When a girl says : <insert your name > dang ghet ?

Been talking to this girl (26) , who we share a mutual friend (who has been an Australian male friend of mine for many years - he actually put us in contact) pretty much every day for close to 8 months now. Viber, Zalo, face to face on skype etc etc.

Anyway, she commonly says to me "David dang ghet" which when using a translator program or Viet Nam dictionary, seems to lose something in the translation.

Any girls care to comment ? or guys have you been called "dang ghet" by a girl before ?

I have my own impressions but I am just interested to know if this is common and what the common understanding is when a girls says this to you - not just once but many times.

Thanks.

Hey,

"David dang ghet"  i guess she like you =))

Sometime, it mean with her, you are best friend or very close friend!

Dangerous to even take a stab without the diacritics. 

For example, dáng ghét comes out as "hateful."  But I'm presuming the first word is đang, the tense-word meaning "currently."  Even so, ghet isn't promising irrespective of diacritic embellishment.

"David dang ghet" (Why dont you think It is a specific name?, that she uses to call you, only you and just for you)
It's a cute name. Maybe you feel uncomfortable by the way she calls you. But I think she is so lovely. She is giving you a special sentiment.

Ghet is hate. Dang ghet is like I so hate you.

Now the context it is used between loving couples is usually a playful affectionate love. Usually said when you make or do something to make her happy.  If she says it after a compliment than it is her way of saying thanks. If she says dang ghet in a foul mood that means she really does hate you.

I hope I made sense. 😀

Hi,I read your post and it makes me a bit fun for today, thank you.

Please let me explain as a woman: I think as a relationship ( friendship) with you, she defines you as a closed person. Because no any vnese girl says : name's +" đáng ghét" directly (face to face) if you are her boss, her teacher,or a friend she feels distanced to talk with.

It also means you have some types of chracteristics which makes her funny , impressed. It doesn't mean your acts are always funny to her, sometime it troubles, but in general, she still like it.

Well, vietnamese sometimes is easy to make foreigner misunderstanding, because it needs you don't always understand words in "black meaning" , you need to put into the context when/how people use to understand them right.

I find it is cute when a foreigner has such questions.^^

My Vietnamese wife says, "It means she doesn't like him," which could make sense, given that "ghet" means "hate".

However, I have heard Vietnamese women say "dang ghet" of children many times, when they clearly thought the children were adorable. When I asked a woman about this one day, she replied that superstition ruled out saying "adorable".

I doubt I'm the only one getting sick an' bleedin' tired of these nutty superstitions.  Can't say adorable?  Bad luck to take precautions?  "Draw out the poison?"

Can't whistle at night because it conjures up spirits. Can't speak of death onto someone else even though that person is miles away.  Can't visit my grandfather's tombstone because my age is not compatible with the current year.

You have to realize the locals were brought up with these superstitions that got passed along and they have deep respect for their elderlies. I get into numerous arguments with my wife because she will follow her aunt and uncle advice over mines despite mines being the same advice or the right advice in the end.

Education and seeing the world will slowly erode these superstitions as it is doing to religion.

@ussieDave wrote:

Been talking to this girl (26) , who we share a mutual friend (who has been an Australian male friend of mine for many years - he actually put us in contact) pretty much every day for close to 8 months now. Viber, Zalo, face to face on skype etc etc.

Anyway, she commonly says to me "David dang ghet" which when using a translator program or Viet Nam dictionary, seems to lose something in the translation.

Any girls care to comment ? or guys have you been called "dang ghet" by a girl before ?

I have my own impressions but I am just interested to know if this is common and what the common understanding is when a girls says this to you - not just once but many times.

Thanks.

When a Vietnamese girl says " dang ghet " - " đáng ghét " , it means you place an important role in her life.

You didn't tell your current relation ship with her. But i think It's about time for a real date, face to face huh ?!  :par:

Yeah, I am sure she likes you so much, so she call you like that.
In Vietnam, sometimes we feel shy if we pay compliment to others, so we always use some "negative" words but with "positive" meaning :D. It's not easy to understand, right :D?
When we see a lovely kid, some will say: you are so lovely (bé thật đáng yêu!), but sometimes, we also say "dễ ghét quá à", "ghét" means "hate". But these 2 sentences are the same meaning :D!

I go through all these little superstitious taboos with my vn wife too, but I tend to find them more interesting than annoying

Thank you to everyone who replied for your thoughts :)

My advise is NEVER guess what they mean!

Just ask them directly for an answer then you will know the true meaning and get to understand her better. :cool:

There are some phrases and words that are just not directly translatable. Sometimes you have to deal with an approximation. Sometimes an English speaking Vietnamese girl will say, "I hate you!" which I accept as a compliment. Many times I have been told I am fat, ugly and very handsome. Bó tay luôn........

it is kind of express her feeling usesurely it is a good meaning  in viet nam instead of saying" you are lovely " they have a tend say opposite " you are not  lovely" simple like that.
:)