Guidance on consulting while on a volunteer Class C residence permit

Mambo!

I plan on moving to Moshi in September to volunteer with an organization I have volunteered with in the past. I plan on staying in Moshi for about 1 year, and applying for a Residence Permit Class C through this organization (which I have done successfully in the past).

As I will only be volunteering part-time, I also hope to do some remote consulting work with a few clients back in the US. My question - is this allowed under a Class C Residence Permit as I will not be working for a TZ-based organization? Or do I need to instead apply for a Residence Permit Class A to do consulting work of any kind in TZ? And do I need to pay income tax or social security to TZ as I will be paying taxes to the US government?

Thank you all in advance for your help, this is quite confusing!

Best,
Eli

Hello Eli!

There is no problem as long as the organization is not Tanzanian Based. So the taxes will be charged in USA. And since you have not violated rules in your resident permit.

Karibu Arusha, if it happens you are around here.

Thanks Henry, this is very helpful!

Hi Henry (and others),

I have a follow up question regarding Tanzania income tax for expats not working for a Tanzania-based organization.

To re-summarize:

-I will be living in Tanzania under a Residence Permit Class C (volunteer), and doing some volunteering for a Tanzanian NGO.

- I will also be working for my American employer, but not doing work for Tanzania. I will continue to be paid directly into my American bank account.

In this situation, my assumption (confirmed by Henry) below is that I do not have to pay Tanzanian income tax (as I will be paying US income tax). Can anyone point me to a Tanzanian document/law/regulation that verifies this to be true so I can show my American employer?

Thank you all for your help!

Best,
Eli