Planning to Move to Kenya

Hi All,

I Along with My Family is planning to Move to Kenya is April. We would be Staying in Limuru - Bata Factory

Need to Check for few things

1. Is it safe to send the Children to school in Nairobi (Oshwal/Aga Khan) along with Driver and a Maid in a Car (Me And my wife would not be able to accompany them) - My Daughter is 5 year old and would go to 1st Standard

2) Is Driver/Maid for Household work is easily available in Limuru and what would be the cost.

Dear Mr; Jain
Its my opinion only , bit risky to send your daughter from Limuru to Naiorbi  for education with driver and maid . You can stay in Nairobi and go for job at Limuru-Bata co. , distance is  around 50KM  from Nairobi .

Thanks
Mahesh

Thanks Mahesh,

What would be roughly Housing Cost in nairoibi as Employer would not provide Housing in nairobi..
But in Limuru he is providing the Housing facilities as they have small township in factory premises.

Hi
Welcome to Kenya !

Yes, it will be safe to have the house help and driver take the children to school. Aga Khan Academy and V Oshwal are both good schools.
The best referral for house help is the HR department of Bata. They can get you people they know who should also be required to submit a Certificate of Good Conduct , copy of National ID, coloured passport photographs and Medical report from the Kenyatta National Hospital or other County Hospital. You can facilitate this by meeting the cost which should not exceed USD10.
The attitude of the staff thereafter towards your children or how long they will work for you will depend on how you will treat them. It is best not to keep changing the staff.

One other thing - staff training on exactly what you want done and how you want it done and how often it should be done will be extremely important.

I hope this is useful !

Make sure to go on safari and see our beautiful beaches during your holidays !

Thanks.

Thanks RIMZ

It is Really helpful.

Can you please let me know whether both these Schools have IGCSE (international Curriculm) or not.

AGA Khan on Website seems to have the Same but not sure of Oshwal...

So Can you help me on this.

Apart from a very long day for the kids, due to the eternal issues of penetrating Nairobi traffic and the time this takes, the route between Limuru and Nairobi is OK security wise.

Braeburn Schools have a school at Garden Estate, which is on the Kiambu side of Nairobi and would make for a much shorter and easier commute for the children.  It follows the UK system. 

I suggest that you check the websites of the other schools, for more information.

Hello Nitin
I was reading your message. ..my both son studying in Oshwal Academy....
Oshwal Academy is IGCSE..and it's a good school.

Are you moving with your family?
Here puerile are helpful. .tis our 3rd year here in Nairobi.

Thanx
Ruchika Sharma

Thanks Ruchika

Yes i would be Moving along with my family. The Only hitch i have is the Oshwal School doesnot provide transport to/from Limuru.

Can You Suggest some Ways for Kids to travel.

My Daughter is 5 and sons are 2 year old.

Would sending them through driver is a risk or not???

Yes if you get a driver who is one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I do believe in them they arevety honest. Thanks.

A 2yr old commuting from limuru to Nairobi every day doesn't make sense to me,by the time she get to school she's already tired. Why not look for school within limuru or live near Nairobi since its easier for you to get to work daily. About the driver,they are so many good ones out there and religion doesn't matter as a ealier someone tried to state. Ian a qualified driver/nanny with 13yrs experience,done early childhood education but I'm not available till may. Should you want me to recommend a person who has done early childhood education,get in touch [email protected]. But with my experience with kids,I can tell you for free that its just too much for a 2yr old to travel from limuru to Nairobi,if they have to be in class at 8,that means they wake up at 4.45 or 5. No please.

The distance from Nairobi to Limuru is exactly 35Kms. There are nice schools in the neighbouring Kiambu area so you dont have to send your kids to Nairobi each day for School.