Need suggestion from experts. 8200 MYR/month for a 3 member family.

What is the monthly expense for a vegetarian family of 3 members with 8200 MYR/month in selengor. Am moving to Malaysia in Jan'15.
Also how much i can save per month? Can anybody help me?

Sorry, but you have provided far too little information to advise.  You need to state where you would need to live that is convenient for the workplace and whether you have school-going children either immediately or in the foreseable future. Would you require two rooms or more in your accommodation and should it be furnished or unfurnished. Do you anticipate you would like to run a car for ease of access and travelling around the region?

While you provide more information, the income tax will initially be 25% flat rate (i.e. RM 24,600 with no deductions). You can reclaim overpayment in April 2016. Once you become tax resident the steps (and amounts for each step) are as follows:

Tax on an annual salary of RM98,400 is RM11,514:
0-5,000                    0%                                                 
5,000-10,000      1%    RM50
10,001-20,000    1%  +RM100
20,001-35,000    5%  +RM750
35,001-50,000   10%  +RM1,500
50,001-70,000   16% +RM3,200
70,001-98,400   21% +RM5,964

Divide the annual tax by 12 to get the monthly tax deduction.

Hi KarunakarS,

I do agree with Gravitas, on your info. Depends on to what extend you want to live your life over here in Malaysia. Very subjective. Anyway, should be able to have a decent good life on your mentioned earnings. As long as you are not lavish. Welcome to Malaysia! Cheers!

Hi Tony and Gravitas
Sorry for the very subjective post.

My office is in Malaysia Global Solution Center, Persiaran Apec. I would like to stay near by to avoid much commutation time.
I have 3 yr old kid and i am planning to bring my family in around Apr/May'15.
Initially i will stay alone- am scared of bringing the family immediately due to 25% tax and other financial commitments in India.
I want to get a furnished 1 BHK flat near by office.
For 5-6 months i am not willing to take car till i settle there and manage other commitments.
Hope this is fine to help me?

Thanks. Well having your office location in Cyberjaya means you will probably have to commute a bit as the rents are high in that location as it is fairly new and rentals follow not only size, but also age of building and location.

There is not much public transport to Cyberjaya either, but this is a bus service you can use:

http://www.cyberjayadts.com.my/default. … ageid=3145

A lot of people tend to try and live in Puchong. One bedroomed accommodation is hard to find. However, take a look at this advert for modern accommodation in Cyberjaya directly over a shopping mall.

http://www.ibilik.my/rooms/1083646/d-pu … t-for-rent

You will probably be able to save about RM3500 per month.

Thank you Gravitas for the prompt response.
So I will be able to lead a comfortable life with ~3500 MYR per month excluding exceptions like medical emergencies, outing, extreme shopping etc?
Can you also suggest on kid's schooling, do we get any nursery/pre KG schools around and how much does it cost? Eventually he will go to school.

A lot depends on rental you have to pay - take a look at this because its the most realistic synopsis of costs. This Rental is probably not going to be less than RM1600-2000 per month for a convenient location, both travewise and also accesswise:

http://www.ibilik.my/rooms/1083646/d-pu … t-for-rent

Tax is about RM1000. Communications will be about RM100 for phone and RM250 for TV, Internet, etc. Groceries RM750. Utilities RM100 (no aircon).

Take a look here for info about nursery and schooling costs:

http://www.nexus.edu.my/Admissions/Fees … n-Fee.aspx

Sure. Thanks so much for the information. Really appreciate it.

Will await any other suggestions, do's/dont's from other experts.
I heard a rumour that vegetarians will suffer a lot to survive in Malaysia. Is it true?
While security issues will be there in any other country or city. it depends on how we behave.

"I heard a rumour" - Cambridge Dictionary -- "a fact that a lot of people are talking about although they do not know if it is true". Mr KarunakarS, there are loads of vegetarian shops and restaurants around. Prepare your own when at home....easy as ABC. Pick up what you wish at any supermarket or at the wet market. Anyway, once you step foot here, go around and ask people around politely you'll get around to it.

Don't do drugs. Don't get drunk at a pub. Don't pick up fights. Don't wonder in any dark alleyways late at night. Be streetwise and be nice to other people, you'll find that you can survive in almost any country. Generally Malaysia is a decently safe place to live in.

Don't fear my friend. Don't worry, be happy.

