10 Important Changes Of New Immigration Law Of Vietnam From 2015

In recently, I got many questions related the changes of New Vietnam Immigration Law, how its changes effect and which
department of Vietnam Government they can contact to solve their problems. In this article, I summarise the most interested information in recent for members can follow and discuss:

1. Issue Five Year Visa and Resident Cards for Foreign Investors:
In the past, the Foreign Investors only obtain limits 1 year visa and 3 year resident card.

2. A Type Of Visa will NOT able to be changed/converted after applicants entered Vietnam.
It means that someone entered Vietnam with a tourist visa (symbol is DL) may not be able to convert it to a working visa (symbol is LD) in country.

3. Type of Visa is changed of symbol. From 10 main types (A, B, C, D…) to 20 types (DH, DL, LD,etc.) which specified more clear for purpose visiting.
For example:
DL instead of C1 is granted for tourist purposes.
LD instead of B3 is granted for business purposes.

4. Extend 3 month visa term offered to overseas Vietnamese to 6 months. This is better for visiting relatives in Vietnam.

5. Foreign citizen visiting economic zone along the border and special administration & economic zones will NO need visa when visit Vietnam.

6. People from the countries have Vietnam Visa Exemption can visit Vietnam unlimited number of times but limited period from the previous exit to the next entry time - It means that the citizens from these country can only visit Vietnam with FREE VISA at least 30 days after their preceding visit.

If they want to enter Vietnam sooner, they have to apply Vietnam visa.

7. Vietnamese Immigration Officers at the border gates ( for example Moc Bai, Mong Cai, Lao Cao etc. ) can issue visa for all citizens of the countries which lack of Vietnam Consular presence,

8. Minister of Public Security and this minister have authority in approving the PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD for foreign citizens.

9. The procedures for issuing TEMPORARY RESIDENT CARD have been simplified and extended the permission from 3 to 5 years.

10. From March 10 2013, foreign visitors can visit Phu Quoc Island ( Kien Giang Province) maximum 30 days without visa. However, if you need visit the other places in Vietnam, you should have apply visa. This exemption also applies for who transiting through any airport or seaport in Vietnam.

Thanks for this summary.  I was unware that several visas are extended.

I read a lot into that "may" under (2).  Thus is my situation, but my employer is handling my work visa, so I don't yet know if I'll have to leave.

The change No. 2 mentions that applicant could NOT change/convert their original type of visa when they want to extend visa. They just only apply the new one. In your case, your employer apply working visa (LD) for you, so you cannot changed your visa type to tourist visa (DL) or the other visa type

from my understanding they used to give B3 visas to anyone with 3 month multiple entry visas. I have a B3 but i don't have work permit and when i get a new visa i'm not sure if it'll be DL or LD

im thinking LD will be the ones with a work permit, no?

I would imagine that if you desire to be working in Vietnam you are required to have a 'work permit' and a Tax ID to go with it.  You enter with a Visitors Visa, you leave with a Visitors Visa or any other without receiving a in country change or extension.  (I'm sure that there will be the one or several expensive ways to get around that.)  Five or six years back I used to work without a 'permit', but had a contract in the 'hopes' that the company would end up getting a permit...(stated over and over again..."working on it").  I got fed up, started to teach for companies and universities that did the 'work permits', even had Temp. Resident Cards (TRC), twice..That was all in HCMC...Now, in DaNang, even "AMA" said it would be at least 6 months before getting one...after 4 days, I walked.  That was over a year ago.  Now, I'm permitted to teach out of my residence (granted by the Ministry of Education here in DaNang).  Along with a 5 year Visa, and 10 bucks every 3 months, it seems to be working fine.  I've been doing that since August, 2014.
After living here in Vietnam for over 11 years, I think the changes should be a good thing.  You come here thinking about staying, look around on Visitor Visa, find a place to hang your hat, get hired; have them file the paperwork for the permit; take a weekend or week holiday away in Cambodia and have the paperwork for permit and visa at the airport or entry upon arrival. 
With a bit of luck, this will get rid of the unskilled and make the schools here become 'responsible' in obtaining the proper permits for their teachers.  I can remember seeing the price for a 'work permit' (400,000 VND) on the immigration wall.  Many of these schools are taking advantage of the foreign (instructors) and the parents of the children and students and making a financial mint off of both!  Time it started to turn around.  Perhaps it will improve over time...

Perhaps this will help you to get  'permit'...you have to do very little...it is up to the company (school) to process the application. 
Proof you are qualified to teach (notarized) and (red stamped) certified in Vietnam)
Resume/photo/s
Valid Passport
Contract from School
Not a criminal in your home country or in Vietnam
Physical Examination to provide Health Certification
Just like it states below...took me about 12 days the last time.  I would imagine this has not changed...

