Resignation Regulations!

One of my friend had been working for a company for 6 months. He would like to leave the company as he got a better offer abroad. As per his contract, he is entitled to pay the employee his visa expenses, travel costs if he was to leave the company before 2 years. Apart from that, his contract also specifies a notification period of 3 months with a 1 month notification from employer when he resigns from the company.

I would like to know if he would be able to leave the company without giving a resignation and go abroad for his newly offered job? He doesn't have any plan to come back to Oman either. Specifically will he be pursued by the old company after leaving Oman for his new job?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi buffydude,

It would all depend on how far ("abroad") your friend is planning to move to.

For example, if your "friend" is shifting to a neighbouring GCC country, then it would not be too difficult for your friend's jilted employer to make sure your friend does not relocate. They can stop him from entering into any GCC country - if they want to.

But for instance, if your friend is planning on shifting to say, another continent, then his cheated employer may not chase after him as it would not be worth their effort.

I do hope your friend is aware that what he is planning on doing is certainly not legit. This is perhaps one of the most important reasons why most employers take custody of their employees passports - even though it is illegal by law.

Hey Sumitran,

Thanks for the reply.

He told he would be relocating to another continent, not to a GCC country! I told him its not legit, but he doesn't want to miss out on a golden opportunity that he has at hand.