Can I leave the country while my visa is processing?

I have recently moved to bahrain but I am looking at going to Abu Dhabi for New Year. The application for my visa has already started but I haven't had my medical yet, all they have is copies of my passport. Would I still be able to leave the country. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

This is the first time I have encountered this question, and hence am in no proper position to advise. But will try nonetheless.

What type of visa got you to Bahrain in the first place? Was it a visit/tourist visa on arrival at the airport? If so, then you could be able to travel out to Abu Dhabi and return to and re-enter Bahrain on the same basis. (How will you gain entry into Abu Dhabi? I assume the passport you carry would qualify for visa on arrival at Abu Dhabi airport.)

What type of visa has been applied for you in Bahrain? Is it a work visa? If so, then you should speak to your potential employer before you embark on your trip.

Please let us know your experience in this so we can all benefit and share.

Best wishes.

PS: Abu Dhabi is indeed a nice place to visit. I was there over the National Day holidays.