Best Android Box

Installed Tecbox and guide and was about to add FTV but all the info I have seen says that it streams from Filmon so how would it be better than a filmon download direct on the laptop?

I have set the resolution in System settings to 1280 x 720 but still get a lot of the content in SD, do I have to configure each individual addon?

Sorry for all the questions but whilst I can find my way round a computer ok, Kodi seems a bit of a mystery to me!

Cheers

Ray

best plan is to do part of it before having beer then when frustrated enough have beer then more beer.. then start again tomorrow ....LOL with beer

You can configure the ivue tvguide addon to feed from a known HD source by putting it in favourites list  first then config the channel in the guide to that favourite

as for ftv  - it has always worked better and smoother in my opinion with a better picture quality than direct from filmon addon - dont ask me how or why as i dont know  - as there are many filmon servers so may be something to do with that....

Toon wrote:

best plan is to do part of it before having beer then when frustrated enough have beer then more beer.. then start again tomorrow ....LOL with beer

Problem is, because of the warm weather I have run out of beer! So I have to start tomorrow by going out for more beer.

Will have another go at things afterwards. it's all a learning experience anyway and beats sitting watching TV!

Cheers

Ray

So I'm guessing I can't just log into Netflix 😕

Jasminej wrote:

So I'm guessing I can't just log into Netflix 😕

You need a VPN or DNS to acces Netflix in Malta, ( + a Netflix subscription of course).
I use 'Hola' which works well but there are many many more. Just google vpn or dns and you'll have dozens to choose from.

Cheers

Ray

unotelly & smartbns are also very good.

time for beer maybe

Toon wrote:

unotelly & smartbns are also very good.

time for beer maybe

It's always time for a beer and I've run out!!!

:sosad:

Ray

its beer day today for me so cheers

Set up NTV.mx on my laptops as a stand alone web player and through XBMC (so that I can record) and subscribed to UK Premium. (One lap top is permanently connected to a 40" LED TV via HDMI.)

So far am very pleased with the results with very good picture in HD and with minimal buffering. Another plus is being able to get Sky F1 as this means I can dump my expensive package from GO.
If it continues to perform well I may invest in a MAG 250/254.

Thanks for the suggestion

Cheers

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:

Set up NTV.mx on my laptops as a stand alone web player and through XBMC (so that I can record) and subscribed to UK Premium. (One lap top is permanently connected to a 40" LED TV via HDMI.)

So far am very pleased with the results with very good picture in HD and with minimal buffering. Another plus is being able to get Sky F1 as this means I can dump my expensive package from GO.
If it continues to perform well I may invest in a MAG 250/254.

Thanks for the suggestion

Cheers

Ray

thats cool my laptop is permanantly connected to my tv makes it easier to use

thing is if you get the mag box you pay 10 euros more a month lol

but you do get 14 day catch up a fab epg and 200 or more videos on demand and its so so so easy to use  - my missus swears by the mag250 - and you get to use an android or web version for no extra charge on the same subscription service and thus be able to watch two different progs at the same time

That's true Rob, but my current GO package costs 67 euros ( full Gold Interactive with HD, 35 Meg Broadband and GO sports 1 for F!)  I can save around 40 of that by having just phone and Broadband (35Meg)

Cheers

Ray

Toon wrote:
On An Island wrote:
Toon wrote:

its not difficult at all.....but it is the way tv will go in the future....

I wish you could convince the BBC of that. I would be more than happy to pay a small monthly subscription to be able to stream their channels outside the UK, rather than having to do it illegally.

COULDNT AGREE WITH YOU MORE

Go on the EU, doing something useful for a change.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32607246

Toon wrote:

but you do get 14 day catch up a fab epg and 200 or more videos on demand and its so so so easy to use  - my missus swears by the mag250 - and you get to use an android or web version for no extra charge on the same subscription service and thus be able to watch two different progs at the same time

I have been using NTV through my spare laptop but have checked on the availability and cost of a 'Mag 254' locally in Gozo (110 Euro).
I have decided to get one but whilst I already have an NTV web subscription, which would increase with a box to around 29 euros, the guy in the shop offered me a subscription through them at around 20 euros which would give more channels (some I would never watch) and wondered if any one has experience of these packages or would I get better quality direct through NTV which has all the programs I normally watch?

