Moving to johannesburg in June 2015

Hello Jozi,

I'm based out of India and working for a IT company and now moving to SA on work. My wife is totally against this decision as she was advised by her friends that it's not a safe place and you are not at owace at any point and do ways at risk. Please let me know if this is true and I wish to know where to live in JHB as my work loc umis sandton . How are schools and will accept children between terns. Please advise which schools are near sandton area.

Hi Edwink,

Please know that there is always the threat of crime wherever you move. Just like any country out there, crime is present in South Africa. It's true that SA has gotten a very bad reputation over the years, with crimes such as theft, robbery, muggings, hijackings, murders and rapes, but please realize that every country suffers of these. Often these crimes are blown out of proportion and widely reported on by the media in SA, which creates a fake sense of lack of safety, while in truth, with a bit of common sense and cautious behaviour, you do not ever need to be the victim of any of these!
You will find that the majority of Expats here, or even South Africans, have not been the victim of a crime, or just the victim of minor theft (cellphone stolen when left unattended, smash and grab from a parked car, due to GPS and wallet left in sight or other petty crimes that happened due to negligence).

Just be cautious, look around you before you drive through your gate, opt for a reputable security company, discourage theft by installing a good alarm system with beams, limit the number of strangers that enters and exits your property (especially workers such as gardeners, maids or contractors). Most house robberies and theft occur due to inside information being supplied to syndicates.

You will find that there are plenty of "good" neighbourhoods and areas in Joburg, where your wife will feel safe walking around. These are mostly the upmarket areas. Of course, she should get around with caution (as in any country out there) and avoid dingy back roads, not display jewellery and valuables and avoid walking alone if possible (though perfectly acceptable in a lot of instances).
South Africa is not as bad as it is made out to be. Just don't give criminals the opportunity to take advantage of you. Be alert and vigilant, and research any unknown areas that you may be going to.

Unfortunately I cannot advise you on the schooling system here, since I didn't attend school in this country, and have no children attending school.

But chin up and good luck! In the end, it's up to you and your wife to make the mutual decision to move here or not. I also hope that many others reply to your topic, so you can gather various opinions and draw a conclusion.