Lawyer referral

Could someone recommend a trustworthy, reasonably priced  attorney to help with paperwork for a DR Provisional Residency Permit?
I would prefer the attorney be located near Sosua, but I think you have to go to Santo Domingo for the medical exam anyway.
Is that correct?  What would be a reasonable price for this legal service for a couple? 
Thanks for any information you can provide on this subject.
Gracias.

Yes you do have to go to SD to get the paper work filed, labs done and such. Then you need to return 4 months later (or more depending on your lawyers speed and the speed of the Government) to get your picture and cards.  Yes you will get a cedula (national ID card) and temporary residency card at the same time.
I will PM you the name of the lawyer we use as well as almost all of our clients and friends.  She will meet you at her office in Santiago (even pick you up at the bus station), take you to SD, hold your hand the whole way, some how cut lines and make the process painless.  She is also much cheaper then most of the other lawyers.  She will make it painless for you. I do not want to put her info on a public board so I will PM you.
Please do not hesitate to ask any other questions.
Welcome to the DR, are you here full time?  Where on the norht coast are you?  We live between Sosua and Cabarete.

Bob K

Thanks so much for the information, email, and quick reply.
We are planning a vacation to the DR and exploring retirement options, perhaps just part-time, on the north coast.
I appreciate this forum and its participants for the insight they provide.

Hello all,

I also have need of a competent, reasonably priced (read, "low cost") attorney to help with the various stages of residency, and ultimately citizenship.  I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Renard1

Renard,

Just sent you a pm

Bob K

Bob  I would appreciate if you could send me this info too. I had been looking for it but beside some tit bits here and there I could not find reliable info on obtaining a PR card.
Thank you for your help on this forum.

It seems that getting resident visa is not a difficult proposition in DR? Anyone from any nation can come in on a tourist Visa and spend few months in DR and can apply for the resident visa? Just seems to me that many folks from other nations [where folks just want to get out] would flock to DR if it was that easy OR may be I dont understand the process!  It is probably the later if some one could throw some light on this issue!

Thank you

Vin

Vin
I sent you a PM

Bob K

Most lawyers charge between $1,000 and $1,500. I know a lawyer that will do it for $800. It is not a hard process, if you have a lawyer.

Getting  residency is a  fairly  simple  task with a lawyer. Unless you know the language and the system then it is best to hire someone to help you. A  good lawyer can make this fairly  pain free.

It is pretty  easy for almost anyone to get residency here. Many  expats just show up on a tourist visa and settle in.At some point they  apply for residency.

It is possible to find work without  residency. You can  buy  real estate,  a car etc etc  without residency. You  can open a company without residency.

BUT  remember that  until you do apply for residency  you are technically  illegal. IF there are any problems you are  hanging in the wind so to speak.

The government is cracking down.  They are putting   processes in place to cut  down on illegal employees.  They will make it worth your while to apply for residency and get legal.

In my opinion, it is  fairly inexpensive, if you are going to live here then  you should show respect for your chosen home and get legal.In many cases those who  do not apply for residency  have some "reason" why they cannot get it - either  medical or legal.