Advice from women living in Phnom Penh, please

Hello. I will be moving to Phnom Penh on september. Im really excited since i have heard some wonderful things about this city, but im a bit concerned about safety.

I would really apreciate your advice about do's and dont's in Phnom Penh.

I have heard there have been a wave of acid attacks and other forms of violence against women.

So women living there could you please tell me if you feel safe there or any other advice i.e. safe areas to live.

I would appreciate your reply a lot!

Hi,

I am a women 36 y.o, and in 14 months I had no issues what so ever. The common sense needs to be applied. Do not walk in the dark, do not carry handbag since bag snatching is the most popular crime in Cambodia. I also do not wear flashy jewellery. None of my friends had any issues either (touch wood).
If you are interested when you move to Cambodia contact Women's international group, wigcambodia.com all ladies are very nice and many been living in Cambodia 5+ and they can help you to find your way around Cambodia.
Enjoy the country, it is beautiful and friendly.:)

Thank you very much for your reply and your advice. I will be arriving in the middle of september, maybe we can meet for coffee? :)

Hi All!

Your discussion has been moved to forum Phnom Penh for better communication with members.

Regards
Sheetul

Hi,

Unfortunately my time in Cambodia is up and I am leaving August 31st. Enjoy Cambodia its a great place to be.

Hi Miho, what is your next stop-over? Keep us posted of your future plans :)

Hi, I am moving to UK so not very exciting and very easing living. Will miss Cambodia a lot.

Good luck in the UK! Im sure you are going to love it too :)

Hi, as above, just be sensible, get to know a few words of Khmer at least so you don't get treated as a tourist all the time and you'll be fine. I'm in my 40's and have been here (with Mr) on and off for about six months. It's safer than HCMC I think and probably Bangkok too. No need to be concerned. Helps if you get to know a good tuk-tuk driver when you get here to help you find your way around.

Good luck and enjoy, it's a lovely little city.

Thanks for your advice. I got here a week ago and it doesnt seem as unsafe as some reviews that I read. So far i have meet really nice khmer people and trying to learn a few words. I think it is a lovely city too and Im happy I came here :)

Thanks!