Need advice

Hi everyone,

It's been a while now that I would like to spend some tim down under and I'm considering moving to Sydney at the beginning of next year.

About me, I am 33 and I am a software engineer with many years of experience. I've spent 3 years in London (UK) and now live in France since July last year. The visa I will likely aim for is the Temporary Work Skilled visa 457.

In order to find a job I need to be sponsored by an Australian company and no doubt that it will be much easier for me to find a job once I get my feet in the country, so I was thinking about going to Australia with a tourist visa (I think I can stay 3 months in the country with this type of visa) and once I am in Sydney, I will try to find a job and be sponsored by a company.

Can you tell me if the fact that I will be in the Australia with a tourist visa looking to be sponsored will be an issue for me?
Can you also tell me if there is anything I haven't considered?

Thanks in advance,
Manuel

You can look for work on a tourist visa but you may have to leave the country to get a work visa. 

For visa information and applications www.immi.gov.au 

For jobs www.seek.com.au

For cost of living www.numbeo.com 
FYI the cost of living is very high here and so you need to make sure you have sufficient funds for at least 6 months or more. 
Australia is now the 6th highest cost country to live and work in.

Hi Manuel, if you are in Australia on a tourist visa without "no further stay" condition, you will be able to apply for a sc. 457 visa onshore.

Be mindful of the "genuine visitor" requirements associated with tourist visas. If your intention is to travel to Australia to try and seek residence, you may be considered not to be a "genuine tourist" and be refused entry. So turning up with a bag full of resumes etc. might not be a good idea.

Other than that you should have no issues.

Best of luck,

Nick van Voorst