How is kuwait?Plan to come live there with husband soon from S.Africa

Hi Guys

im new to this Expat.com, I am currently living my Johannesburg South Africa with my hubby, we;ve been married for 2 years now , no kids as yet. Can anyone tell me how Kuwait is as we plan on visiting there soon.

cant answer your question, but i can tell you that we (family) are from Jhb and moving to Kuwait by the end of March!

Hello jackie23 and welcome on board Expat.com

I invite you to browse through threads in our section Everyday Life in Kuwait so as to gather some infos of how life is there. You may also interact and participate on the threads to gather infos from expats living there or create a new thread in that section to get answers you wish to have.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com team

if you are coming for a job, that is great.

if not, Kuwait is not for you. it is expensive to live here and unless you are getting a salary from here, it will be expensive to convert anything into KDs.

Ask yourself the question: are you a glass half empty or half full type of person...  Kuwait is a tough country but I has wonderful opportunities and is a good place for families - e.g. there is a cinema complex devoted only to families - as a single person you can't go in.  There is no wine here (legally) but it is a smoker's paradise... people smoke everywhere...and I mean EVERYWHERE... I gave up smoking two months before coming here, and its been a bit difficult to abstain.  Hehehe

Visiting as tourist, Im not sure what you are going to do here.  There are some attractions, and shopping can be seen as the national past time.  There are some activities to do, but coming from South Africa where tourism is a paramount industry, do not expect the same here.  Here people work, eat and sleep.  Very little play. 

For work, Kuwait is ideal.  The exchange rate is wonderful for South Africans who want to send money back.  Recently treated my parents back home with luxuries I bought them via the internet for the same amount of money I spend here on two taxi trips.  Just make sure you have a sense of humour when you work here, and that you keep a low profile and take it easy.  Get to learn some basic Arabic - it will help.  English is not always spoken.

Good luck and have fun!