Reasons NOT to live in Germany?! Help!!!

I am seriously thinking of moving to Germany - lots of positive reasons of course. But I found this, and I would appreciate any informed thoughts. Thanks in advance...

1. Germans do not want to own property, most Germans prefer to rent and purchase a property overseas. Germany has one of the lowest home ownerships in the European Union. Ask yourself why Germans do not want to own a property in their own country?

2. German Banks hit by lending to failed American Banks, helping fuelling the property bubble in the USA,- before the market collapsed, were some of the hardest Banks to get a mortgage from. In fact it was rare for a Bank or Mortgage company to consider more than a 50- 60% mortgage on a German property. Why did the Banks shun encouraging home ownership in their own Country?

3. Germany is a litigation state. Germans are the most likely to sue in the European Union. The state encourage this. And many States do not even need evidence to award damages in civil courts. One reason, many Germans say its better to own nothing in there own Country,- its safer.

4. If you work and own property in Germany, and become unemployed. You are not entitled to unemployment benefits. Germany has a 'means tested' benefit system, and many property owners once they become unemployed- simply have to sell to survive.

5. Damaging a property in Germany is not considered a criminal act, and neither is trespassing. Many properties get vandalized, and German Law states it is a civil law case- as long as you can prove who damaged the property.

6. Utility and other bills related to the property, are some of the highest in the European Union, compared to average salaries. The use of alternative energy such as solar power is "illegal" unless you get permission from the local authorities or the local electricity company- One reason few Germans use green energy.

Hello Stafan,

I've have worked and lived in Germany for a long time.
Where on earth did you get the information? A lot of is incorrect: Let have a look :

Stefan64 wrote:

I am seriously thinking of moving to Germany - lots of positive reasons of course. But I found this, and I would appreciate any informed thoughts. Thanks in advance...

1. Germans do not want to own property, most Germans prefer to rent and purchase a property overseas. Germany has one of the lowest home ownerships in the European Union. Ask yourself why Germans do not want to own a property in their own country?

1A) A lot of Germans do indeed want to own their House  - in fact one of the most favoured savings plan is a "Bauspar Vertrag" or literally "House-owning savings plan". A lot of my German friends own their houses and only a very few are in rented accomodation.
Houses are better build, with usually a cellar and are cheaper here than in England.

2. German Banks hit by lending to failed American Banks, helping fuelling the property bubble in the USA,- before the market collapsed, were some of the hardest Banks to get a mortgage from. In fact it was rare for a Bank or Mortgage company to consider more than a 50- 60% mortgage on a German property. Why did the Banks shun encouraging home ownership in their own Country?

2A) Again wrong - with a "Bauspar plan" you can get a morgage up to about 95%. It was the American that sold the germans worthless CDO's that caused the economic chaos..

3. Germany is a litigation state. Germans are the most likely to sue in the European Union. The state encourage this. And many States do not even need evidence to award damages in civil courts. One reason, many Germans say its better to own nothing in there own Country,- its safer.

3A) This is absolute rubbish!

4. If you work and own property in Germany, and become unemployed. You are not entitled to unemployment benefits. Germany has a 'means tested' benefit system, and many property owners once they become unemployed- simply have to sell to survive.
4A) Is there no end to this Cr**.... Wrong if you are unemployed you get state help - period.

5. Damaging a property in Germany is not considered a criminal act, and neither is trespassing. Many properties get vandalized, and German Law states it is a civil law case- as long as you can prove who damaged the property.

5A) This may well be partly true - but I would need to consult a lawyer on this - get back to you on that.

6. Utility and other bills related to the property, are some of the highest in the European Union, compared to average salaries. The use of alternative energy such as solar power is "illegal" unless you get permission from the local authorities or the local electricity company- One reason few Germans use green energy.

6A) Right about the high energy costs - very wrong about green energy!!!!

Hi Bonzadog.

Thankyou for replying and your thoughts! I am pleased that you beleieve these views to be c..p. I did wonder how valid the these comments where, that's why I wanted more opinion.

All the best to you!!

Found this article here:

ezinearticles.com/?Eight-Reasons-Not-to-Invest-in-a-Property-in-Germany&id=3266788

I am glad you found my comments of some use.

If I can help further send an EMail or message.

all the best.

BG

Regarding buying property, it's true that many Germans rent instead of buying, but this is more often out of necessity than by choice.  Property is very expensive in Germany, especially in the big cities and many people can't afford to own property or to do so without giving up a lot of things that make life enjoyable.  This is true even for people that earn good money.  Also, real estate is seen as a long term investment and flipping property doesn't seem to be that common here as it is in North America.

I've lived here in Germany going on two years now.  Many pluses to live here.  On minus for sure is the higher tax rate, but if you are married with kids the tax break is substantial.  Plus, the government gives you "Kindergeld" Children money, if you have a child under 18 (up to 19 if they are in the Gymnasium(German college-prep school)).  I do advise not to import your car here no matter how cool it is.  If there is a lien especially not.  I have the problem myself right now.  Of course if it is paid off and you've had it for more than a year, then it wouldn't be too big of a problem.  Although, the conversion fee will be around 2000€.  I hope this helps a little eventhough it isn't an answer you asked for.  I think the previous posts were dead on so... no need to re-invent the wheel.