Can anybody help me figure how to start the process

I decided that the best option for me for a visa is buying the CD (certificate of deposite) as me and my brother decided to stay in Ayampe and start a small coffee place, but we don't have enough money to buy property ( there is nothing for sale yet, and if there is it way out of our budget).

Many people I talked to here said I shouldn't be hiring a lawyer for that purposes as lawyers tend to be expensive and not competent with the job they ought to do. I think I would try to do the process on my own.

Questions: applying for INVESTMENT VISA (9-II)
If anybody can guide me or recommend a site with a step by step Manuel on how to obtain this visa. I searched the web and I find many explanation on what that visa is a and what it requires but the detail are not mentioned.

If somebody went through this process and is willing to speak to me. You can send me a private message with your phone and I will call you back. If you prefer chat or post on this site that fine too, I think I would benefit more from talking personally to somebody in order to crack this up ;)

Sincerely yours,

K Brothers

Just wondering...do you have a bachlor degree?  If so, I'd highly recommend the Professional Visa 9-V; much easier and less risky.  If not and you have $25K to tie up, I would suggest you get the help of a 'facilitator' to help you set that up.  I'm using Sara Chaca ([email protected]) and am very pleased with her service. 

Laurie

Roeyklein wrote:

Many people I talked to here said I shouldn't be hiring a lawyer for that purpose as lawyers tend to be expensive and not competent....

Fine, Klein Bros., don't hire a lawyer.

But, as they say, "por amor a Elvis," take a meeting with at least one experienced immigration attorney.  A no-obligation, pre-client-status meeting.

At that meeting, find out how much he or she thinks you would have to put up for the investment visa(s):  25K, 26K (with Brother #2 qualifying as a dependent of Brother #1) or 50K! 

Yes, if the Cancilleria hasn't historically allowed an able-bodied brother to qualify as a visa-applicant's dependent, this is a scenario where y'all might be on the hook for double the one-visa requirement for investment.

No good manual has been written for the investment visa, IMO, for at least this reason:  visa rules and regs have historically changed, and the application of (and requirements for) such could be different depending on what bureaucrat you encounter on any given day.

cccmedia in Quito

it's mostly same as 9-I visa, you can find the how to do online;
plus CD
minus retiree document
that's all, DIY maybe takes much time.

The offices where you apply for your visa usually have a check-list for what is required for each type of visa, which is a good starting place. That being said, some items are "open for interpretation" or can be easily misunderstood. We did a pension visa ourselves and except for some expired documents, the process went fairly smoothly. Other commenters are right though, what you need can depend on which office you go to and with whom you speak. (That's just how we roll in Ecuador.) Good luck!

search Visa Angels, contact them....

Good find, Netbean. :top:

There's now more on this non-profit group at a new Expat.com Ecuador thread titled "Visa Angels of Cuenca."

Just type the thread name into the Search Expat.com box at the top of this page, and click on the search icon.

cccmedia wrote:

Just type the thread name into the Search Expat.com box at the top of this page, and click on the search icon.

Hmmm, in checking this, seems the system won't take the four-word name.  Had to type "Visa Angels" only, in the same box.

PEI Red wrote:

The offices where you apply for your visa usually have a check-list for what is required for each type of visa, which is a good starting place. That being said, some items are "open for interpretation" or can be easily misunderstood. We did a pension visa ourselves and except for some expired documents, the process went fairly smoothly. Other commenters are right though, what you need can depend on which office you go to and with whom you speak. (That's just how we roll in Ecuador.) Good luck!

And what's the name of the office you go to?

cccmedia wrote:

No good manual has been written for the investment visa IMO (because) visa rules and regs have historically changed, and the application of such could be different depending on what bureaucrat you encounter on any given day.

Holy fajitas, K-Bros...somebody HAS written DIY visa manuals! 

For EC investment, pensioner and professional visas.

Said author is Dom Buonomici -- entrepreneur, real-estate writer and three-year resident of Ecuador.

Not only did he write these manuals, but he is bundling them together along with his guide on EC insider real-estate tips, for a New Years Day-only special price of $40. ("2 DOCXs and 1 PDF.") 

I'm sure he'll sell them individually after 1-1-15, as well.

But wait, there's more!

Order on New Year's Day and Dom includes his guide on EC farming opportunities at no additional cost.

He can be contacted via the website ecuadorrealestate.org

cccmedia in Quito

There is absolutely no need to use a facilitator or an attorney. You can do the Visa process all yourself and save yourself a bunch of money. I went through the exact same process 7 months ago without any help with exception of acquiring a letter from an Ecuadorian friend to open up a bank account here in Ecuador. The letter was in Spanish. The bank account was used to do a wire transfer and to invest in the CD. $25K is all that is required unless you have dependents. Each dependent is $500 more.

