Cost of living in Dominican Republic – 2015

Welcome Jessica!  I am also in La Romana, if you have any questions ask away.....

Thanks Planner :) I do have one random question right now...I love to bake. Do you think it would be hard to find an apartment with a decent oven? I'm sure as the time gets closer I'll have a few more questions, but just reading the forums have been very useful.

Most apartments are not furnished.  There are some that are and all ovens honey are propane here and it will take some getting used to.  AND remember I love to eat baking.... just saying.........LOL

jessicarose221 wrote:

Thanks Planner :) I do have one random question right now...I love to bake. Do you think it would be hard to find an apartment with a decent oven? I'm sure as the time gets closer I'll have a few more questions, but just reading the forums have been very useful.

A propane stove will cost about $200 or $300 USD.  That is one with an oven.  Here in Puerto Plata I rent a furnished apartment for 8000 pesos which at present comes to less than $200 USD it has a complete stove, but who knows if it works or not.

Hahahaha  sounds like you don't cook either.....

It depends where you end up renting a place. Some have electrical stove with oven, but the electricity is expensive here. I ended up baking everything on the BBQ. Yes, even my Christmas cookies, cakes etc. Plus if I use the oven in the kitchen, it warms up the room so much, so another good reason baking on the BBQ outside.

Wow  baking on the BBQ,  I am impressed.

Well, if you think about it, it is an oven too!

Honey I can barely use a regular oven...... :D

HAHA didn't think about that. Which means you might have somebody cooking for you ;)

Well we have a woman who cooks 5 days a week at lunch and the rest of the time I pretty much starve!  Yup I am starving....

And to keep this on topic,   this woman cooks our lunch,  cleans the place,  does errands for me,  chases the dogs,  keeps the other employees in line (she is like the mother hen here)  and we pay her reasonably well at  13,000 a month, or just under US 300 a month.

aaaaaaaaaah  :sosad:

That is a pretty good pay! Speaking about cleaning - we are looking for somebody for 2 - 3 half days a week, just cleaning - no laundry or cooking.

Yup and she gets benefits too.....    Sorry I dont know anyone over there but  I will ask.

WOW !! Under $300 monthly ?  To do all those things ??  I don't know if this is good or not ( as far as her salary ) and as far as benefits who really benefits ??

rio, that is a really good pay, normally they get around 8,000 - 10,000 per month.

Yup its good pay. She is on the payroll so she gets gov't insurance plus a small contribution to pension etc.  Plus we feed her every day.....

Ok !! Those are reasonable benefits and health ins could also help !! I believe you both as far as being reasonable salary !! God Bless !!

planner wrote:

Hahahaha  sounds like you don't cook either.....

Eggs every morning and fried Chicken,  but no oven stuff at all.

demi56 wrote:

That is a pretty good pay! Speaking about cleaning - we are looking for somebody for 2 - 3 half days a week, just cleaning - no laundry or cooking.

I pay five hundred pesos a week for a gal to come for 3 or so hours a day Wed and Sat. SHe does up the accumulated dishes, sweeps and mops and cooks a couple of days worth for me.  No laundry

Our full time housekeeper gets $10,000 a month plus transportation.  We also pay for her health insurance and private school for her too daughters. One in high school and one in college.  So she does pretty good.

Bob K

As to ovens I have cooked with a propane or LP oven for over 40 years and NO problem what so ever.

Bob K

Good man Bob !! Very reasonable !! God Bless !!

DingoElGringo wrote:
demi56 wrote:

I pay five hundred pesos a week for a gal to come for 3 or so hours a day Wed and Sat. She does up the accumulated dishes, sweeps and mops and cooks a couple of days worth for me.  No laundry

That would be a good deal for me too, the only problem is you are on the north, we are in La Romana. Not too many people here want to work just part time because of the transportation cost.

Sweet!  Thanks guys :) I can deal with a propane oven, use it here in the Philippines...just wasn't sure what I was getting myself into in the DR.

Cooking will be the least of your challenges.   LOL  Lots will challenge you honey but  if you have experience in the Philippines this will not be tough to adapt to.  Let me know when you are coming and if I can help, I will honey.

Usually too hot to use the ovens.  Almost 90% or our personal cooking takes place on the BBQ and occasionally the stove top.

Bob K

Ahem, mark your  calendars I am cooking lasagna RIGHT THIS MINUTE.............. hahahaha

Yep right now we have a Mousaka in the oven for tonight.

Bob K

Can someone give me information about prices for things for the babies. Diapers, wet wipes, pieces of clothes such as body, pyjama, bibs?

Also a baby car seat how much would be, and where is available?

Thank you!

Not having a baby you got me on this one :D

As to car seats I have seen them at la Sirena super markets as well as Price Mart

Bob K

Baby clothes - prices depend where you shop.  Go to La Sirena,  Jumbo etc and they are inexpensive. Go to the Pulaga - flea market and they are dirt cheap.  Go to a high end store - ridiculous prices.

Diapers - no idea. Formula and milk are expensive.

Thank you Planner and Bob K.

Cost of living varies widely, from a little less than a $1,000 to the millioaires lifestyle.  It really depends on what makes you content.  Being content with your life. It has nothing to do with being happy.  Happiness is a mental state that has nothing to do with "things".  It has to do with your approach to life.  Ideally the two co-exist, but unfortunately there are too many people rich & poor, who have neither. contentment is what you are comfortable with, being happy is a much more difficult state to achieve.  Life many times is like the false fronted buildings in the old west. Things are not what they appear to be at first glance. A deeper look into self is required to know the meaning of both...........Just a small far from the tuba. Try some time to elicit a sound from a tuba. It takes a lot of wind, I know, being an old wind bag myself. ..... OOOPAH!

I will refrain from entering this particular thread as my lifestyle here in the DR, is something that am sure no one with a sane mind would want to partake of. This is an island with limitless possibilities. Just sitting here with the grin that Andy Dufresne had on the roof that day at Shawshank. My insanity has not been discovered yet so I will just say, the cost of living here in the DR, is LIVING.

Succinct & the truth.

This thread has been around for a while, I don't know if I have input into it or not.  I live in a small studio apartment with my dog and my Dominicana lady.  We pay 10,000 pesos and that includes everything electricity, water, gas for cooking, curtains sheets and dishes. etc...
After I pay the rent when my social security comes I have about 30,000 pesos left.  That gives me approx 1000 pesos a day for food and gas for the car.  We eat out a couple of times a week which runs between 300 and 1000 pesos for the two of us. We don't "Go out drinking" but do buy a bottle and bring it home occasionally.  And we do OK on this budget.  My Social Security is just under $1000 USD a month, which is smaller than the average Soc Sec.

Yes you can live here for very little or a lot. Depends on what  you want  and  your life style.

Bob K

Exactly true.  Thanks for the I do Dingo - good stuff!

You can live here in a variety of standards of living that have nothing to do with being happy.

Sounds like you have made a nice life for yourself!