Safe to visit Ukraine

Is it safe to visit Ukraine I hoping to visit for the summer renting an apartment ??

Hi Michael.
Is it safe to visit Ukraine? That a mighty big question, it kind of depends on where your planning to visit, what your planning on doing there,
If you stay away from the east (where  there are troubles) . Then personally I think it's safe., I live part of the year in Poltava and always feel safe. Kyiv And the cities in the west of the country are great for a bit of tourism . As with all cities (New Orleans included) there is some crime but by being a little savvy one can usually avoid it.

Hi Michael Lombardino,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I created a new topic as from your post on the Ukraine forum for better visibility. ;)

If you are looking for an accommodation, you might have a look and post an ad in the housing in Ukraine section.

All the best,
Christine

Yes I agree !!! Last year I flew into the beautiful new ( one year old ) Donestk airport , and by the time I left I had to fly out of Demper !!! I never felt threatened in Ukraine !!! But at 6'2 265 lbs I think some people might think twice !!! LOL !! I am a little concerned because my girlfriend lives in Berdyansk and I wish I knew what Putin was going to do !!! Just don't go anywhere east of Berdyansk !!! Demper is beautiful !!! Lots of young people and very friendly !!! Bill Kipp

I live in Kharkiv with my family and we have had some issues in the city.  But I have always felt safe in our city and it is in Eastern Ukraine.  But if you are by yourself, I would recommend staying in the West.

If you mean the war then you'll not be allowed there. In other areas everything remains the same as before.

Hi Ray!
I am curious!  My girlfriend lives in Poltava and it is a nice part of Ukraine.  I live and work in Wisconsin, USA.  I have met other Americans who live in Poltava.  You said you live there part time.  Just curious whether you live there part time because of your wife/girlfriend and reside in another country the rest of the time?  I plan to retire in 4 years and live full time in Central America.  Returning to Ukraine to visit.  Ukraine, Europe even Russia has such a vast culture and so many places to visit and see I would greatly enjoy doing this in the future.  But of course with Putin and the criminals currently destroying so much travel is questionable and even not to be considered in some areas.  I am certain also that if I were to voice my disgust and dislike in certain circles my safety would be in danger.  I would like to know more from your perspective.  Thank you.
Alan

ca va?

Michael, you will love it there!

Well, assuming you are an average American...

There is some crime in "sleeping" neighborhoods mostly. Unless you know what you are doing, don't be cheap and stay in nice areas and you will enjoy it there. If planning to be in Kiev, pm me. I will put u in touch with a cpl of guys I know who will help u out with housing and stuff.  In kiev stay downtown, or Obolon or Pecherka (listed in the order of my preference). Night clubs are safe any time, but outside at night you may encounter some drunks with a propensity to violence... Cabs are almost free everywhere in Ukraine, if you order online ( uklon website) or call 280 (they will call back). Cabs on the street are a bit pricier, but you would still laugh at their prices...  Using listed services, you can get anywhere downtown for about $3-$4. If catching a cab on the street, you may have to donate $10... but still, it's nothing in comparison to New Orleans... How much would it cost to get to metairie from downtown?... yeah...
Lviv is a bit cheaper and also very enjoyable. Odessa is a bit boring (beaches are comme ci comme ça) - it's mostly about eating... yeah...

Hi Alan, I live in Poltava because it is my wife's home city and she didn't want to leave her family.
I was retired early from my job. And we live here on my works pension. I love it here in Poltava - no rat race for me or my wife. Poltava is a beautiful city, lots of concerts and dance performances at prices that make you smile.

As to the politics I leave that to the Ukrainians it's their country.
I am just grateful that they allow me to live in this beautiful country.

My email address is [email protected]  if you want to communicate drop me a line.

Do you visit Poltava often?

Ray