Quito in Financial Times

Here's an article about Quito from Financial Times.
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/a2192fe0 … ab7de.html

Given the source, it's not surprising that it discusses business opportunities a lot and the real estate portion is mostly about $2mil mansions in Cumbaya (I'm gonna jump all over those opportunities).  :)

Good to see an Ecuador article re expatriation that isn't about Cuenca. No offense, Cuencanos, but it gets tiresome.

Re the common theme of crime:

Although tourists need to keep a wary eye on pickpockets, violent crime is much less frequent than elsewhere in South America.

And, quoting a British expat:

"By Latin-American standards the value for your dollar is incredible, and security is not an issue."

BobH wrote:

Given the source, it's not surprising that it discusses business opportunities a lot and the real estate portion is mostly about $2mil mansions in Cumbaya (I'm gonna jump all over those opportunities).  :)

Thanks for this, Bob.

The article also states that some Expats are choosing to buy in Centro Historico -- your old neighborhood -- as prices remain substantially lower per-square-whatever than in north Quito and the suburbs (Cumbaya, etc.)

I believe that this Centro value is partly because almost nobody's speaking English in the shops or the public squares;  it's practically all espanol unless you wander into one of the several fancy hotels that exist here, such as Gangotena or Patio Andalus.

cccmedia, Centro Historico, Quito

cccmedia wrote:

I believe that this Centro value is partly because almost nobody's speaking English in the shops or the public squares;  it's practically all espanol unless you wander into one of the several fancy hotels that exist here, such as Gangotena or Patio Andalus.

I think you could well be right, though I never had any problem, in spite of my wretched Spanish. How tough is it to point at the bananas and say, "Tres, por favor"? (I'd usually hold up three fingers as a backup plan).

That point is valid.

What was your thinking in deciding to exit El Centro in favor of north Quito....

cccmedia, Centro Historico

Mostly shopping -- Centro Historico has no large stores, as you know, and I got tired of taking taxis through the bad traffic to Quicentro/Megamaxi. So I moved to walking distance of those places.
I missed Centro as soon as I moved. Both places have their points.

What did you miss about Centro Historico....