Is there Ebola risk in Kenya, Nairobi

Hi Friends,

I am planning to move into Nairobi in couple of months for my new job there. Could you guys tell me about the Ebola disease risk there. Is there any cases been reported and any precautions needed? Listening to the news from west African countries little bit worried about it. Your views/advice are highly appreciated.

We are also planning a move there but have heard that there is as much risk of getting it in Kenya as there is in the UK or South Africa ie. hardly at all. Kenya is east africa. Obviously you need to be careful but geographically speaking Kenya is pretty far removed.

I can tell you the truth so far so good no Ebola cases reported in Kenya, there was before but now Kenya is Ebola free. Anyway where are you coming from and where in Kenya do you want to visit. Sam from Kenya

Thanks for your cent Sam and Simonebon - Iam coming from India and stay will be in Nairobi, Westland

Don't be worried my friend. I live in Kisumu the third city of Kenya. What are you coming to Kenya?

No ebola here :-):-):-):-):-):-) haha....

Unless you work in the healthcare area or funeral services, have direct contact with patients infected with Ebola virus or contact with individuals who have direct contact with them there is virtually zero risk of ever contracting the disease anywhere in the world.

The Ebola virus is spread through direct contact with body fluids from infected individuals, blood, semen, saliva.

It is not an airborne virus, cannot be spread through coughing or sneezing or simple contact such as handshakes. It essentially requires fluid to fluid contact such as getting infected saliva on one's hand and touching an open wound on your own body.

The Ebola virus on dry surfaces only survives for a couple of hours at most outside the human host.

There is absolutely no proof that insects such as mosquitoes spread the virus.

Unfortunately too many people have bought into the sensationalist media coverage of the current Ebola outbreak and have developed an unreasonable fear commonly referred to as "Fearbola" which is probably much more dangerous than the disease itself.

What the Centers for Disease Control has to say about Ebola.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you Mr.James for Clarification

Absolutely no Ebola in Kenya and the best of my knowledge there never has been.  I understand that the closest was a small outbreak in Uganda a few years ago.  The last time I travelled through Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, screening was being carried out.  Additionally, many flights between Kenya and the affected countries have been suspended, unlike Europe, for example.

James; the current case in the UK ( a nurse who volunteered in W Africa) is thought to be the result of the victim hugging a person who was infected.  However, it is still a difficult disease to catch.

Longonot62 wrote:

James; the current case in the UK ( a nurse who volunteered in W Africa) is thought to be the result of the victim hugging a person who was infected.  However, it is still a difficult disease to catch.

There obviously was some other factor involved than just a simple hug. Transmission requires body fluid to body fluid contact of some kind. (example: getting saliva or blood on one's hands then touching your eyes or mouth). I can hardly imagine a health care professional who would disgregard standard communicable disease protocols when treating Ebola patients, she clearly did something wrong, putting herself and potentially uncountable others at risk.

At any rate, unless one is in either the health care or funeral service industry there is almost zero possibility of contracting the disease.

Cheers,
James        Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi Aarus we had a few scares linked with Ebola but none of the cases was confirmed thus so far so good there isnt Ebola in Kenya....plus the gorvenment has put protective measures in place just incase so look forward to your coming to Kenya and hope you will enjoy your stay!!!

Welcome to Kenya.You will love it here. Home away from home. And yes thank fully no Ebola. My heart goes out to those affected. We are blessed.