Newbie to the expat blog

Greetings Expat.comgers  ;)

We are a family of 6.  Four of which are our adoptive children ranging in age from 4 to 18.  We are visiting this June to experience Ecuador in celebration of our 21st anniversary. 

We hope to broaden the horizons of our children to an alternate life style than "American."  Thus we will be going "local" including total immersion in Spanish.  Challenging, right?!  Why Ecuador? We have friends who have moved to Ecuador and thus encouraged us to visit. 

Our dream is to visit annually to various regions and possibly move there in 5-7 years.

Ecuador is an American life style
South American

Ooops! ... yes, so true.  My apologies if my statement was insensitive. But I was referencing the materialistic, self-centered, judgmental view that seems to permeate media, schools, and our community.   My children are wonderful.  We have nice friends.  We enjoy our life.  BUT certainly this is not the only lifestyle that can make one happy.  We look forward to exploring other lifestyles that encourage self-sacrifice, community engagement, and love for fellow man.

There... does that express my thought more completely ; )

It sounds like you are on the right track. Visiting many times and hopefully staying in any area you are considering eventually moving to for a good long while is an important step.

Despite being a small country, the differences from one region to another can be vast. This is not just a country of micro climates, but also micro cultures. It's much less homogenous than the U.S.  Keep this in mind when you visit. Explore, explore, explore. You might find one spot crowded, polluted, and loud, but perhaps the next valley over is peaceful and friendly.