:)

Cyberaya is a quiet and modern area and particularly safe and pleasant. If you want to afford to live there I think the little bit extra on housing will really pay off. It is far less chaotic than lots of other places. The only thing you are likely to die of is boredom (meant as a joke). There are lots of Indians working in Cyberjaya.

Sure. In any case for few weeks i will get accommodation from my company. Meanwhile I can search in affordable area.
I can see decent flats between 1300-1600 in D`Pulge and The Domian. just 2-3 KMs from my office when checked in Google maps.

ibilik.my/rooms/1080680/the-domain-domain-4-neocyber-cyberjaya-furnished-studio-room-for-rent
ibilik.my/rooms/1080385/d-pulze-cyberjaya

Are these ads genuine to consider?

Can anyone help with the info?
What is the academic year in Malaysia(Cyberjaya) for Nursery and pre KG schools?
Are there any schools available in Cyberjaya/Puchong?

The school year depends on the type of school but usually if they are following the UK curriculum the years will start in August (like UK). Local schools have a January to November school year.

Puchong has several schools and Cyberjaya has

http://www.elc.edu.my/v2/index.php?opti … Itemid=851

Kindergarten

http://ikids.com.my/

This is good resource

http://www.cyberjaya-msc.com/cyberjaya_directory09.asp

Thank you Gravitas. it helps to explore :)

Hi All
I will be travelling to KL on 24th, got initial accommodation in
Tune Hotel – D'pulze Cyberjaya, Persiaran Multimedia, 63000 Cyberjaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Can anybody share feedback about this hotel please?

Well Tune hotels are a bit basic with very small rooms, but normally the room price dictates the quality and they often charge a lot of extras which I find annoying e.g. internet, towel (luckily they dont charge you for air....). The location is good though as it would let you explore the site as mentioned above, there are some reasonably priced units for rent in the building. Can't comment on transportation links though. Perhaps an internet advert refers to its convenience to buses.

Thanks very much for the prompt response bro. Seems there are combinations of rooms with varied prices.
Any ways am coming single for now, i will get this for 2 weeks and will move to a flat.

Yes, their pricing policy is based on room size and the smallest ones you can hardly walk around the bed or past the WC. But the worse aspect is the problem of continuity of internet access. I am sure you will survive two weeks living in a matchbox LOL.

:)

If you are posting to Cyberjaya, you may consider staying in Putra Intan condo Dengkil as many amenities are within walking distance including market. The cost of living here is relatively low.
However you will need a car to go to work.

Thank you Pauline for the suggestion.
I have now got initial accommodation in Tan'Yaa hotel in Cyberjaya.
Can anyone share the feedback about it?

Sorry I have not stayed in the hotel before, may be you can google and see if there is any review on it.

Yes, i checked it in the trip-adviser website. Looks fine 54 USD per day.

Hello all.
Thank you for your suggestions and inputs. They helped me a lot while taking few decisions after reaching here.
Have settled so far in Puchong area.

Ok.you are welcome.

There is a good vegetarian restaurant in Cyberjaya and I mention it because its Indian and many such places are around Malaysia. There is no problem to eat a pure vegetarian diet here and I dont know why anyone would tell you otherwise. Malaysia has all sorts of exotic vegetables, so when you want to cook at home hit the wet markets early in the morning for your shopping for best selection of organic vegetables.

Yes, all my apprehensions were cleared after reached here. No problem for veggies here. :)

Helllo, Sorry for interruption , I am a single working individual, willing to Ipoh in october, with 3500RM pm , According to the rules, I will be charged 25% tax for october,nov,dec and then upto june.. then how much will be my tax ? is the extra tax paid.. refunded easily or they create problems ? provided I complete my 182 days.. sincerely without any blemish..
and is (3500-taxes) enough to live in Ipoh ?

Make a total for your annual salary i.e. 3500 x 12 and then apply these rates for each segment. Finally divide by 12 to get your monthly tax deduction:

Tax steps on annual salary are:
0-5,000                    0%                                                 
5,000-10,000      1% RM50
10,001-20,000    1%  +RM100
20,001-35,000    5%  +RM750
35,001-50,000   10%  +RM1,500
50,001-70,000   16% +RM3,200
70,001-100,000   21% +RM6,300
100,001-250,000  24% +RM36,000
250,001-400,000  24.5% +RM36,750
Exceeding 400 000  25%  (+?)