Ray

a chap i used to work closely with when i lived in Malta -at melitasat - no link to melita - does a mag250 with his viewplus service and its very reliable (€20 per month altho he does ask for a year upfront)  - - hes beenn going for about 2 years now on this service  = but prior to that he did lots of sateliite work too -  his name is Mohab and he has a shop in birkirkara along from the bathroom design centre going towards BK from Iklin.. on the left opposite the BOV atm.....

Toon wrote:

a chap i used to work closely with when i lived in Malta -at melitasat - no link to melita - does a mag250 with his viewplus service and its very reliable (€20 per month altho he does ask for a year upfront)  - - hes beenn going for about 2 years now on this service  = but prior to that he did lots of sateliite work too -  his name is Mohab and he has a shop in birkirkara along from the bathroom design centre going towards BK from Iklin.. on the left opposite the BOV atm.....

Thanks for that, I might try it out for a month with the guy in Gozo and then if it's ok I don't mind paying for a year. If I am not happy I can revert to NVT.

Cheers

Ray

ive used the melitasat system its not bad for the money - you get a lot and catch up too now FREE as part of the package...

he usually demos it in the shop

you can use ntv on the mag254  - i know it costs more but the service is good with a fab epg, 14day catchup, media player, radio channels, web browser, over 230 movies-on-demand - you tube built in - and you can use an android on the same service channels giving you the option to watch two different channels simultaneously --- one on mag254 and the other on the web (or android) - with no increase in sub......

their ultimate package at €40 is superb value i think - all usa, all uk, all sport, all russian and all scando too.

Toon wrote:

ive used the melitasat system its not bad for the money - you get a lot and catch up too now FREE as part of the package...

you can use ntv on the mag254  - i know it costs more but the service is good with a fab epg, 14day catchup, media player, radio channels, web browser, over 230 movies-on-demand - you tube built in - and you can use an android on the same service channels giving you the option to watch two different channels simultaneously --- one on mag254 and the other on the web (or android) - with no increase in sub......

their ultimate package at €40 is superb value i think - all usa, all uk, all sport, all russian and all scando too.

The guy in the shop in Victoria offered a demo of their package in the shop so I may take him up on it and as long as it looks ok I'll try it for a month.

If I revert to NTV I assume it is as easy to set up on the Mag as it was on the laptop?

Are the other parts of the NTV (epg, web browser and media player) automatically set up or do they have to be added individually?

Is it easy to set up XBMC on the Mag as well.

Cheers

Ray

If the mag box uses kodi(xbmc) so it's just the same as setting it up on laptop ...you'll need to find a TV guide there are some free ones but they don't always have all channels

robpw2 wrote:

If the mag box uses kodi(xbmc) so it's just the same as setting it up on laptop ...you'll need to find a TV guide there are some free ones but they don't always have all channels

I already use wireless mice on my laptops but I think I might have to get a wireless keyboard for the Mag prior to adding Kodi/Addons.

I already use iVue TV guide on the laptop which works well and is free.

Ray

mag box cannot use kodi

F0xgl0ve wrote:
Toon wrote:

The guy in the shop in Victoria offered a demo of their package in the shop so I may take him up on it and as long as it looks ok I'll try it for a month.

If I revert to NTV I assume it is as easy to set up on the Mag as it was on the laptop?

Are the other parts of the NTV (epg, web browser and media player) automatically set up or do they have to be added individually?

Is it easy to set up XBMC on the Mag as well.

