Utilities in SMA

Hi we are considering a trip to SMA with the eventual goal of selling a house in the USA and moving there. My question is about utilities. I understand the rates are much lower than in USA but wonder about reliability. Also, are water shortages a problem?

We will keep our US citizenship so I suppose we are still subject to the slings and arrows of outrageous IRS. Right?

Thanks

Fred

To Fred's question on utilities in San Miguel:

We often have water stoppages on dry season afternoons. If you have a cistern, this is usually no problem.

On a 4000 square foot house we have the following utility costs:
Gas (heat, cooking, clothes dryer, hot water) $22.00 a month US
Electricity  $17.00 a month
Water   $8.00 a month
Land phone & internet   $27.00 a month
Cable TV  $20.40 a month
Property tax this year  $293.00
These rates will fluctuate with the exchange rate, which at this moment is 14.7 pesos per dollar.
John Scherber, author of Living in San Miguel: The Heart of the Matter

If you want to avoid paying taxes to the US, I suggest that you join others and renounce your citizenship.

So do most houses have cisterns when they are built?
How reliable in the internet?

The presence of cisterns will vary and that's one thing you need to ask before buying or renting.
Internet reliability varies with the provider. We had service from MegaCable and dropped it for service from the phone company, Telmex. It's quite good, but not perfect. I am told that the satellite service is best, but costs more than twice as much.

John Scherber
Author of Living San Miguel: The Heart of the Matter

Thanks for that information. We visited SMA last fall with the intention of retiring there. I am concerned about the import duty on goods ordered over the internet. I think it's pretty steep.
We are also considering Lake Chapala area even though the lake is polluted.
Any thoughts on property values in SMA going up. Is Mexico ever going to offer a decent mortgage rate?
I have heard that the travel from Texas border to SMA can be dangerous. Do you have any inside information on that?
Thanks

Greetings,
SMA and the Lake Chapala area offer great opportunities for retiring in Mexico but each has its own pros and cons. SMA is a larger city and offers more activities and night life options than LC, but traffic and congestion can be an issue depending on where you live. LC boasts one of the best climates in the world and the Guadalajara airport is only 30-45 minutes away which is important to many people. Driving to Laredo from LC takes about 12 hours but is all autopistas (interstate) . SMA is closer but more two lane roads and slower driving at points. The have been very few reports of any violence on the roads these days except for a few areas of southern Mexico. SMA has had some security issues with robberies etc. in the city, but they are making efforts to address that. SMA is also colder than the Lake Chapala area in the winter but still warmer than many northern  US cities.  I want to mention that Lake CHapala is much cleaner than in previous years and there is a strong movement to clean the lake. There are more boat activities there every year and its pollution is a topic of debate. For most it is more of a visual resource and is an important factor in the area's outstanding climate. Both areas have volunteer activities and lots of cultural events to keep you busy. By the way. electricity is actually high in Mexico but most don't' use as much, so costs do depend on the amount of electricity you use.  Good Luck
Dr Dave