Cost of living in Puerto Rico – 2015

Rey - This box (And the hundreds of others like it) are using a well known media server software called Kodi. Kodi is able to stream from servers it has been configured to work with. What you essentially have is small guys like you and me recording these programs and uploading them to private servers and Kodi streaming from the servers.

It's extremely effective and most don't have any sort of monthly fees.

For me, I stick to Netflix for the most part, mostly because I don't want to hear complaints from the family when one of the streaming servers is down or slow, etc...

Yes Rey, it is $89! :)
And you need an IPTV provider. You can find them in the internet.
It is really a great thing, I can watch television from Germay too and feel like I am back home! :)

Or inappropriate content for the grandkids.
I imagine that in that case, some of the material may be copyrighted and being shown without permission, if correct reminds me of the time when music was like that and all the law suits.

I don"t have any problems. You need a fast Internet connection, thats for sure.
I watch everything from CNN to German TV.
We were thinking to buy the amazon firebox, but ended up with what we have now.
Netflix is only for movies right?
We had Dish before and this people are crazy! We endet up paying $120 Dollar a month and when it rained we could not watch at all. This is sooo much better and cheaper!

I don't think so!

Netflix has a lot of TV shows and movies. We don't watch much tv honestly, but when we do, there's always something on Netflix. Netflix actually  has some very good original series that you can only find there.

Don't forget that if you have Amazon prime, you also have free prime video included with that prime subscription. The selection isn't nearly as good as Netflix, but there are some good picks in there.

I use an Apple TV, I get Netflix, HULU, HBO, and a bunch of other stuff, plenty to watch, for local news I use my computer web browser. Hope Apple comes out with the local channels soon.

By the way Marion, both Hulu, Netflix, HBO and others also has TV series, not just movies. You can also use your computer browser to go to CBS, NBC, and others to see recent shows, but you are getting those with your box anyway.

As to Amazon prime, it is too confusing for me, they do not seem to have a free category, it is all mixed and I get tired of looking for what to watch that is free with the subscription. So I don't used it except for packages in the mail. My wife has more patience than I do so she uses it sometimes.

Rey - If you go to the actual prime video page, everything there is free and included with Prime. We have a Roku and just open up the app and everything in the "Prime Instant Video" category is free. - http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Instant-Vid … 2676882011

But yeah, we don't use it much either. 99% is roku, the rest is...acquired through other means.

SpecialKev wrote:

Rey - If you go to the actual prime video page, everything there is free and included with Prime. We have a Roku and just open up the app and everything in the "Prime Instant Video" category is free. - http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Instant-Vid … 2676882011

But yeah, we don't use it much either. 99% is roku, the rest is...acquired through other means.

Cool I will check it out.
Thanks

Thank you, Marion!

I've a question about the IPTV box.  Can you get your local channels and the regular news channels (Fox, CNN, etc) also?  Hubby likes to watch the news channels.

Is this the one you use? http://www.iptvandroidkodi.com/

Yes you do! We get the channels from her and the channels from the US and all around the world!

From here, not her!

I think we really need to look into this because our cable bill here is ridiculous with only basic channels.  Thank you for all the information!

You are welcome! Have a nice day!

La Placita de Santurce Market. Everyday since 7am you could go and buy fresh produce.

Has anyone ever considered off grid living here or having solar or wind to bring down bills?

no2nwo wrote:

Has anyone ever considered off grid living here or having solar or wind to bring down bills?

It is best to first get about 3 electric bills before you decide on going with Solar or Wind power. This will let you determine if the cost of those systems makes sense based on your use / pocket book.

Also have to consider night time and or calm days, you probably would want to stay connected to the AEE electric system for night time and or windless days. A battery will do the job but again, the cost may not make it worth it.

A lot of people just use Air Conditioner at bed time, change to LED lighting and use LP for cooking which is a lot cheaper than electric. You may not need air conditioner at all for sleep in the mountains, in winter some areas drop to 55F.

Rey.

Meanwhile in Switzerland, I paid 28.90 CHF (about $29.95 USD) for a box of a dozen Dunkin Donuts yesterday. They were worth every cent.

Good point Rey! When I was in Aibonito in January it was 58 degrees one morning. All of the locals were complaining about the cold!

In the condo we rented in Maunabo I installed ceiling fans. They have made it cool enough (borderline) to not use A/C.

ReyP wrote:
no2nwo wrote:

It is best to first get about 3 electric bills before you decide on going with Solar or Wind power. This will let you determine if the cost of those systems makes sense based on your use / pocket book.

Also have to consider night time and or calm days, you probably would want to stay connected to the AEE electric system for night time and or windless days. A battery will do the job but again, the cost may not make it worth it.

A lot of people just use Air Conditioner at bed time, change to LED lighting and use LP for cooking which is a lot cheaper than electric. You may not need air conditioner at all for sleep in the mountains, in winter some areas drop to 55F.