You can read all the details on my blog:   http://mike-in-ecuador.blogspot.ca.

I am from Canada. If you are from  a different country the only real difference is how the documents are authenticated. In countries that support the Hague Convention you must get your documents apostilled. In Canada there is no such system.

Thanks Mike.
Yep i already started the process. Agree with you. Which bank did you open an account. I went today to pichqncha (or something like that). They also asked me for: passport, last month water electricity bill, some certificate from the ministerio of extranjeros ( which I applied today), two phone references, and one reference from a Ecuadorean client in there bank. Once I have all that I can open the account with 200$ and then do a transfer of the 25k

Oh and from what I have heard my brother can be a dependent for 500$ which is great!

In December 2014, the following requirement was put into effect for residency applications in Ecuador:

For residency application, for applicants from countries with a federal government, they must provide two types of criminal background checks. One from the State or Province and the other from the National or Federal entity. Both reports must be apostille, if the country is part of the Hague Treaty. If it is not part of the treaty they need to be legalized at an Ecuadorian Consulate.

Have a specific question? Ask it in the comments below or contact Grace and Nelson directly.

Roeyklein wrote:

Thanks Mike.
Which bank did you open an account. I went today to pichqncha (or something like that). They also asked me for: passport, last month water electricity bill, some certificate from the ministerio of extranjeros ( which I applied today), two phone references, and one reference from a Ecuadorean client in there bank. Once I have all that I can open the account with 200$ and then do a transfer of the 25k

If you are in Cuenca, you can go and see Omar Bravo on the 3rd floor of the Banco Pichincha on Solano. He is the one who setup my account. He speaks English. At first he wanted me to have the certificate you are talking about (Certificado de Empadronemiento) but then after our stating that it does not guarantee that a person would stay in Ecuador he let it pass. I guess they have some flexibility. So, all I ended up giving him was my passport and a letter of reference from an Ecuadorian who has an account at Pichincha. We may have shown him an electric bill as well (can't remember).  By the way, the electric bill does not have to be in your name (which I find rather strange).

Also for your reference, you cannot get the Certificado de Emapdronemiento until you apply for your Cedula. This means you have to have your residency Visa first.  At least that is the order in which it happened for me. Kind of a Catch Twenty-Two scenario. You need the investment CD to apply for your Visa, but the bank tells you that you need the Certificado which you can't get until you have your Visa.

MikeGB wrote:

Also for your reference, you cannot get the Certificado de Emapdronemiento until you apply for your Cedula.

Not the case in Quito!
I had to go to the ministerio de extranjeros, pay 4$ and give my passport, and I am waiting till Thursday to get it back and the Certificado de Emapdronemiento. Hopefully it works well. I also asked my land lord for the copies and she gladly photocopied them. She is also a client of the same bank and is willing to give me a reference. Hopefully by Thursday I have all my papers ready and I can open an account.

Appart from the copy of the CD, the 12 xi visa(which I got in my country), criminal record ( also got in my country, translated and notarized), certifcado del movimiento,  and the form for applying the visa, there was a section about a letter... Do you know what that is?

Does anybody know if I can applay for the residency in Manta and if so what is the address of the ministery?

Roeyklein wrote:

Apart from the copy of the CD, the 12 xi visa(which I got in my country), criminal record ( also got in my country, translated and notarized), certifcado del movimiento,  and the form for applying the visa, there was a section about a letter... Do you know what that is?

Does anybody know if I can applay for the residency in Manta and if so what is the address of the ministery?

You might have a problem with translated copies if done in your country. It is not recommended to do translations until you are here.

The letter is to be in Spanish and basically is a formal request that states the purpose for your application. Here is an example:   https://mike-in-ecuador.blogspot.com/b/ … ;type=PAGE

The Manta office of the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores handles residency visa applications and the visa process.

The office is on the second floor of the building Edificio del Bank in central Manta, Avenida 1 near Plasa Civica.

Source: retiringinecuador.blogspot.com

The process is described in some detail at this web address, and includes the fact that the writer found an English-speaking representative at the Manta office to assist him.

You can find a map showing the building location by googling:

"Edificio del Bank Manta Ecuador"

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks mike. I don't know about the problem. We asked the console in Israel and he recommend us to translate in Israel, as there are probably very few notories who can translate Hebrew to Spanish.

Thanks Hank. Thanks all. I think once I finish the process I'll try to create a new topic explaining step by step all the requirements so the next person can have it easy:)

Peace to all