Phu Quoc Island

If anyone would like advice on travelling to or staying on Phu Quoc, I would be happy to help out.  I have been here 3 years on and off....currently on.  I am not promoting any business, but beware....I might direct you to businesses operated by friends....which is not a bad thing.

Regards
Dave

hi dave, i am interested about living in Phu Quoc but I'm afraid i can't get good money there. I didn't finish any hospitality course or training that's why i am not confident in getting a job there.

Hi Angelica, timing is bad at the moment for finding work here.  This is nearly the end of the tourist season.  There will be another burst of European tourists in March, then it will be very quiet until November.  Money is another thing.  The tourist industry is in it's infancy and evolving here.  Most hotels only want to pay their staff as they have in the past....poorly.  This is changing, but slowly.  In my observation, the greatest asset that any of these hotels can have is reliable staff.  Most employees here will work a month or so and then disappear once they get paid....then move on to a new job.

If i got bored here in hcmc i might go and stay there. I have a friend who's working in Phu quoc and he told me that he can introduce me to his friend who has business there. But i don't think i will earn good money. hahhaha..

Please recommend me a good hotel/guest house/home-stay near Sao Beach for 1 night.

I know one reputable hotel in Sau Beach.  It is operated by the same people that run Pepper's pizza, but sorry, I don;'t know the name...it is new.  This year, the rains have held off, so anywhere on the island is good, not only Sau Beach.  In town, I recommend Castaways....about $35/night.  If you really want to get away, Bamboo Resort is in the north.  They are on a protected cove with little wave action....again. $35/night.

Hey Dave, thanks for offering your knowledge, I hope life is good there...do you know if there's much in the way of English Teaching jobs there on the island? Also, are you aware if it's possible to get to the island directly from thailand or cambodia without the need to go through HCM? Cheers buddy

I happened to run into the owner of the hotel I mentioned in Sau Beach, at breakfast.  It is The Beach House.  [email protected].  +84 77 3972123. 

Back rooms are $40 per night and beach front are $50.  I do know someone who is looking for an English teacher for a few months.  Contact Charles at Bamboo Resort.  bamboophuquoc.com.

They would provide a room and meals and pay you a small salary....which would get you to the island and provide a base to look for future employment.  Charles had a teacher, but he needed to leave due to a family emergency.  They are teaching staff and local children during the low season here. 

Mention to Charles, that I referred you, so he knows that the call isn't coming out of the blue.  I would imagine that many of the larger resorts would be looking for English teachers. 

There is also an English language academy on the island, but I don't have contact info.  (I could find out though)  Vietnam Airlines had flights from Bangkok and Siem Reap direct to Phu Quoc a few times per week.  Jetstar may also be flying these routes.

From Phnom Penh, it is probably best to take a bus to Ha Tien VN and then the ferry to the island.  It will take a day.

Any travel agent in Phnom Penh would be able to set you up.  You can also get a visa in Phnom Penh.

Regards
Dave

Hey Dave,

Thinking of coming Phu Quoc soon, Im from malaysia and will most probably be travelling solo.
Not much info available for phu quoc as opposed to all the the other popular islands in South East Asia.

When is a good time to come, somewhere between peak and non-peak?

Non peak is now, although this year has been unusual.  It has been fairly dry and not windy....the ocean is calm.  There seem to be 2 high seasons now.  November through March is high season for Eurpoean, Russian and N American tourists.  At the moment, we have had a significant number of vn tourists, but it has quieted down this week.

why Google map shows the Puh Quoc airport is closed?

The old airport in Doung Dong is closed, but the new international airport south of town is now open

Thank you Dave.

Hello we are travelling to Phu Quoc Island in September. My husband and I would like to hire motorbikes.  Can we do this without a Vietnamese drivers license without  getting into trouble with the local police.

I think international driver's license will be ok!

I have been stopped twice with an international drivers licence, and no problems.  Just be sure that it shows Vietnam on the accepted country pages.  Mine did not, so I took the pages out and printed off a list from the internet.   There is a new top cop in town and he has instructed his people to stop tourists as well as locals....we used to get a pass.

Hey Dave,
1. Can you please tell me how much it will take to go to Sao Beach from airport by a taxi(Time and money)
2. How much it will cost to hire for a mortar bike for one day? (we hope to stay 3 nights)

I have been stopped twice with an international drivers licence, and no problems.  Just be sure that it shows Vietnam on the accepted country pages.  Mine did not, so I took the pages out and printed off a list from the internet.   There is a new top cop in town and he has instructed his people to stop tourists as well as locals....we used to get a pass.

Around 300,000 vnd for a taxi to Sau Beach from the airport.  It will take 45 minutes.  Motorbikes are150,000 vnd per day this time of year.

do you know any website of Sao Beach hotels?

I checked the ones I know and none have web sites.

Could you Please recommend me a good clean beach without much crowd in mornings?
It will be our Honeymoon trip.

This time of year, all of the beaches are nearly deserted.  The calmest this time of year are on the east side, Sau Beach, etc.  That being said, it has been an unusual year with very little wind, so the west side beaches are pretty good, Long Beach, etc  If you are looking for some place very quiet, that would be anywhere on the west side, north of town.

It will be in December

For December, the west coast beaches will be the best,  The wind direction changes by then, blowing across the island, leaving very calm water.  Long Beach will also be quite busy by then.  The quieter beaches in high season are north of Doung Dong.  Vung Bay is quite nice and relatively quiet even in December.  A couple of resorts are Bamboo Cottages and Wild Beach Resort.  Note that there isn't much infrastructure on Vung Bay....no stores, no outside restaurants, etc, but you can always go to town.  (25 minutes)

Hi, I'm coming to Phu Quc next week. Gonna stay a night or two only, but want to enjoy it as much as I can!
Is it possible to participate in some activities like snorkelling/island tour on the same day, if I arrive the airport at like 8am? Or should I book it in advance?
Info of good package or agency would be helpful.
My friend doesn't like snorkelling but I really want to do, so I may join as solo.. (If any other activities you recommend for people who's afraid to go in water, kindly share)

Thank you,

Joie

Usually the boat/snorkeling and island tours take most of the day each.  Boat tours will depend on the weather.  The forecast is for rain all this coming week....we are certainly due.   (wind is the issue)  You will not need to book in advance now.  John's Tours and Red River Tours are ta couplle of the actual operators.  The best experience for a personal tour is Jerry'sJungle tTours, especially for a small group.  He will provide a bunch of options and take you where you want to go.  ...and he really knows some interesting places that are not on the large group agendas.

Thanks a lot Dave, for the great information.I'm checking the agency's website now.
Too bad the weather seems not very kind whole week..
Anyway, hope for the best and will try to make the best use of limited time.

Referring to comments about hotels/area "west side beach is pretty good around this time of the year"
So do you think Long beach is a fair choice for non-honeymooner(lol)..?
Considering the transport from the airport and accessibility to major spots I wonder where to book

Long Beach is close to the airport if that is an issue.  There will not be too many tourists around now, and the wind could pick up and keep you out of the water. (possibility of big waves) No snorkeling there though....at least nothing interesting to look at.