Cost of living in Quito

It would be interesting to exchange on the cost of life in Quito, so that future expats can make a budget!

For a start, we thing about the cost of:

- accomodation (appartment, or house)
- water and electricity
- public transport (metro, bus or taxi)
- monthly household shopping
- average price for bread, butter, milk, eggs, kg of meat...
- medical insurance
- visit to the house doctor
- school fees (specify which school)
- petrol
- average price of a good menu in a traditional restaurant
- a beer or a coffee in a bar or pub
- a cinema ticket

and of course, if you think I forgot an important point, just add it up!

Thanks for your participation :)

* accomodation (appartment, or house)
we just bought brand new apartment in North Quito
$57K
* water and electricity
water $10 -$12 monthly
electricity $12- $14 monthly
* public transport (metro, bus or taxi)
we only take taxi - spend about $80 - $100 per month
on taxi
*monthly grocery/farmer market/household shopping for two $500
  grocery shopping, including beer and vine, household items,
  like toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, soap,cleaning  supplies, etc

* medical insurance
- visit to the house doctor
medical ins didnt work for us - we paid premiums, they(med ins company Humana) refused to pay even for routine exams.
visit to the general doctor $35 -$40
$60 - dermatologyst
$25/$25 - dental cleaning/filling
-- average price of a good menu in a traditional restaurant
we spend about $20-$40 for two people, including vine or beer.

- a cinema ticket
we have Multicines card
with that card movie cost $2.25 - $3, Monday - Thursday,
without card $4.50

Hi LiliyaBykova! Welcome on Expat-blog! :) Thank you very much for these useful informations.

Cost of buying a car.  I seem unable to find out the cost of new and quite new cars in Ecuador.  This is a significant matter to us and I would be very grateful if anyone could give some indications of what they have spent.

Cars are much more expensive in Ecuador then in US.

(moderated: no ads please)

For used cars prices visit patiotuerca.com/ecuador/pt.nsf
For new cars, visit manufacturer's sites for Ecuador: ford, toyota, chevrolet, nissan - all have prices on their sites. Prices already include all the taxes (you'll drive out of the lot at those prices) and, in general, are not negotiable.
Sales tax of 12% is also included in the price, and, if you have any kind of business in Ecuador, constitutes so called "crédito tributario" meaning with a little effort you cash it out.
For example, buying a car for $20000 means receiving this "crédito tributario" of $2142.85... Nice...
If your budget is at least $27000, I'd recommend considering hybrid cars. Hybrid's prices are just slightly over than in US because of 0 or low import tax. Examples... Honda Insight: starts at $27-28K, Ford Escape Hybrid $39K, Lexus RX450h you can find for $60K.
If you are on a limited budged but need a transportation anyway, there is a chinese Chery QQ 800cc for $8,999.
P.S. Cars are considered an investment in Ecuador because of very little depreciation over years. A small example. When I first got here, I bought a brand new GrandVitara 4 door for $19125. In 2 years, with 80000 KM, I sold it for $16200 within days. Considering the "crédito tributario" that I received, I didn't loose a lot, did I?
I have not seen anything that moves on 4 wheels for less than $2500...