Let’s Get Charitable

We collect and contribute donations to a some orphanages and sanggar belajar in Jakarta, Bandung, Riau and Makassar with plans to expand to other areas of Indonesia. I'd like to propose that those of you who do not currently support an orphanage or sanggar belajar to find out the location of your nearest one, or choose one in a less developed part of Indonesia, and start making regular contributions as we do. By directly donating, you can be certain that what you donate gets to the people who really need it.

Contributions can be:

-    Cash Donations
-    Clothes & Sandals
-    School Uniforms
-    New or used books
-    School Equipment

Due to the rainy season which can cause flooding and disease, other useful contributions are:

-    Common Medicines for fever, diarrhea, influenza, dermatological ointments
-    Mosquito repellents
-    Blankets
-    Food (biscuits, instant milk, instant noodles, cereal drink etc)
-    Cajeput Oil
-    Nasi Paket

“We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone” – Ronald Reagan

Thank you for being charitable.

[moderated: deleted requested by the author]

An elementary School at Duren Sawit, Klender. Miss Rosita hands an orphan an uang saku

Disadvantaged Kids in East Jakarta receive a donation

An old lady in Bandung who still has to work receives a donation.

An excellent sentiment and I agree that it's vital for all expats to consider “giving back” in one manner or another.  Giving money is just one way, but this requires considerable caution.  Volunteering your time, and giving away unwanted but still usable clothing and house wares is another, and requires less care.

Why does giving money involve so much caution?

Unfortunately, charity scams, particularly in the format of orphanages has been a long time problem here. 

Some tips to be sure that your donated money is going to be used the way you hope it should be used…i.e., to help those in need.

-Make sure the charity is a registered and licensed Yayasan or NGO (non government organization) under regulation GR 63/2008. 

-Ask to see their required annual statement.  What you should be looking for is verification that the vast majority of funds received are going direct to the aid of the poor in the form of food, clothing, housing, education, and medical care.  High administrative fees can signal a problem.   

-Check on the internet for their web site.   

-If possible, personally visit the site of the charity and have a look at their operation.

-Keep in mind, “charity begins at home” so it is always advisable to chose a beneficiary charity closest to where you live in Indonesia.

Roy is spot on about the problems with charities. And not only that but they might keep the cash, may have overheads, tax etc to pay.

Best is to find an orphanage or sanggar belajar near to where you live and give them a visit. Bring some books, toys, perhaps some school equipment and hand out some pocket money to each child. A guitar or an old computer would be amazing for some of these places. Bring some cookies and drinks, Anything is a luxury for these poor kids. Seeing the children's smiles is priceless.

Mikewallace76 wrote:

Roy is spot on about the problems with charities. And not only that but they might keep the cash, may have overheads, tax etc to pay.

Best is to find an orphanage or sanggar belajar near to where you live and give them a visit. Bring some books, toys, perhaps some school equipment and hand out some pocket money to each child. A guitar or an old computer would be amazing for some of these places. Bring some cookies and drinks, Anything is a luxury for these poor kids. Seeing the children's smiles is priceless.

Bravo!!!

Hello, I am new to all of this!
I just joined this site this morning from my home in Burlington, Canada; feeling the need to do something with my life to make a difference. Seeing your posts, and feeling a desperate need to help others, I would love to give of my time, especially to children.
Hopefully my past experiences vocational teaching, having a salon & operating a private career college, as well as being a mother will enable me to move forward on a path that I feel is pulling me.

Any information, advice to go forward with this is appreciated .
Keep up the great inspiration.
Humbled .
Jamie

Have a look at this organization and see what you think…

http://www.pedulisesamaphilanthropicwor … x.php/home

They are a multifaceted Yayasan based in Singaraja on the north coast of Bali.  They have been doing incredibly good work for many years and their reputation is superb.

One facet of this organization is vocational training, and year after year they can boast of 100% job placement for their graduates.  You sound like you could be a perfect fit in that aspect of their organization. 

My wife and I have been involved with this organization since day one, and its founders, Nyoman and Dr. Dewi are some of the finest people you will ever meet.  In addition to sponsoring at least one student each year, we have sent numerous volunteers to work there for certain periods of time, and each has left with life changing and enriching experiences.

If you decide to write to either Nyoman or Dr. Dewi, use the subject line, “Your brother Roy in Ubud suggested I write to you” so it gets their attention.  As you can imagine once reviewing their web site, they are incredibly busy.

