Silly question about shopping :)

Hi all,
Forgive me for my silly random questions but does Puerto Rico do Black Friday? Also do people coupon there? Just little random things I like to do... Thanks in advance!!

They do! This is consumerism at it's best... or worst, depending upon your perspective.

There are no silly questions when it comes to moving to a new country (or "Free Associated State").

Everyday feels like Black Friday in PR. ;) (At least in the metro area.)

Hmmm! Maybe I'll check it out this year! Thanks

NomadLawyer wrote:

There are no silly questions when it comes to moving to a new country (or "Free Associated State").

Everyday feels like Black Friday in PR. ;) (At least in the metro area.)

Yes, I agree with this sentiment - however particularly around the Christmas season & before three kings day in January it is well advised to steer clear of Walmart (IMHO).

That time of year in the mainland is always crazy to me, I like to avoid it, lol. For years we vacationed at Christmas time elsewhere and missed the frenzy.  My family doesn't even exchange gifts anymore but like to donate to charities instead.  But I guess this is helpful to the economy  :top:

I love the rush!! Lol!

DONT GO! Worst place in the world for black friday!

I thought when I retired that I would now get to enjoy shopping in less busy stores at times when most others are working ... ha! not here!  We went to Walmart in Carolina at 10:30 a.m. on a Tuesday and couldn't find a parking spot!  Maybe in the outer areas it's different, but around the Rio Grande area and toward San Juan, there is a line to wait for everything at anytime.

Yes, to both.... remember  we are in the  USA... not a foreign country  :)   
Same insanity on Black Friday.... it's not worth it ANYWHERE!  If you feel like the braving the crowds, get there early and maybe you;ll find a parking spot.  Valet is always an option.
coupons are sometimes a problem... read the small print if it says not PR, Hawaii or alaska... some do, most do  not.   also use the Walgreens coupon app for savings on line.   
Bed Bath and Beyond has the same policy like the main land... don't worry about the date... they pretty much accept them. if not speak to the manager.

Shopping is somewhat of a sport here on the island... also, the places are cool and you can have a coffee, sit and chat...  another favorite passtime....

what about home depot?  or walmart?

Most stores are a zoo, specially where you can get a good bargain. Special shopping days is even worse, I seen women fight both here in the states and in PR over something stupid like a toy or a shirt in special.

We are in the northwest in Quebradilla and we go to the Walmart in Isabela and the lines are terrible. In the mornings during the week, it isn't too bad but forget about the weekends.

Prepare to spend several hours there. We had the same experience when we first came to the island and were in Humacao. I couldn't believe the lines with both men and women during the day.

I said to my comadre, doesn't antibody work here and she just laughed and said that's the way it is. Welcome to Puerto Rico.

In Home Depot, it isn't too bad at least in the one in Hatillo and no they don't serve you coffee.

I guess they dont serve you a "Mista" if you miss dinner while waiting on line,  :joking:

We experience the same in both, the Walmart in Ponce and in Home Depot. My wife and I joke about people complaining about the economy but the malls are all full. It was insane, e spend more time in line that purchasing the stuff.

As much as I want to support the local economy, I waste too much time driving and waiting in line. Many times at home depot the item I'm looking for isn't even in stock.  Now I buy as much as I can online. 

I started dreading my weekly shopping trips to Sam's in Mayaguez, so I now I stock up and try to go every 2-3 weeks if possible.  A few weeks ago I learned a tip from a local who grew up in Mayaguez.  She said Thursdays are the least busy day to go shopping...sure enough, it seems to be true;)