Brazilian immmigrants back in Brazil

A couple of years ago i was reading in Folha de Sao Paulo this article about brazilians that are coming back from a long stay in foreign countries and the problems they are facing to readapt and reintegrate in the brazilian society .

Studied by the neuropsychiatrist doctor Decio Nakagawa and named  " Regression Syndrome ".
It seems readapting in the home country is more difficult then adapting to a foreign one , about two years for a full reintegration and there is nothing being done by the authorities to help those individuals to overcross this , leading many of them to isolation or to regret and want to return to the places where they wore before

What I'm asking is , can this happen to citizens from developed countries or is this a characteristic of only the developing ones like Brazil ?

Second , is Brazil going to have a substantial " Reverse migration " or ex - immigrants returning in the near future and should it give more attention to this problem and the needs of this people ?

Here is the article from Folha de Sao Paulo :

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/equilibrio … esso.shtml

Please excuse my poor English .

Claudiu D.

Hello Claudiu,

Yes, the phenomenon you are talking about is more commonly known as Reverse Culture Shock. I can happen to anyone upon repatriation, but often is more pronounced in those who have spent prolonged periods away from their homelands.

For more details see my posting on the subject:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=196136

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

Yeah, as James said, it's very common.

I lived in South Africa for a few years working at a school aimed towards foreigners. At the end of the school, we always had to spend at least a week on classes for the students on Reverse Culture Shock and going home. We did this to lessen the shock, but even with the best preparation, you still get hit pretty hard with it. I would say it's pretty irrelevant where the student was from.

Personally, reverse culture shock hits me much harder than normal culture shock

Great written English!

Once we have lived in another country for a length of time, perhaps a minimum of 6 months, we change.  Our eyes are open to the reality of our own countries.  Many, or not most, become international citizens, or commonly known as "internationals", even when back in their own country.  I, and many others, have found that many of our richest relationships are with other internationals, who also see the big picture.  Seek these out.  Minas International, a NGO in Belo Horizonte, is a good example.  It is a club for internationals, foreigners and Brazilians who have lived overseas.

Thank you guys for the unsers ,

Very interesting to see the this doesn't happen only to people from developing countries  that often migrate because of the hard life back home .
  I already experienced this reverse cultural shock  in this 13 years living in Brazil and know that it becomes harder to overcome when you got emotionally involved with someone here .

I think that brazilian immigrants coming back can be the key of the positive change ,hope only that the society will be opened for their progressivist ideas .

Claudiu D.