Vietnam to accept International Drivers Permits in 2015?

Hi Guys,

I saw this a while ago - http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/vi … 33942.html

Starting in 2015 Vietnam will accept International Drivers Permits allow me to convert my Australian license to Vietnamese which will allow me ride legally in Vietnam therefore covered by Travel Insurance.

Anyone have any update of when this will be implemented ?

Cheers

Isn't it converting your Australian license to an international license permit that can be used in any country that recognizes international licenses?

Do I have to go back to Canada to convert my Canada driving license to International license?

And would the International Driving Permit have to be translated and notarized in Vietnamese if used in Vietnam? I could see the confusion if it is all in English.

From the article it seems only TPHCM and Hanoi are running this pilot project. Since I'm from Bien Hoa anyone know a licensing center in HCM city that is running this pilot project?

Had my American licence turned into a viet one three years ago. I didn't know they woukd stsrt accepting American ones.

The CAA website in Canada says that they can issue an IDP for persons abroad and mail/courier it.  I have not tried this.  My issue is that I have an IDP, but it does not show Vietnam on the list of accepting countries.  I live on Phu Quoc Island.  The police did a blitz after Tet and stopped all foreign drivers as 2 tourists and 1 Vietnamese were killed in 2 separate accidents.  I took my IDP in to the police to verify it was good.  They said 'no' as Vietnam is not listed inside. They showed me one from the US that has Vietnam inside and said it was good. I spoke to CAA and their stock of blank IDPs have not been revised either.  I know my IDP is valid,here, but I also know that if I get stopped, I will lose the bike for a week and pay the fine.  I will be off to Rach Gia next week to get a Vietnamese scooter licence.

A further tid bit from the people at CAA.  CAA issues IDPs based on the 1949 Vienna traffic convention.  Vietnam agreed to the 1968 traffic convention.  Canada was a signatory to both.  The local police showed me a US IDP which lists Vietnam,  It was issued by the AAA in January.  A friend has an older AAA issued IDP and it does not show Vietnam, leading me to believe that the AAA must be using the 1968 convention whereas the CAA is using the 1949 convention.  I have asked the CAA who the issuing authority is for 1968 IDPs.  btw, the document format for both versions is identical.  Something to note is that there are web based issuers of IDPs.  From what I could see, they were all providing laminated licences, similar to a conventional Canadian or US drivers licence.  The AAA site says that they are fakes, and both Vienna conventions support this as the only acceptable IDP is the grey booklet.

The intentational Permit does not replace or entitle you to convert your drivers licence in a foreign country. You must have both for driving in another country.
It does contain some translations but only a few.
Because its standard all over the world it should not need any further translations. Ie the little grey booklet thats just to big to fit in you pocket...

Also just because the country is not listed should not mean it is not valid.. Think of the logic, now every other issuing authority has to reprint there IDP because one country changes there laws. Hmmm.

Are you saying we need both IDP + local license when a local license is suffice enough?

I think knowing Vietnam's stringent attention to minute details I'll stick with the local license until Canada's IDP shows Vietnam on the list.

No, i did not say that.
The IDP is used with your foreign license.
If you have a local one already, stick with that.
The IDP would be a step backwards for you.

The picture in the story is from a private company issuing "unofficial translations".

http://www.international-license.com/.   Like this one.

I think the journo got abit lazy and googled it, and used the first picture that came up. It is not a picture of a real IDP.
As dave said the iDP is a grey booklet

Thanks for the clarification.

Out of curiosity did some digging. Seems Vietnam signed the 1968 convention on roads and traffic on August 20, 2014.

https://treaties.un.org/pages/ViewDetai … mp;lang=en

For 1949 convention Vietnam also signed it on November 2, 1953.

https://treaties.un.org/pages/ViewDetai … mp;lang=en

These are official direct from United Nations website. Think I'll show CAA these websites.

International Driving Permits have been legal in Vietnam since January 2015. I don't remember exactly which date in January, either 1 Jan or 15 Jan.  Previously visitors with a visa for 3 months or more could use their overseas licence to get a Vietnamese issued licence, but it was a lot of messing around. The IDP is much a much simpler system. 
Vietnam can also issue IDPs to locally licensed drivers who wish to travel overseas.  So I'll get a VN IDP to use back in Australia, because my Australian DL has expired.

I wanted to clarify the new law so I tried finding the official circular for it should any problem arisen. I heard Australia has some problems issuing IDP for Vietnam. But there it is officially on the UN website for both 1949 and 1968 conventions.

It's December 1st, 2014 when new law takes into effect.

http://www.dfa.gov.vn/van-ban-chinh-sac … m-2937.htm

So what is the verdict?

IS IDL usable in Vietnam? or the "Big Blue" is?

Any real-life experience anyone?

@ralphnhatrang,  I just redid my Victorian Licence by internet/mail.  It had not expired but I do remember reading in the Vicroads website that they would RE-ISSUE an EXPIRED licence of less than 5 years.  Your state may be different but may be worthwhile to look into.

@Athanasius Pang  ,, cannot tell yet.  I haven't been pulled over yet?
Besides it will also be dependant on the Local Constabulry being fully versed up as well.

I think this has more to do with Viets travelling OUT of the country, and for them to drive legally Vietnam had to reciprocate.

Yes, this is right. You are required to do some procedures for transfer.

I think you are not required to change IDP to Vietnamese one, unless you are living here then I think you are. but if you have your normal license you can change that if you forgot or did not want to take IDP.

Personally I would be rather interested to know if Vietnam could limit somehow those license uses? like if you have motorcycle or truck license would you be allowed to drive those.

Redbeard - SA will also renew a licence for up to five years after expiry. My SA licence has been expired for seven years.

What can I say Ralph.......  a bit forgetful ???     :unsure