Permanent Residency

I am an American who lived and taught English in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil for 8 years.  I returned to California because of Health issues in June of 2013.  How long can I remain outside of Brazil without causing problems with my Permanent Residency?  I think I was told 4 years, but friends have told me it's 2 years.  Thank you for your help.

It's two years only.

Lei 6.815/1989  Art. 51

Art. 51. O estrangeiro registrado como permanente, que se ausentar do Brasil, poderá regressar independentemente de visto se o fizer dentro de dois anos.

This is based on exit/entry stamp dates. After two years permanency is cancelled, except in cases totally beyond one's control such as being hospitalized at the time.

There is, however, a process to renew one's registration without all the same bureaucracy of going through the whole permanency process all over again.

Cheers,
James          Expat-blog Experts Team

I applied for a permanant visa and a temporary document of permanant visa was issued by fd. Can I apply for the goverment scheme: Bolsa Família e  Minha Casa, Minha Vida? http://agenciabrasil.ebc.com.br/direito … a-e-outros
And what are the requirements to apply for those schemes? Thanks!!

These programs are for those living at or below the poverty line and the link given relates only to those programs in Greater São Paulo. You should contact the Sub-Prefeitura office nearest where you live and discuss the matter with them as to your eligibility. You will need to take your ID and proof of income which I believe must be a family income less than 3 minimum salaries. They will have to explain it all to you because this is something totally new and not done anywhere else in Brazil. I don't really know much about it at all.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

Sir! I got a permanent visa and I may go out of Brazil. How much time I can spend out of Brazil? I think less than 2 years. Within 2 years, can I go out of Brazil for many times?

What does permanent residence mean? What is the proof of permanent residence? and how long it should be? Thanks!!

Yes, you can only be outside of Brazil for a maximum of 2 years at any one time, or permanency is cancelled. This is based on entry/exit stamps in your passport. So you must return to Brazil at least every 2 years - however there is no "minimum stay" in order to re-start the clock on the calculation, just the stamp in the passport.

Once you are a permanent resident you may leave the country as often as you wish as long as you don't stay away longer than the two years.

What is permanent residency? It's just that, permanent residency, it means you've applied through the Federal Police and been granted permanency in Brazil.

What is the proof?  Your Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro with the word "PERMANENTE" in the category box is the proof.

Cheers,
James  Expat-blog Experts Team