do not agree with the comment Sandman made, there are loads of expats here, not only Emiratis and Indians

Ok thats cool,im sure we will be busy during the days so we wont have much time for other things anyway. Do alot travel to abu dhabi for the weekends then?! Is there alot of teachers ther do u know on average? thanks for your help:D

Always a pleasure to help.

I think if you travel to AD often then you will be happy :)There really is a lot of teachers here, especially since GLENELG opened, think there are 7 schools in total? I would say there are easily 300 or more teachers here.

I didnt realise there would be so many teachers, thats great news!!:) looking forward to meeting loads of new people...whats the social scene like in abu dhabi?!! :D

Im sure you will

To be honest, I have met a few people in AD through Facebook etc, but we have small kids, so dont really know the social scene. Mostly go for the shopping

Rawais is a [Moderated] of nowhere and is a pit stop between the UAE and KSA. That is all.

Do a Google search, the truth is out there

I wouldn't worry about "sandman" comments.
Ruwais is the kind of place that you either love or hate. No Guessing which side of the fence "sandman" lies on........
The place is full of Expats from just about every nation you can think of. Western Expats are for sure in the minority However There is a Local hotel (5*) which has a nice bar and a nicer beach, great to go out to when you need. Local golf club where you don't NEED to play Golf (sand course) but has a fairly good social content (for Ruwais that is)and is on the seaside.
Public transport is reasonable and the Companies also have daily buses to AbuDhabi.
If you are "Country" then you might like the small village atmosphere but if you are "City" then you might not appreciate it so much. As with any Expat environment it's always what you make of it. Accommodation is usually very good and Ruwais or RHC is very Green which hides the sand.
Anyway - Good Luck

Hey I have an offer of 5880 AED/Month, as a Project Engineer in one of the Projects going on in Ruwais,

Accommodation & Daily Transportation is on company,
1 Month Paid Leave,
Air Fare is on me,

Please tell is it a good deal, I am a Bachelor n have 2.5 Yrs Experience,

Also hows the place Ruwais ???

Mmmm. If you are a Project worker it is unlikely that you will live in Ruwais. Most Construction camp accommodation is on the road to Giathy. Presently in Ruwais area there are in excess of 50,000 construction workers due to Major expansions in the Industrial area. Salary does not seem so much especially since you are expected to pay your own airfare. On the plus side !!! Probably where you will be living there will not be so much to spend your money on......... Good Luck

where r u currently working??? sharjah ??

salary is a bit low, are u a Degree or Diploma??

Hiii , I am Ravin from Malaysia. I am an Engineer and i will be there by June end. Can i get some friends and help from you all. I appreciate all your posting which is very useful. My e mail : [email protected].
regards.

hell, i'm new registred, i have plan to move to Abu Dhabi ( Ruwais) looking for Al ruwais life style info
all helps will be appriciated

Hi Skitterling:

I will be arriving in August (yes, another teacher), and will not know where I will be working until I am there. You sound like you know the ins and outs of the country pretty well. Do you mind if we keep in touch so I can pick your experienced brain a bit (a lot, actually). I have SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many questions and concerns and surprisingly think I would prefer a more rural/quite area. I'm 52 and single and certainly out of the looking for weekend entertainment phase of my youth. My plans are to work my butt off and become the best asset I can be to the country as an educator. And stack some money, of course   :- )

If you find time, my E-mail is:
[email protected]

I need to know EVERYTHING!

Thanks!
Barbara

Hi all,

Please note that some posts were moved, can we please remain polite. :)

I will suggest you to create a new topic On the Abu Dhabi forum as this thread is quite old. ;)

Thank you,

David.