Is this a good opportunity?

"Business Opportunities INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY. Local expanding business is seeking private loan of €250,000 at 8% over five years. Repayments and investment fully secured by luxury property..."

I have my own opinion, but wonder what others see/think

In my best dragons den impression ,I'm out
To make it work I would want a bigger percentage but it sounds wholly dodgy to be honest

Is it just a gut feeling or what do you see as real danger?

Some people happy to lock their money away for 5 years with a bank for 3% return on invetment.

New Horizonz wrote:

Some people happy to lock their money away for 5 years with a bank for 3% return on invetment.

with a bank your protected under eu law so if the bank fails you would get the majority of your money back
a business loan of this kind is a huge risk .. obviously without knowing what it is your investing in or what the luxry property is i would be very concerned about investing in it

Swerve!!!

redmik wrote:

Swerve!!!

Sir, Yes Sir!!

(....but Y?)

full body serve - no way Jose...

Well,

an interest rate of 8 % is just about as risky as investing in Greek government bonds.

An investment yielding 8 % in these financial times is considered junk.

I would recommend having a very serious look at the value of the underlaying security .

Just my own spontanious thoughts.

Cheers
Ricky

For starters "secured on a luxury property" doesn't mean you own it, the bank will!

Then you have to sell it to pay off any other debts. first.

As the saying goes "if it seems to good to be true, then it usually is"

Terry

New Horizonz wrote:
redmik wrote:

Swerve!!!

Sir, Yes Sir!!
(....but Y?)

Because at first site and no more details I would never invest in any property out here.
Private loan at 8%!! No guarantees of that.
And how long do you think it would take to sort out any dispute out here with a biased legal system?

It's a scam , no question about it !!!! - wouldn't touch it with yours !!!!!😂😂😂

Above summary wasn't the full story but a gist of it just enough details to invite people commenting (all adverly as expected) without objectivity!! I am more objective and not affraid of finding out. I have good eyes for spotting a business opportunity

I'd contacted this person with a long list of questions. He took the time and answered me.
He wants to build his own empire independent of family money. Started 7 years ago.
This is a genuine profitable business not a scam or something inherently dodgy (my accountant looked it up).
The 'not so luxury house' belongs to his elderly dad. There is no mortgage or loan secured on it. The old man is mistrusting banks so he doesn't let the property be used as collateral with a bank
Negotiated advancing him a fraction of the capital he is asking for.
Negotiated a better return (better than 12%)
Negotiated to lend him personally not to his business. He can make it share capital of his business.
Negotiated an exit strategy (6 months formal notice)
Negotiated his dad paying the monthly interest. He is now behind his dad instead of his dad being behind him
Negotiated his dad acting as guarantor for the capital as well as taking a charge on the dad's property as collateral.

Didn't manage to get:
Becoming a non-executive director of his company to know of how it does business day to day
Receiving some shares in the company as a good will gesture
My legal costs covered by him

I can trust him enough so spending some money to look at this deal closely once we had a broad agreement
Currently with a notaire who is doing background checks on the ownership (title) and drawing up a legal contract.
My accountant in the UK is looking more closely at his past years' trading. I cannot be sure my accountant here isn't his cousin or something on this little island.

Watch this space...

ah well good luck

its not something i would do for sure...

Toon wrote:

ah well good luck

its not something i would do for sure...

Thank you Toon. It's not a done deal yet.

Different people in general see things differently as their circumstances and life experiences aren't the same. Also people have different attitute to risk: you might be more risk averse than I am.
This is the reason I need to hear not only people's advice, but their rational for holding such opinions.

People had seen apple trees for 1000's of years and apples falling down them but it was only 3-400 years ago that a man slept under an apple tree, observing falling of an apple led him to develop many laws of physics we use today.

absolutely agree am not a risk taker  - all t's crossed and all i's dotted... belt braces and parachute plus bungee rope for me am afraid..

good luck to ya hope it all works out for ya - please do let us know how it goes  - it would be quite interesting i think.

nb man also tried to fly and saw lots of things falling and thats why they now where parachutes lol...

Who dares wns...

Toon wrote:

... please do let us know how it goes  - it would be quite interesting i think.,,,

Clock ticks every seconds - is it news worthy? If it doesn't once, that would be!
Postman delivers letters every morning - is that news worthy? If he doesn't once that's news worthy!

I got you well Toon, you're not asking me to come and tell you every month "he paid £££ on time" that's not news worthy! You want to hearm, even if wait for a month of Sundays, something news worthy like "he didn't pay on time" or "he went to Bahanas with my money!" That would be news worthy for you! :) You want to tell me "I told you so...." and no doubts 77000 others like you will want to queue up all day to tell me that. Get yourself a comfortable chair because you may have to wait a long time! ;)

I do a deal with you with you: every month that you manged to earn 1% on your invetment, come and tell us and we cheer you.... but if you didn't earn it (which is a given you won't) come and tell us "I failed to earn 1% during last month" and "I am going to fail to earn 1% during next month" and so on. That would be interesting for me...
...and I would take that as a sign to come and tell you: "but I did earn 1%!" "and I will do it again next month". That wouldn't be news worthy for me but I would do it if you do that..... Ball is in your court Toon.

I'd lay off the wine mate , that last post just read like a drunken rant !!!😩🍷🍷

so your suggesting i gloat if it fails and you will gloat if its doesnt - sorry i dont play those games...

hey its no skin off my nose

just showing a genuine interest... as one who wished you luck

but never mind eh - we move on

Better off playing the Nigerian lotto.Ive won that dozens of times and ive never even bought a ticket.

Besides lack of guts and lack of balls (to play football with), do you have any other qualifications? What do you see as high risk that hasn't been covered?

New Horizonz wrote:

"Business Opportunities INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY. Local expanding business is seeking private loan of €250,000 at 8% over five years. Repayments and investment fully secured by luxury property..."

I have my own opinion, but wonder what others see/think

Not sure why you are getting so uptight as you asked for opinions?

If you don't agree with the opinions given, then fine but please don't start attacking people for doing what you asked them to do.

Terry

It's part of my qualification process. I am trying to find out how much weight I need to attach to the opinion expressed.

New Horizonz wrote:

It's part of my qualification process. I am trying to find out how much weight I need to attach to the opinion expressed.

So I guess that as the majority of opinion is against the idea you will not be investing?
Or are you just looking for some form of justification to go ahead regardless of the opinions you asked for?

Its your money and your risk but if it helps I'm fully behind any decision you make!

Go for it.

Terry

Disingenuity deplored...