HOW TO APPLY:

The process of applying or renewing a work permit for foreigners in Vietnam includes 2 main steps:

Step 1: Completing the application form and submiting it at the municipal office of Department of Labor, Invalid and Society. The application consists of:

› A filled form of applying for the work permit
› Work application or confirmation of work change (by the employers).
› The judicial profile issued by the authority of the resident country or the municipal office of Justice in Vietnam (if have lived in Vietnam for more than 6 months)
› The autobiographical profile with photo
› Health certificate issued in residential country or in Vietnam
› Copies of qualifications or professional certificates or confirmation of qualifications by authorized offices
› 3 color photos (3x4cm) that has been taken within 1 year.

Step 2: Coming to the submission center and collecting the work permit.

PROCESSING TIME AND FEE:

The processing time is 15 working days.

Fee: Fee for a work permit application in Vietnam varies with three major levels:

› For new applicants: VND400, 000/permit (USD 20).
› For re-issued work permits: VND 300,000/permit (USD15).
› For renewal work permits: VND 200,000/permit (USD 10).

There should be no problem with them getting your work permit with all the proper doc's.  At worse, it should only take at max 2 weeks to get complete (once submitted).  Changing your 'visa' should not be a real hassle.  You are on a 'business' visa and looking for or applying for a job.  If the school grants you a contract and you can get the proper paperwork back here to Vietnam in time that March date should not be a problem. 
The Immigration Office here has actually bent over backwards for me in the past 18 months.  They are great!  I've got no complaints what so ever. I've got a website, not sure if I am allowed to post it...but, horizonforseasia.org...has my e-mail on it as well, also have a skype for contacts also and we can hook up and perhaps inquire about your visa on Thursday afternoon when I plan on taking my passport to immigrations to get my 3 month stamp... let me know.

Hello,

Does anyone have more details about (1-Resident Cards for Foreign Investors) or can refer me to someone that has (aside from going to an immigration lawyer)?

In particular I'm interested to understand if there is a minimum investment required in order to qualify for this type of resident card.
I have been searching here in this forum and have googled this subject but aside from the general facts I could not find anything helpful.

Thanks
Steve

This is what it used to be prior to January 1, 2015 for a TRC.   I don't think much has changed. 
There are several requirements and rather long...if you google 'requirements for investments for foreigners in Vietnam' there are several to get you started.  A good place to start would be the Labor Department.  The English speaking staff in DaNang are/were very helpful.  HCMC, would be another story...good luck.

Who is eligible?

Be member of a limited company with at least 2 members
    Be owner of one member Limited Company in Vietnam (except for Representative of being authorized)
    Be member of Board of Directors of a Vietnamese Joint-stock Company
    Foreign Lawyers are granted with law work permit in Vietnam
    Foreign employers with related work permit working in Vietnamese enterprises or Representative offices of foreign company in Vietnam
    Professionals, students, trainees working or studying in national programs and projects signed by ministries and approved by the Government
    Be family member of those who were granted with Vietnam temporary or permanent residence card)

How to apply for Temporary Residence Card?

The procedure to obtain TCR comprises of these following documents:

The written request for TCR (form N7A), declaration of information on foreigners applying for TRC ( Form N7B) with 2 photos sized 3 x 4 cm
    One copy of passport and visa ( bring the original for comparison)
    One copy of legal profiles (bring the original for comparison) of the agency, organization or enterprise guaranteeing application for Vietnam temporary residence cards. Depending on specific cases, you may be required to bring Business registration Certificate or Investment Certificate or License for the establishment of representative office or company branch, one copy of work permit (bring the original for comparison)
    Proof of temporary residence registration by ward police
    For case of family member, the proof of relation includes birth certificates, marriage registration, family population book

Processing time and Fees

The processing time is 5 working days from the date of receiving complete documents; the renewal may take up to 14 days
    The fee varies according to time limit of TCR ranging from 60USD – 100USD

Hint for you: To save time and avoid paperwork hassle, you may apply for Temporary Residence Card from a Vietnamese travel agency. The service charge can be a bit higher than normal.

Temporary Residence Card, Apply to Vietnam,Vietnam visa,Vietnam visa on arrival

- Have questions? Call us TODAY: (+84) 986 364 851
- See more at: http://www.immivietnamvisa.com/general- … IfFWC.dpuf

Haven't heard from you since our last conversation regarding immigration.  I found out yesterday there is a travel agent in DaNang that will sponsor individuals (no idea the cost) to get their visa's "extended" without leaving the country.  Five individuals were told to go somewhere by the immigration office just yesterday.  Don't know if it helps you or not.  You said you had until March 16th...How's things going with your paperwork from SF?  How about the school here...any help there on your work permit and contract. 
I tried to send you a text message, but no response back?