Am I being naive.....

Am I being naive with the thought that a TESOL, TEFL or CELTA certification is not essential to secure quality employment for one who has practiced law/litigation for 30+ years in addition to doing some adjunct work along the way. I'd prefer to get in the teaching setting immediately as opposed to the alternative. For me, decision time Is here---it's time to fish or cut bait! Many thanks for your input.

My advice is to earn a teaching certificate, unless you have a BA in Education.  "They're all obstructionists that learned the art from the French and then how to do it in triplicate by the Yanks!", was what my mentor told me when I first arrived.  You can plead your case till the proverbial cows come home, if you even get a chance to speak with anyone about your experience...or they'll so no problem, then a week later it'll be a problem (once the person above that person finds out).  You'd be much better off earning a certificate, even if it's of the online variety (a legit cert, would be best).

You can complete the AMA/Norwood English TESOL in 2 or 3 weeks and search for work  at the same time.  AMA would probably hire you contingent on your completing the course.  They'd probably forget all about the whole thing once your money was safely in the company's coffers, if they're like most of the schools here.

There's always the chance that you'll find a spot somewhere and they won't even bring it up, as well.  Do you really want to take that chance though?

There's no guarantee that the 5 years of experience would be suffice.  Most schools poo-poo the thought.  Then there's the chance that when he applied for a work permit the person holding the red stamp would want to see a cert.  I've seen it happen to people that held degrees in education.

Obstructionists!     :top:

Try contacting Marc Ellis and see what he says.  He's a legend here for his legal battles with the US Consulate over fiancee' visas/ spousal immigration.  He has also taught English from time to time, so he knows the landscape.

http://www.marcellislaw.com/contact.html

Appreciate the input very much. I have emailed Marc directly. Feel like I have some small bit of traction toward the objective!

He's a personal hero of mine, though I doubt he'd remember me.  My ex and I did a mock immigration interview with Marc acting as an immigration official.  He ripped her apart and then told me that he knew she was hiding something. Was she ever!   I was already well aware of the fact that she liked to be economical with the truth and expected me to ignore the red flags that made life with her look like April 30/May 1 every day!

Here's an article Marc wrote a few years ago about the fiancee/spouse immigration process at the Consulate.   You may want to consider doing what he does eventually.  There's certainly no shortage of potential clients and at $100 a pop for a mock interview, and $1000 to file the paperwork,  it could be more lucrative than teaching English...:whistle:http://www.ilw.com/articles/2004,0108-ellis.shtm

Here's the client list:  http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/136-vietnam/

Go get your TESOL, TEFL or CELTA certification first.  It just takes one month.  Some TESOL schools will guarantee you a job, once you finish the course.

Decided to do just that Brubakertx. Tried to start one on 2 March in Hanoi but no slots were available in the class. Many thanks for your input.

Avoid Apollo's CELTA program, unless you enjoy unnecessary pain and suffering.

The name itself is so pitifully dated, I did not even consider it. If management cannot wake-up and realize it's 2015 for branding purposes, I can only imagine how drowsy the training would be. Two thumbs down based on that speculative conclusion!

Probably!
I am a teacher with 40 years experience - but of teaching maths!
It fills me with fear when I think about teaching English - and I am English.
So I do not see how anyone outside of teaching can consider themselves capable in a classroom situation.
Even 1:1 requires the ability to motivate and that is not acquired overnight.

But ultimately yes because a school needs to advertise its staff who will need to be qualified in English and/or teaching.  I do no have any EFL qualification and feel that I need to so some training asap.  Or of course pay you a lot less as an assistant rather than a teacher.
All things are possible but statistically improbable (or should that be in/un.....probable and how does one know?)

So, with all due respect, you do need training - to what level is quite another matter!

Thanks very much for your input. Some of my professional volunteer work has linked me with teachers in their setting and I.have been astounded to learn about the challenges they face. With the comments here and with input from others too, I absolutely concur with your conclusion that training is needed. Whether the intensive certification coursework will morph me into a decent teacher will remain an unknown for now.
Once again, many thanks for taking the time to think through my query and then respond.

but don't let us put you off.
The world is for the taking.
I have chatted to my colleagues (before reading your entry) and they all tell me that the training they received was a lot of help.  But like everything in life such comments are relative to where one is coming from.  You obviously have a lot of experience and plenty that we do not know about so you may be perfect for the bill - be that kindergarten or more likely University English where perhaps the requirements are different.  Many language schools need teachers for young students and take it from me I like them young but 3-7 year olds would be enough to test anyone's mettle. I can cope with 8+ as there is slightly more to the job than..  ...........(imagination required) ........
But then academic English to 15 year olds might involve a lot more preparation and marking - and I hate marking as it is the most pointless exercise ever created.
And you will still have to convince the authorities who will be AUTHORISING YOUR WORK PERMIT AND VISA that you are a bona fide teacher and how do you do that after only a couple of months in the country?  with paperwork!

Do you do drama/singing/games as this is often part of the English programme (I assume, as I will want to use such an approach even though I at present know nothing!).  As previously mentioned I am terrified of changing from maths (security of known) to English (fear of unknown) but then perhaps I want that little frisson of excitement - theoretically within my expertise but only one jump ahead of the students..

I see someone'e entry said that EFL or 5 years teaching were almost mandatory - this I did not know so I am looking on the basis that I have 5 years teaching - but still terrified.  And you do sayto secure QUALITY employment.  That surely must be naive - why would anyone employ you rather than some young enthusiastic person recently trained and perhaps with the first 6 months of errors behind them.  I would not employ you or me  unless no-one else wanted the job - ask yourself why?   Perhaps location or pay or even the fact that the hours may total perhaps 20 but be spread through 6 full days from 8am to 10pm.  Even I would not accept those working T&C whatever their hourly rate of pay. Be wary my friend - is it sounds too good to be true then........ esp from some of the locally owned and run businesses which seem to be after your money as mush if not more than the students fees.
Someone comments don't do Apollo training - but they are part of the largest outfit in the world and their training brings their jobs - so why would one not do their training? But apply to the larger companies and see what they have to say - they review your paperwork and then tell you what your options are.  If they recognise your talent then they may offer you a job directly. 

And who knows, you might find the training so boring that you would not want to have that type of job - boring both your students and yourself.

Do let us know how you get on and when/where you settle - especially if you are there already!

You may not be naive but only believing what others have said may be the requirement. I have been residing in VN for the past 5 years and have 4 degrees (3 in teacher education) but as of yet do not hold a TESOL or TEFL or Cambridge, etc., certificate. However, this may be by good fortune that I have been employed, as well. because there may be some organizations which vehemently adhere to the latter certificates as a basic requirement. Just be confident, though, that if you have the proper educational degrees and experience, there will be employment opportunities for you, somewhere.