MOVE TO MALTA INFO TY

Hello, Any advice would be grateful, I have toyed with the idea ( trying to get brave enough ) To move to Malta for a while now, Well I have decided It's happening and sooner rather than later! :)

I have an On line business pay taxs accountant etc in the UK , I am guessing it's not as simple as leave my business here in the Uk, Come rent property use my visa card from bank ( barclays ) back in England, And it's as simple as that. LOL

So I am curious as to what it would entail me to do if I moved, I heard about some residency permits for longer than 3 months? Is this simple down to local council office, pay few quid ( euro ) and they issue residency?

So the job issues finding work, Is not a problem, I would just need my laptop internet, Which I've heard internet is very good in Malta, Also what about phones, Can I get contract phone in Malta or is it easier to keep contract back in the UK and just pay the bill there, I am just curious, as to, Banking, Renting, Residency to be honest, How simple can it be, I've got my business so can work from anywhere, But I am presuming it's not as simple as just come move like a holiday and stay haha. Also my brother is coming out with me, Who is 17, I presume he would have to just do same as myself as far as any kind of residency is concerned.

Any help tips advice putting me in some light, Would be very grateful and appreciated, beers on me when I make move! :P Thank you in advance for any help. Jay :)

Read this.........................

Link

Most questions will be answered.

And yes, it can be as simple as you suggest and easy as come on holiday and stay.
Many do but it is not in accordance with the required procedures here and I am not advising anything contrary to Maltese law or expected procedures

Why Malta anyway?
Have you any experience of Malta?

Hey Jay,
1. hows derby  have they finished the london road bridge yet .. when i left derby in may they still hadn't
2. i have a barclays account .. i still use my card abroad ... you will need to write to barlcays to provide them with your Maltese
address so they can send you cards etc... you will also need a Valid uk mobile number to access online banking abroad.  N.B there is no way to add funds to your Barclay's account direct from abroad so you would need a Maltese bank account if you wanted to pay money in
3. as an eu citizen your entitled to live and work in any eu country however in malta after 3 months your expected to apply for an e-residence card .(there is no cost involved ) though you would have to apply either as employed, self employed , economic self sufficiency etc  further information about applying can be found in the sticky threads
4.You can either keep a phone contract in the Uk but you will be paying to roam these charges are not cheap although vodafone, o2 etc do charge you 1.50 a day to use your uk miniutes ... or you can get a mobile phone out here . Contracts are available but you will need to have your e-residence card to apply and they may take 3 months money as deposit ( contracts work out cheaper if you bring your own phone )

5.it can be as fairly simple as move like a holiday and stay (assuming your an eu citizen)- You if your not intending to work in Malta would need to satisfy the Economic self sufficiency criteria
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643 (this thread explains applying in more detail) You may also have to pay tax over here..(someone who knows about this will come along soon )
6. your brother  could come here and get work  and apply for residency  through that route or he could apply as your family member  the process of applying is fairly simple for you both and is really just an administrative exercise

If your Not an Eu citizen there are many more hurdles to satisfy ..but i assume from what your suggesting you are
You really should read all the information on this  forum especially the sticky threads at the top  and if you have any direct questions please feel free to ask

Rob, why do you need a valid UK mobile number to access online banking in UK?

I have a UK account and I do not need a UK mobile number to access it.
Also, money can be transferred using alternative means e.g. Western Union or similar.

barclays bank require you to have a UK mobile number registered it wont take my maltese one - its a bit weird  i think its just part of their security system , they sometimes like to ring you for security checks etc
I did say there is no way of putitng money into the account direct .. you have to use a third party system

OK, just Barclay's then, thanks.

Welcome Jay and as everyone said it is pretty straight forward.  I purchased a property here about 10 years ago, work here, and enjoy life here as Red will tell you ;)

It would be more tax efficient for you to register the company in Malta as you would benefit from the taxation here but there is someone I can put you in touch with regarding that should you need.  As they mention a Maltese bank account is a good thing to have as it will save you money in the end as bank transfers are expensive I would also suggest as Mick suggested talking to someone ( you can talk to me ) about the cheapest way of transferring funds in ad out of the country.

If you need anything then please do not hesitate to message me

robpw2 wrote:

barclays bank require you to have a UK mobile number registered it wont take my maltese one - its a bit weird  i think its just part of their security system , they sometimes like to ring you for security checks etc
I did say there is no way of putitng money into the account direct .. you have to use a third party system

My UK bank does not require a UK phone number, it has my Maltese number. My wife's does but we just use a PAYG  UK mobile which has some credit on it but is not used in Gozo, her bank have never used that number, nor is it a requirement for online banking.

We did a contract with GO for all services including Mobile when we first moved here with just a Passport and a UK debit card. (No deposit required)

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

My UK bank does not require a UK phone number, it has my Maltese number. My wife's does but we just use a PAYG  UK mobile which has some credit on it but is not used in Gozo, her bank have never used that number, nor is it a requirement for online banking.

We did a contract with GO for all services including Mobile when we first moved here with just a Passport and a UK debit card. (No deposit required)

Ray

Different banks different rules , this guy was talking about barclays i simply relayed the info they require you to have a uk mobile number on the account for verification purposes etc .
Go i managed to get a contract with them without a deposit , i have the internet tv phone and mobile
however i know Vodafone require 3 months deposit on contracts if you don't have a Maltese id  hence the word they "MAY take up to 3 months deposit " i mention it so that it doesn't come as a surprise to the person should they try and get a contract and they are asked for such a deposit

One of the 'joys' of living here is the differences in operating procedures; not only between different establishments but also between different branches of the same establishment!
Ask at one branch or outlet and then another and so often one will be told a different thing. Even in an office of an establishment, ask a question and the number of different answers will depend upon the number of people working there.
Many make up their own rules too, irrespective of any legislation.
So many different ways to 'skin a cat' out here  ;)
So laissez faire also.

I have a Barclays account and have my maltese mobile number registered for online banking, they have never called me on that number but it was accepted and I can access online banking.

Yes I've visited Malta a few times, I love the island, The ambiance of the island is amazing. Every time I go, It's usually for week or 2 but end up staying for 5 or 6 haha

Hello, They have just finished it, I don't think looks very good considering how long it's taken them, lol, Yes, my brother wouldn't be working either, I got online business so he would work for me, I'm more than happy to leave my business set up in Uk pay taxs over here and keep it as simple as possible even the phone, that's not a problem, I will read these links find out some more information, Is it easy to open a bank account then, That would be handy, as could just send what I need each month from my uk acc to Maltese account.

I can't send money using western union unfortunately, Once you cross a threshold they get very funny. Ridiculous. Also I use a pin century thing to access my barclays online banking, different option to mobile banking, But I can use my uk barclays bank account then as visa etc, How do the renting usually go, do they accept visa or is it cash in hand. lol

bank account opening .. depends on bank,branch,person you speak to but generlly not hard to open
if you have been with your current bank over two years you should easily be able to open an account they will apply for a reference and then let you know when they recieve it and you go in and open account