Moving to Cairo next week! Exciting! :)

Hi everyone!  I've taking a teaching position and I arrive in Cairo next week for the first time!  I'm so excited and I can't wait to be exploring the city! 

I'd really appreciate any hints or tips from you all.  What I should pack,  what areas I should look to live in, how to find a flatmate, good places to go....anything and everything!

I look forward to meeting some of you soon I hope x

Wicked! i was living in Oxford for the past 2 years and just came 2 weeks ago, i was doing my masters there and now job hunting in Cairo. The best areas for me are Zamalek and Mohandesein . Zamalek/Mohendeseien is kind of knightsbridge in London, so its posh u'll find the good places to go out.
I recommend that u look for a place in Zamalek.

I don't think that u should take any thing specific, but i don't know anything regarding how to find a flatmate since cairo is my country , but i had some foreign friends at my Uni. and i know that used to check facebook for flats to rent in cairo and some adds on google.

I have an italian friend, my neighbour he is renting a nice flat for about 4500 Egyptian pound.

hope that helps, welcome to Cairo!!

@ SamPam

I think there are classifieds on the site here where people wanted flatmates :)https://www.expat.com/en/classifieds/africa/egypt/

Well as for the area you should look to live generally Maadi, Zamalek,  Mohandessen & Heliopolis are ok, but I think first & foremost it should depend on your work's location & whether or not your employer will be providing transportation vs you driving or using public transportation.. If you can tell us that we can recommend more wisely :)

Traffic here is murder :D, & you don't want to spend 3 hrs/day on the road ;).

As for good places to go well I think that depends on what you like to do ( opera, dancing, ...etc)

But I think IrishAlex summarized most of these places in this post

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41572

If you skim through the forum you can find a lot of info & the best answers to most of the questions :)

Glad to help any time :)

Craigs list have a lot of offer for renting your own apartment and sharing it with a room mates and everything you might need..

check it out ;)

cairo.craigslist.org/

please buzz me if you need any help regards anything !!

P.S. If you love simple stuff then i am sure you will be in love with Cairo.

Hi,
Welcome to Cairo.
For specific information or practical help, just reply.
Access and effective assistance available for serious needs.
Good luck.
IMIG, PhD

welcome to cairo, and congratulations for your job. your accomodation depends upon the locations of ur work, if you have already taken an apartment and looking for somone to share, you can post an add on the blog, i think its easiest way to get a flatmte. Regarding you packing, just bring ur normal luggage, but dont forgwt to have some some warm clothes like light sweater and jacket, because its begining to be cold at nights here. 

cario is nice place to live, a nice blend of ancient times and new  culture. Wish you a safe journey and a very nice sstay in cairo.

Thank you all for your comments!  I've been in Cairo for two months now and I absolutely love it here!!  I'm in a shared apartment in Zamalek and busy exploring this amazing city! 

I'd love any suggestions for good places to go on my days off :)

Sam xoxox

da_inj wrote:

Hi
I have also just moved to cairo, any tips?

if you like swimming follow this thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=53174

Hi

if you haven't been to khan el khalili before, just try to go there.

If you need any help don't hesitate to ask me : ) cheers.