Renting in Montenegro

Hi everyone,
Moved to Montenegro for 6 months or more, depends on how we like it here.
Plan to settle somewhere around Bar, Budva or Petrovac.
Aged 34, me and my wife both Russians but left motherland long time ago.
Any advice regarding renting reasonably priced apt in this region will be appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome Filippok!
Interesting blog you have and a way you describe your move from Russia to the middle east and on to Asia (I also lived in Asia for many years and now split time between South America and Montenegro. I hope your time in Montenegro gives you what you need for your next step of the way. As for prices and places to rent, someone may give you a specific offer. There is also a FB Budva page where Russian expats in Budva often post rental properties. Cheers!

Hello Filippok,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I created a new thread with your post on the Montenegro forum for a better interaction.

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

derekcarlos,

thanks a lot, I do hope so too lol
Where do you stay when here in MNE? We checked almost all coastal cities and since I'm not at all interested in hanging with local Russians decided to stay somewhere around Kotor for a while...but as of now I haven't seen any American or European expats yet. I understand it's now low season but still wondering where do you guys usually stay?
Cheers
Ph

Hey Filippok!
We're quite a few Western European expats in the Boka Bay! Check on FB the "word of mouth" page and you'll find a lot of us!  ;)
Cheers!
Carine

Amigos,
What are the prices on the north of the country are comparatively to the coastal cities? I mean for renting. Like I understand there's no such thing like "season" and "off - season" costs there?

Hello there !
Yes, in the north, monthly rental prices for long-term lets are for sure, at least 2 or 3 times cheaper than on the coast.
You can see on a site like this http://www.nekretnine-crna-gora.com/ with private listings, prices from 1€ to 5€ per sqm per month in Niksic. It's probably even cheaper in Bijelo Polje, Mojkovac, Berane... 
On the coast, prices tend to range from 6€ (basic quality) to 12€ (luxury)/sqm/month as shown in this study: http://rentalsmontenegro.com/index.php/ … montenegro
In the "winter tourist resorts" (Zabljak, Kolasin) there is a "high season" in the winter, when prices for daily rent are probably a bit higher than out of the "winter season" but for year-round rentals, you should find very reasonable prices year-round.

Hi Corine and thanks for your respond!

I made a small online research and came up with the same conclusion - that in summer it might be a way cheaper there, so thanks for confirmation!
Unfortunately owners of the properties listed online leave my requests entertained so I'm still unable to compare MONTHLY rates.

Can't believe though there's nobody from this forum there...been told Brits and Germans preferably stay there than on the coast... I didn't quite like Niksic although there is a couple of nice lakes located not far from there, so still wondering if Zabljak and others may be a good option for summertime stay...What I wanted to know mostly is do expats there fell a bit remote or probably even bored lol

Hi there,

I'm not really sure any (or many) expats do live in the mountains year-round. There must be some of them, but very few for sure.
I think to go and live there in the summer is a very good idea, because it can be "hell" on the coast in July and August (very high temperatures, bad traffic, too many people etc etc), whereas in the mountains, you'll have nice 20-25°c temperatures, beautiful nature, not too many people etc.
Well, you could get bored, unless you're a fanatic of nature, because you can do millions of hikes, take millions pf photos, road trips, boat trips on the lakes, fishing, or other sports like parachuting, canyoning... So, it depends of your personality really ! If you can't live without cinemas, restaurants, shops, you'll be miserable.
About finding a place to live there, if no one answers online, the best way is to show up there, go in the local café, and ask people there ; they'll surely make a couple of phone calls and show you around, and you'll find a place to live the same day. Don't expect much luxuries there, but you should get in exchange a formidable hospitality from local people (maybe too much sometimes!).
Cheers!
Carine

Tsarine, very interesting info, thanks!
Approximately how much does it cost to rent one-room house (apartment) in the mountains? I want something like these photos

Hi TedM,
Hmmm that looks really nice, but I doubt you'll find anything so modern here unfortunately.... Unless you have it built for you !
I'm not so knowledgeable with the rental market in the mountains here, but I'm pretty sure you could find a 30sqm place for about 100€ per month. Maybe even for less...
The best would be to go there and ask people around, since up there, the "word of mouth" is still the best way to find out about anything :)

Planning an adventure and need assistance in housing. I think I got something lined n up for 60 days and then there after I need something for a lease. Also need work i am good at organizing, child care, cleaning...thank you

Hi Yengyang,
where you would like to settle down, in which town/area? There are a lot of places to rent out of season, this is not a problem, for job you will need to do it by yourself. For English speaking jobs, I propose Boka bay area.

Thanks...right now in morinj until end of November..then u will need long term..I will look into the area you mentioned as well for work...thanks