If you have any questions which you think are more of a private nature, feel free to write to me via the private message function on this forum.

Whatever you decide to do, and wherever you decide to do it, good luck and Godspeed.

I had this big dream in my mind
I plan to build or rather set up a public library in my village once my contract end in April next year, and I definitely can't work alone so extra hand would be greatly  appreciated.
I had the sad feeling about how bad is education in small villages like mine, and I feel the need to do something to make a change.
Anyone who interested to work hand in hand with me just drop me message.

Regard
Bidara

Is your village small and remote? Why a library?

Not excatly remote, why library? It's the easiest way to introduce basic knowledge.and nowadays the interest to a reading for young child has downfal, they become less interested in books and learning, and choose gadget instead.

Giving space for kids to read and explore their talent is one of the best way doing charity and if it come out good I mean they get the benefit from it the result would be everlasting. Is like giving them the fishing pole to fish not giving them the fish directly.

I'm with you Bidara, I love books too, but in my part of Indonesia, they just don't last.  The climate and various paper/pulp eating bugs make short work of books unless they are stored in enclosed bookcases and in a room with air con and humidity control.

These days it seems that lap tops, smart phones and Kindles make a lot more sense for knowledge dissemination than books. 

In our village we set up two free internet cafes or what we prefer to call “electronic libraries” where still useful old computers are available for free, but there is some degree of monitoring activity with the objective to limit electronic gaming and social networking while using the electronic library.  These electronic libraries are run by our young people's association and we've found that it's a great way to get the elementary level school kids in the village exposed to and familiar with “the information age.”

Without abandoning the idea of books for your library, perhaps a combination of both would make good sense? 

In any event, good luck with your project.

Thank you pak Roy
That had already in mind,once the lib run I mean work well,putting new program such online library,giving classes(handcrafting,painting,music etc,)
Are steps we must take.we couldn't just build thing without the effort to expand and make it sustainable.
And why I need expatriate who interested in this activity is to showcase unity in this plurals nation,we living in the same planet the same air,so why not we live in harmony.
As our nation pride ' bhineka tunggal ika'
Of course I still green in this matter so advise and support are needed.

Ubudian wrote:

In our village we set up two free internet cafes or what we prefer to call “electronic libraries” where still useful old computers are available for free, but there is some degree of monitoring activity with the objective to limit electronic gaming and social networking while using the electronic library.  These electronic libraries are run by our young people's association and we've found that it's a great way to get the elementary level school kids in the village exposed to and familiar with “the information age.”

Rock on, dude.
That's a great thing to do. Two thumbs up.

Thanks Fred, but the creation of these “electronic libraries” in our village can only be credited to my wife's cousin, a Balinese of course.

Maybe this is unique to the Balinese, but I doubt it…my point being that suggestions and ideas for improvement always seem to be best received by the locals when it at least appears to be their idea, and their efforts that made it happen. 

IMHO charity through the expat venue seems to always work best when they plant the seeds, but leave the harvesting to the locals.  I like to think that what I do best is akin to a coach to a sports team.  The players win the game, the coach provides the inspiration, some expertise and personal experience.

Ubudian wrote:

Thanks Fred, but the creation of these “electronic libraries” in our village can only be credited to my wife's cousin, a Balinese of course.

Maybe this is unique to the Balinese, but I doubt it…my point being that suggestions and ideas for improvement always seem to be best received by the locals when it at least appears to be their idea, and their efforts that made it happen. 

IMHO charity through the expat venue seems to always work best when they plant the seeds, but leave the harvesting to the locals.  I like to think that what I do best is akin to a coach to a sports team.  The players win the game, the coach provides the inspiration, some expertise and personal experience.

Yes I think electronic libraries is very nice. You did good for your village sir.

I heard that there will be a charity collection in Kebayoran Baru at the "Honey and Me" Cafe on morning of 7th March 8:30 - 9:30am. They are requesting books and magazines for children aged 5 up to 15 years old. In particular, books and magazines about Science, Educational Books, Children's Magazines, Encyclopedia's in both Bahasa and English are asked for.

Hansson wrote:

I heard that there will be a charity collection in Kebayoran Baru at the "Honey and Me" Cafe on morning of 7th March 8:30 - 9:30am. They are requesting books and magazines for children aged 5 up to 15 years old. In particular, books and magazines about Science, Educational Books, Children's Magazines, Encyclopedia's in both Bahasa and English are asked for.

The name is incorrect. It is called "Honey & Me Coffee & Eatery" in Kebayoran.