Rey.

I agree with Rey, I saw a lady at the AEE that was complaining that she still was getting a bill after installing solar panels. Apparently the solar company installed less Kwts that her needs. The recommendation is to live at least six months to a year to have a good estimate of power consumption.

Thanks for your input to my questions!
In Vermont where I live the utilities are at 15 cents a kilowatt hour and I pay 38 dollars a month in the summer. In the mountains no air conditioning is needed.
   in the winter I use wood to heat and use some of the furnace and my bill is about 50 a month.
  I have no water bill because I have a well  I have no hot water heater because I use a small tankless water heater. My cost for the LP for my hot water is 40 dollars a year and the cost to use my stove with LP is about 150 a year
   I do not use a dishwasher and consume very little electricity. LEDs are dangerous for your health, your eyes and the environment so I would never consider using them. Most do not know about how dangerous LEDs are and our governments are pushing us to use them. Florescent light is even worse.
   Incandescents are actually beneficial for health and the eyes.They also lift mood.I only use light in the room I am in, so there is little use on my part.
My biggest monthly expense is for broadband and telephone which is 75 a month
Some of my expense would probably go up to run a treadmill and for a small air conditioner to cool the room when I use it. If it is so hot and humid there, I would not be able to go running outdoors.

no2nwo wrote:

Thanks for your input to my questions!
LEDs are dangerous for your health, your eyes and the environment so I would never consider using them. Most do not know about how dangerous LEDs are and our governments are pushing us to use them. Florescent light is even worse

What are you talking about?    :unsure

??  You have read what I am talking about??  I am talking about the cost of living in PR compared to mainland USA as well as dangers of LEDs.

no2nwo wrote:

??  You have read what I am talking about??  I am talking about the cost of living in PR compared to mainland USA as well as dangers of LEDs.

OK - I give up, what dangers of LED's?    :unsure

Sitka wrote:
no2nwo wrote:

OK - I give up, what dangers of LED's?    :unsure

I read thru below and found nothing to worry about at least not for me and my family. :cool: Even the color of the LED can be changed if it cases you issues, Blindness I call that bull. Eye strain, yes most things we use for long like looking at a computer screen phone or TV can cause eye strain, I don't stare for hours at an LED lightbulb and do not get headaches.

Here is from one site: But LEDs do have a dark side. A study published in late 2010 in the journal Environmental Science and Technology found that LEDs contain lead, arsenic and a dozen other potentially dangerous substances.

*** So do not smells the fumes when it breaks and do not eat them.

From another site:
What Are the Dangers of IR LED?
LED stands for light-emitting diode. A diode is a small electrical device, a type of resistor that helps regulate the flow of electrical current in circuits. However, if a diode is doped with the right compounds, it radiates some of the electrical energy as visible light. How much light and what color of light that the LED emits depends on what substances are used to create it.

Blue

Blue LEDs were made after red and green LEDs had already been discovered. To make blue LED light, manufacturers had to use different compounds and produce the diodes in different ways. Blue light has a very long wavelength and appears much brighter to the human eye than other colors. This brightness can be distracting, even blinding, especially at night, creating a sometimes dangerous distraction.

Pain

In addition to the blindness LED lights can induce, they can also cause significant pain in some people and further damage the eyes of those who already suffer from corneal damage. The eye responds easily to bright LED light, especially the blue light, and the cells in the eye can quickly grow tired from the process. This can create pain, eyestrain and migraines.

Sleep Disorders

LED screens and lights that use blue LEDs can also interfere with sleep cycles. The human body tends to sense LED blue light as a more natural light, and reduces melatonin production in its presence. Melatonin controls the sleep cycles of people, and when disrupted for long periods it can create sleep disorders.

Other Types of Radiation

LED lights do not only produce visible light. Some are designed to produce infrared light or ultraviolet light, beyond our range of sight. These lights can be dangerous, too. Infrared light is heat and can sometimes damage nearby electronics. Ultraviolet light can damage the skin and eyes, and ultraviolet LEDs are typically used only for medical or scientific procedures.

OK - I have lots of LED lights in my homes and they save power, but never have I read or been told (even by my friends who are slightly 'woo woo') that LED lights were dangerous or unhealthy.   

This one seems to belong in the conspiracy theory box  -  maybe ease up on the medicinal cannabis.   :lol:

For me they are a danger  I have bad eyesight from being exposed to them as well as florescent lights.many others I know also have had many of the adverse effects mentioned  in studies.
  Incandescent light does not contaminate the soil and ground water like florescent and led disposed of lights, nor do they pose health risks.

Well, if you want incandescent lights, you better stock up while you can,    if they phase them out could be difficult to find in the future?

Lets stay in subject, this thread is about the cost of living, not about who is or is not an expat.

You better believe I have as well as my mother did. We both reacted horribly to LEds and CFLs.I have a supply that will out live me!