Cheers

Ray

you can buy a mag 250 box from ebay cheaper and set it up easily following the instructions in the ntv pages  - its easy

most of them and mine certainly was already set up with all the bits including the stalker middleware

you dont need an epg with the mag250 and you dont need a keyboard either

look here as this is demo for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBohdeDqBOM

its not an android and doesnt use addons - its a dedicated set top box for iptv

you do have to "bind" the box to the ntv service - to your account  - a sort of pairing the box to the service via mac address....

it is easy and is all explained in the web pages of ntv

How to add the box
Follow this simple step-by-step guide to connect your MAG set top box to our service.

Go into inner portal
Power cycle your box and hold 'gear' button on the remote while box is loading. Gear button is in the middle of the second line of buttons, going from the top of remote.

Go into settings
As you are in the inner portal, press 'gear' button on the remote again to get into settings menu.
Note: There is a settings menu gear icon in the portal also, this is the wrong menu. You need the one that is accessed by gear button on the remote

Select 'Servers' option

Type tv1.ntv.mx into Portal 1 URL or Portal 2 URL field
You can connect USB keyboard to the box or use virtual keyboard (keyboard button on the remote)

Select and press 'OK' button to save the changes

Power cycle your box
Now box will load up NTV set top box portal

Go to 'My Account' on ntv.mx website
You need to be registered and authorized on the website to get there

Click on blue 'Add a SetTopBox' button

Follow instructions on the 'Add STB' page

Bind your subscription to the set top box
As box is added and you can see it in your account, click on blue 'bind' link next to subscription on 'My Account' page.

Done!
Now all channels and movies you are subscribed to are added into your box.

mag250 cannot do what an android box can do  - for sure - but what it does do it does rather well

cheaper overall to go with the local service provider at 20 a month and the cost of the box  - total 360 say - whereas buying the box and going with ntv would cost you 12 x 30 plus the box cost

id guess the service content is much the same but the ntv option allows you to control the spend.. and not pay upfront

Toon wrote:

you can buy a mag 250 box from ebay cheaper and set it up easily following the instructions in the ntv pages  - its easy

I looked at eBay and by the time postage is included the cheapest comes out at approx.106 euros and I can get one in Victoria for 110 so that will be easier.

I was not sure about Kodi and I have it on my laptop so it does not matter.

I had seen the set up instructions on NTV website and checked how to bind it to my account but having seen 'Mac address' mentioned elsewhere I was not sure what that was, other than that, it all looks straight forward.

I will be getting the box in the next couple of days so I just have to decide whether to try the suppliers package or just stick with NTV.

Cheers

Ray

Will the supplier put his service on your own box?

thats unusual

dont worry about the mac address  - every box has one  - its printed in the bottom of the box

Toon wrote:

Will the supplier put his service on your own box?

thats unusual

The supplier would provide the box for 110 euros (with or without the program feed ) and the programming (20 a month).

I am simply not sure about the quality of the program feed, my existing NTV has a good HD picture quality and very little buffering with just an occasional crash and all the channels I need.

It is more a case of whether the suppliers program feed would be as good a quality for 10 euros less a month!

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Ray

good luck

If I get internet from go. The house has an aerial and connections for go, can I use uk products , I have amazon and that streams from the internet to TV. Thanks deb

yes you can

Wow that's great. Thank you

as long as you gave a decent internet connection  with good speed latency and stability then you will be fine with internet tv

Can the user of a Mag Box be tracked and located by the authorities, as you can when using a PC for watching live TV/Films by streaming/torrent etc?

Not worried about here in Malta, but just wondered because my son was threatened with court action in Germany for doing just that using his Mac, Apparently they are very hot on that in Germany with original program suppliers pursuing people through the courts. He had to employ a lawyer to avoid further action!

Ray

If you record NTV on to USB through Kodi it records as an "FLV"  file which will not play on my smart TV is there a way of converting to Mpeg 4 or similar?

Also is there access through NTV on the Mag250 to an EPG more on the lines of the iVue one rather than there own which is info on 1 channel at a time?

Ray