Company set up for a local

Hi all,
after getting a quote for setting up a company in Laos from a local solicitor of 5k (not including work permit) I nearly feel off my chair, considering it's about $500AUD and 30min work to do it myself in Australia.  Has anyone got any experience on the costs of setting up a company for a local?  and how much of a tedious job it is (I imagine it's tedious as everything else in Laos is (ie; getting married/getting a correct answer from several government departments haha)..
God bless the Laotians!!!

paulyp wrote:

Hi all,
after getting a quote for setting up a company in Laos from a local solicitor of 5k (not including work permit) I nearly feel off my chair, considering it's about $500AUD and 30min work to do it myself in Australia.  Has anyone got any experience on the costs of setting up a company for a local?  and how much of a tedious job it is (I imagine it's tedious as everything else in Laos is (ie; getting married/getting a correct answer from several government departments haha)..
God bless the Laotians!!!

Not easy to do unfortunately. Time consuming and expensive. Cost seems about right and can take up to 23 weeks to get it all formalized.  You will never get the same answer to the same question from 2 different people in the same office doing the same job. 

You could ask the Oz embassy for information. 

Have you considered setting up a company in Oz and then setting up a branch in Laos. May be worth looking into. I am looking at doing the same so I can retire in Laos in the near future. I have Lao business friends and I am hoping to be able to get them to put me on their books so I can get a multiple entry yearly visa. 
I work in civil construction.

Thanks Stumpy, will look into a sub branch... if you got a lazy 50k i got an idea involving farming, that could make nice income haha ;)  sent you a PM also..