Married to a dutch citizen, what are the nationality procedure?

Hey everyone,
I am egyptian and i am married to a dutch citizen from kurdish/iraqian origins. We got married in Egypt 6 months ago. We called the IND office to know more about the nationality procedure but they informed us that we can't start anything before 3 years passes from our marriage date and in condition that i don't live all this time in holland nor my country of origin (Egypt). Now we are living in Erbil ( iraq) with his parents in their house. My husband is working and studying and i am working too.

But as he is from iraqian origin he didn't have to issue a residence permit according to the kurdish authorities, but i have a residence permit in iraq, though how can we prove that we are actually married and living together in the same place as lots of people fake it to get nationality and i guess that later we have to prove to IND that we were living together and we do not have any proof as we aren't renting a house nor a car, besides he doesn't have a residence though he has a work contract and a university student ID.

So if anyone knows about the nationality procedure and how long it takes and what documents are needed and when we should start it exactly, please tell us.

We also aren't sure about what we need exactly like documents and official papers. We have an egyptian marriage contract but it isn't legalised in the dutch embassy in egypt. So should we legalise it as soon as we go on vacation to egypt? or isn't it necessary?

I also tried to get a visa to go to holland next summer but the dutch consulate in erbil do not offer visas. So i have to get it from egypt. Can i know what documents are required? i hope i do not have to have so much money on a bank account cuz thats what i saw on the dutch ministry's website as this is very impossible next summer.

My last question is If i become pregnant in the next 3 years and give birth, should my husband and i register the baby in the dutch consulate in gerbil or isn't it necessary?

Thanks a lot,
Doha

Marhaba Doha,

Welcome on board  :cheers:

You have lots of questions and I try to answer them as much as possible.

Its true you have to married for at least 3 years before you can apply for the Dutch nationality.
When you start the procedure (after 3 years) you have to show the IND that your marriage is legal. Therefor you need a marriage certificate in English and legalized by the Dutch Embassy, and the birth certificate of yours. The Dutch consulate can not do that for you. When you are in Egypt, you can ask for the procedure.

When you get a baby your child get automatically the Dutch citizenship and according to the Iraqi laws also the Iraqi nationality. The birth certificate need also been translated in English and legalized.

What I did, and I advise to do the same. is to register your marriage and later on when you get a baby in Den Haag

http://www.denhaag.nl/home/bewoners/to/ … e-akte.htm

The site is in Dutch and explain everything what you have to do.

When you get a baby I advise to register the child at the Dutch Embassy so you can apply for a passport.

If you have plans to visit the Netherlands next year and you get a visa you can register your marriage by yourself in Den Haag, Therefor you don't need to make an appointment. I did that too because you have to give them all the original papers. You'll get it back but I don't always trust the mail system.

You can check out also the sticky topic "New to Holland" on the main page of this forum for more information.

Good luck!

To get Dutch nationality you have to be residing in The netherlands for either 5 years or married to a Dutch national or three years married to a Dutch national. This has to be consequtive years. You also have to undergo the imburgering process or have the Dutch as second language certificate.