Your advice

Hello EVERYONE !!  I have a crazy idea of going to istanbul and start a new life there !! So I will need a good job, good accomodation, good friends and before that a good advice from YOU :) what would you tell me where is best location to rent and where i can look for a job. I speak arabic, english, french and understand spanish. I can work in tourism or customer services or sales or teaching ...
Is it tooooo cold right now ? Shall I wait till next month ???
Waiting for ur kind replies :D

Are you afraid for a bit snow? And you think it will never snow in Istanbul?

If you can think manage everything in one month, then why not?
But my advice is: search as much information as you can about the life, the customs, visa, laws, taxes, housing, jobs, education, certifications and so on. And,,, what about the language? Don't you think you need to speak in order to get a job over there?

Expatriating to another country is never easy, and should never be undertaken lightly. Unfortunately too many people (the dreamers) tend to take it just about as seriously as moving to a new apartment across town. Really bad logic there!

There are soooooooo many considerations to take into account before one even begins to seriously plan the move. And trust me, it does take a great deal of PLANNING and hard work if you aren't going to have it end up as a costly flop.

Things like vast differences in language, culture, customs & traditions, economic and political stability, differences in criminal and civil law, tax implications, employment availability and socio-economic conditions, among others.

Just picking up and moving to another country, sight unseen is foolhardy at the very least. One should plan on going there for an extended visit (more than one month) just to get a feel for the place and make sure it's a fit for you. You simply cannot get a true picture of what it is like to LIVE IN a country on a short vacation, it is impossible.

Concentrate FIRST on finding a job there, before you even begin any other planning. Unless you're wealthy and can afford to support yourself for 6 months to 1 year without any source of income then scrap that idea entirely. Too many people only look at the employment situation in their own country, don't like what they see and impulsively decide to get out. They do not stop to consider the fact that the employment scene in the new country may be just the same or even worse.

If you find a job then start your other planning and really do your homework, or you are dooming yourself to failure from the get-go. Approximately one third of all expats find they can't adjust to their new surroundings and go back home within the first year. This ends up being an extremely costly and sometimes even embarrassing mistake all round.

It is also extremely important to consider just what benefits from your homeland you will be giving up by expatriating. You may lose health care coverage and have to pay for it out of pocket, or purchase costly private medical insurance. You may be losing access to other very important government services and benefits that you have a right to at home, but not abroad.

Also consider the human rights situation in the host country, as a woman this will be extremely important for you Rosita, since women traditionally lose many rights in various countries, especially in the Middle East.

Just remember the more you know about every aspect of your host country that you possibly can, the better your chances of successful adaptation.

PEOPLE DON'T PLAN TO FAIL - THEY JUST FAIL TO PLAN!!!

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

Yes primadonna thank you.I have visited turkey several times and istanbul once but sure i need to do more researches about everything u mentioned. But the most important would be to find a job and learn the language, I already started with the language and living there will make the process faster by everyday practise...
but I see that hunting jobs online is useless may b better to b there, look around and make some interviews... or m I being too optimistic ?

James thx a lot for your useful and thorough reply. I know this is how things should be considered but m not quite a good planner and I guess m looking at it more as an adventure :( may b best way is to take the risk and go try a month or two so I can figure things out.
Believe me not much to lose in my country but still some advantages will b missed in moving; and i know the crisis is everywhere... hope with some help and some good luck i can do it :)
Step 1 is to FIND A JOB. ANYONE CAN HELP WITH THAT ??
James thx again

Find activities and meet other expats

OR