Is there racism in New Zealand towards black people

Hi sir/madam,
        Am Added. I am in Dubai,I work here as a cashier/sales/customer service. I will like to work in New Zealand for its my dream country to work.Please can you help me?

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

@AfredLem

For security reasons please do not post any personal contact details on the open forum.

If you are looking for work here in NZ then you first have to find out if you qualify for a visa. Try www.immigration.govt.nz for the information.

The type of work you are seeking is not on the required skills list as these types of jobs go to locals.

AfredLem wrote:

Hi sir/madam,
        Am Added. I am in Dubai,I work here as a cashier/sales/customer service. I will like to work in New Zealand for its my dream country to work.Please can you help me?

Your question and forum topic doesn't match. You should be precised in your query.

Hello. I am lady from Botswana and would like to visit New Zealand, explore job opportunities in the Counselling field. I would like to live in a town which is not too costly, with warm weather and available transport. Which ones do you suggest?

Thank you

Preciousk wrote:

Hello. I am lady from Botswana and would like to visit New Zealand, explore job opportunities in the Counselling field. I would like to live in a town which is not too costly, with warm weather and available transport. Which ones do you suggest?

Thank you

This is not an appropriate post, related to the topic but I could reply.

For job search, the best cities to target are Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton and New  Plymouth (As major). Else than these, there are quite a few small cities like Palmerston North, Wanganui, Napier that could be targeted.  For cost of Living, the following cities ranks from top to bottom (Highest to lower cost of living).

- Auckland,
- Wellington,
- New Plymouth,
- Napier,
- All other cities.

Sometimes I wonder why people ask these kinds of questions...I am of African American decent and I hear a lot of Blacks use that."Are they racist?" Give me a break like white people are the only racist people on the planet! Are there any racist blacks in Africa? I know a lot of Blacks in the U.S. who are pure racist and have deep hate for white people. So, I say look at yourselves and ask the question..."Am I a racist bigot?" Don't play yourself because a lot of people of color are racist too! God knows no color.

islaguam96915 wrote:

Sometimes I wonder why people ask these kinds of questions...I am of African American decent and I hear a lot of Blacks use that."Are they racist?" Give me a break like white people are the only racist people on the planet! Are there any racist blacks in Africa? I know a lot of Blacks in the U.S. who are pure racist and have deep hate for white people. So, I say look at yourselves and ask the question..."Am I a racist bigot?" Don't play yourself because a lot of people of color are racist too! God knows no color.

Racism has no specific definition. Being a racist reflect negative aspects of the personality of a human, be it as black, white, brown or whatever. We didn't select the skins ourselves but God. Give respect to fellow humans and earn the same back. to all racists out there,  If one can't respect the other, he/she is like a rotten fish in the fresh waters...!!!

That place doesn't exist.

I know this is a old thread but hoping to get more insight on country living in New Zealand.

My wife and I are from the USA. I am white and she is black (African American). We are a very friendly social couple. Always eager to say hello, make friends and help out.

We Love the outdoors and would like to live out in the country on the South Island within a 30min drive of Christchurch other larger town/city with decent grocery shopping and medical care/hospital. I work from home and only need a good reliable internet connection.

Is there any blatant racism to be expected out in the country or small village or town. I'm talking name calling and homes and cars vandalized.

Thanks and kind regards,
Tom

To: motorlodge
Ok..for an "immigration adviser" whose "helped many Africans settle in NZ including several Ugandans living in Auckland and several Tanzanians and a few Kenyans"... and proports that "none have reported racism either in school or out of school nor in daily life"....what comment you just made..."If you feel so much racism in New Zealand and you feel discriminated against then why do you continue to live here..why don't you go to a place where you will feel more accepted"...that comment...is racist, pretty bold of you to utter, and extremely telling. Especially considering your history of colonialism.

Don't piss on our backs and call it rain. We do know the difference. You might want to do a gut check on your own personal racism and implicit bias.

We lived in Napier and there is a definite undertone against asians in particular because they are hard working unlike a large percentage of  the local youth that generally feel they are owed a living. The standard of education is poor and if you do badly in a test you can make an excuse and get a retest! We left after 11/2 years. School fees are designed to gouge international students eg nursing locals $6k international $23k. Grade school local $420pa international student $10k.

Hi.
With this kind of attitude, how is it that you are an immigration advisor? It shows that you are biased, and that's not good character dor someone in your profession.
To the Ugandan Lady, I'm ex South African and Ive been here almost 20 Years. Yes there is racism,  and as someone else put it,  subtle.  Mostly in the work place. Either than that, put your head down and ignore the idiots, as you will experience racism almost anywhere in the world. Good Luck

The earlier part is in response to Motorlodge,

Racism, stupid as it is, is all over the world. Some is black against white, a lot is White against black, and there are plenty of other versions of it.
Will you find it in NZ? of course you will.

The real question is, is it endemic?

Now comes the bit that muddies the water. The extreme right try to normalise racism whilst the extreme left try to tell everyone they're racists regardless of actual evidence.
Silly, isn't it?

I would like to settle in New Zealand from Kenya. I have an undergraduate degree and would like to have either work or masters degree. Any leads

@motorlodge Perhaps there are social economical reasons for why a person can not leave the environment for which they live in. This does not make racism okay!!! Lets not ignore the issue, yet find a solution to the problem.

@motorlodge And no one likes a racist!!!

@motorlodg Annoying.

@motorlodge And no one likes a racist!!!

- @katrinamyles42

An old thread, but it gave me a chance to look at some old posts. Since then I have a new question for those who think racism is valid

Hope you enjoyed it, now here comes the question - Do you really want to share an idealism with an IQ that low?

@motorlodge ,hey will be coming over in afew months all the way from Kenya 🇰🇪 on a working VISA , I am keen to hear more about East Africans and generally blacks living around Wellington? Is there a group in Whatsapp or FB? I appreciate your feedback,thanks

@kiwibirdie
Well explained.

@estherl i think there is as much racism in new zealand as there is in most other countries , but in general its uncommon although as in most places you get a bit of everything , good ,neutral and crap

@estherl
Hi Esther,
How are you?
I also have 2 kids and would like to relocate to NZ for study and eventually settle there permanently . I wanted to know if you managed to move to NZ.
Grateful if you can share your experience.

Thanks in advance.
yI'm in the process but I still can't do it

@skrishnan ,thanks for valuable feedback, it helps me a lot while planning to shift with my family @ Newzeland

@skrishnan Hi I'm a indigenous person of new zealand and things have  gradually improving over the last 20 years. There is systemic racism throughout health education etc. This can be gauged through mortality rates of the indigenous people here in  new zealand. Interpersonal racism is still here but not  to the degree it is like in the states and other countries.