Viet Kieu journalist with UN seeking sabbatical spot

I haven't posted before on this forum, so apologies if there is another more appropriate one for my query (will also post a note to housing), but I am posting here as I am coming to Dalat this Wednesday Jan 14th for 2 nights and would love to meet up with people to get ideas about neighborhoods/kids schooling/general life there. Am looking to live there March-May this year with a 4-year-old (looking to improve his Vietnamese, so would like to be close to Vietnamese families and a local school- do not need international). Do I need/want to be downtown? Can I have a nice home with about 3 bedrooms, maybe a garden, a kids' school/nursery outside of town? (I am Viet Kieu, fluent in Vietnamese) Would be great to speak to anyone who ended up in Dalat after considering other cities, including coastal ones (Danang, Hoi An, etc). I am looking at a few other cities on this trip (with the exception of Hanoi/HCMC as I am trying to avoid large cities after a dozen years living in megacities for work). Look forward to your insights (perchance lessons learned/wisdom too!).

Hope you didn't put 'journalist' in your passport or visa application - journalists/writers are an anathema to certain styles of government!

Jaitch wrote:

Hope you didn't put 'journalist' in your passport or visa application - journalists/writers are an anathema to certain styles of government!

That gave me a chuckle. If you did put journalists expect your every move and internet activities to be monitored. You'll get random banging on your door while you're sleeping.