Marrying on an expired visa?

Hello all, I am new to to the forum and would appreciate some advice if anyone can give it.

I have read Jame's very clear post about marriage in Brazil prior to posting this.

I proposed to my girlfriend over Christmas. I am a British citizen currently residing in Recife, PE and although I don't need a visa to stay in this country for 90 days... I have extended my stay a further 90 days already which will run out on the 6th of February.

We are planning to marry on the 7th of March and I have read that I can overstay my visa but will have to pay 8.50 reais per day. My question is basically... is this ok? Will they process our marriage if I am not legally allowed to be in the country or is paying the fine allowing me to stay in the country? Will this cause complications down the line?

I know people won't advocate staying in the country illegally, but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Alfie,

I will send you a private message that you will be able to read, but not likely respond to since you have not participated enough in the forums to fully activate you private message privileges. If you would, please try to reply in PM and if you can't send the message and need further information post again to this topic and I will reply.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

James.

I'm in the same boat.  Overstayed on US Tourist Visa.

Need more information than that if I'm going to be able to give you relevant advice.

Are you now married, planning to marry????

If you're not comfortable about posting the information to the forum then feel free to send me a private message, but posting here will definitely help others in the same boat.

Cheers,
James