Moving to Nairobi

Hi everyone!

I am a Swiss lawyer with a love for entrepreneurship (I co-founded two startups) and I am moving to Nairobi in a few weeks.

I was born in Geneva, raised mainly there (two years in New-York). I lived one year in Hong Kong to do my master degree and lived a while in London to work on my second company.

I don't know anything about Nairobi, just heard great thing about this city and decided to move there. I am currently looking for a job in a social entreprise and will need to find a cool flat share.

Please feel free to reach out to me! I am super keen to meet and hear the story/tips from everyone.

Best,

Jerome

Hello Jerome,
Welcome to Kenya, u will definitely love it especially now that the weather is so perfect,  sunny :-)

Moving to Kenya is one thing when you have a visitors visa which will be three months.
After that if you want to work getting a working visa will be the bigger challenge as you
will have to prove you are doing something no other Kenyans can do to qualify for a
working visa.  Think carefully about all that, the cheapest flat  share may cost you like
40,000 kshs without meals and transport costs depending in which part of town you will
wish to stay, security also should be of prime concern as recently an intern sharing with
other interns had all his money stolen in his second week of moving in with others.  I hope
the few  pointers i,ve given you may help you think first before you make a decision. You
can email me on [email protected] for further discussion on points to consider.

Eunia.

[moderated: please post an ad in the Housing in Nairobi section.]

Hello Jerome,
I am Antony, a Political Scientist by training. I am also working to establishing my start-up here in Kenya. We can meet up and get to know each other, since I live in Nairobi. You could contact me
[Moderated: Phone numbers are not allow on the forum please]
Thanks.

Hi, I am going to move to Nairobi also.  I have been visiting here since the end of Oct. '14, and I really like it.  I do not find it to be less expensive.  I rented through Airbnb 'til I learned which areas were safe, convenient, and good locations.

I found the money situation to be challenging.  It has been quite costly to transfer money.  Transportation can also be interesting.  I learned taxi drivers were charging me more than my Kenyan friends. However, driving in Nairobi requires an attitude I haven't yet developed.

Hi!

I am a volunteer in a hospital doing IT consulting work.  I've been in Nairobi for 3 months; prior to that I was in Uganda for 7 months doing the same thing.  Nairobi is fantastic and I love it!  I am from the US and if you have ever visited Atlanta, GA in the US, Nairobi has the same vibe as Atlanta.  It's also got a vibe similar to San Jose, CA (in the heart of Silicon Valley).

Message me when you get to town and I can suggest some great bars and restaurants in the Westlands.  I know some great bars in the not-so-nice neighborhood I work in.

Cheers:)

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Sorry to be so late in responding....I arrived back in Atlanta on March 18th, after over 24 hours on Qatar Airlines & Am. from Dallas.  I am trying to work out the details for a permanent move to Nairobi or perhaps Nakuru.  The shipping of the things I have in storage has been difficult to figure out.  In addition, I am working on taxes, medical matters, visits w/ friends &  family, etc.

Where did u live in Atlanta and for how long.  I'm interested to learn abt. your consulting work, as I want so much to see a Mohs surgery lab for cancer patients established in Nairobi.  I have spoken w/ 2 Emory doctors abt. coming help w/ the initial preparation and training.

I am to return to Nairobi on April 27th and I will need to look for a new apartment.  I am presently renting a nice, furnished, 2 bedroom in Kileleshwa, but will be looking for an unfurnished 1 or 2 bdrm. in a good location.  I also need for it to have been built less than 5 yrs. ago because of health issues.  I cannot risk being exposed to mold.

It is nice to hear from one who also loves Nairobi.

Jaa

Hello jlapaire,

For job seeking, I suggest you drop an ad in the Social jobs in Nairobi section.
Whereas for accommodation, you can post an ad in the Housing in Nairobi section.

Good Luck!
Marjorie

I agree with Eunia.

Moving to Nairobi on an ordinary tourist visa (maximum 6 months) would be relatively easy, provided that you have the funds to support yourself.  However, it is illegal to work (including voluntary work), without the relevant work permit.  There are several classes, depending upon the type of work you plan to do.  Obtaining a work permit is not at all easy, or straight forward.  Many expats secure work as employees.  In these cases, the employer applies for the work permit. 

If you want to start your own business, you need to have evidence of $100 000 minimum, either invested in Kenya, or in the bank, before you can apply for a Class G permit (as well as having a registered company in Kenya).

Living in Nairobi isn't particularly cheap and property rentals are high, in the better areas of town.

Moderated by : Priscilla
Reason : Post your housing offer in the housing section only