Turning loves/hobbies/passions into careers! And obstacles

What sorts of hobbies do you enjoy doing in your spare time? Painting, sculpting, photography, baking, tutoring, etc.
Do you ever wish you could turn one of your hobbies into a business? Would you do it given the chance? Would you consider running one on the side?
If you have thought of it in the past, what's prevented you from growing your own business? Here in Kuwait in particular too.
I'm thinking about how there are so many talented people here, including youth, and how it would be great if we can encourage them to pursue those interests and possibly start careers in what they love to do.

nice topic; the gist of it is the enormous amount of red tape, bureaucracy and paperwork required to run your own business. i love doing stand up comedy, and running, and writing. only the latter has a chance of coming to fruition in Kuwait through blogging and freelancing for magazines.

you should join mad stand

Thanks for answering! It's great, legacy, that you've been able to channel your love for writing into blogging and freelancing. Maybe there are comedy shows (like livelovelaughh mentioned, madstand) or marathons in Kuwait?
It's true, and unfortunate, what you said about the hassles of running a business. I feel like online marketplaces, Etsy for example, have done a lot to make it easier for potential entrepreneurs.

I think the hardest part about Kuwait is that if you get into a brick and mortar mentality then you have to start thinking about having a Kuwaiti partner and they tend to be on the lazy side when it comes to getting paperwork done. Before people start stoning me, that has been my experience as well as all my friends experience. All they want to see is profit and putting in the minimum amount of effort to do it.

However, to stick to the subject, my passion is eco systems, farming, reducing environmental impacts, and producing organic solutions to modern day problems. I think there are a lot of opportunities out there to impact Kuwait as a whole, terraforming arid land into usable plots that would reduce their need for foreign goods.

I so agree with you.

MidnightParley wrote:

I think the hardest part about Kuwait is that if you get into a brick and mortar mentality then you have to start thinking about having a Kuwaiti partner and they tend to be on the lazy side when it comes to getting paperwork done. Before people start stoning me, that has been my experience as well as all my friends experience. All they want to see is profit and putting in the minimum amount of effort to do it.

However, to stick to the subject, my passion is eco systems, farming, reducing environmental impacts, and producing organic solutions to modern day problems. I think there are a lot of opportunities out there to impact Kuwait as a whole, terraforming arid land into usable plots that would reduce their need for foreign goods.

Aqua/Hydro-ponics... ...energy costs are low here... plenty of sun... not sure how an 'expat' could effectively market it for profit... but self sustainability with lots of fresh veggies would be quite easy  :D

Sorry for the late reply! That's a bit unfortunate, I can see why that would prevent people from creating businesses. But I'm glad to see there are such passionate people. I didn't know Kuwait's climate was suitable for growing veggies! Or that there was so much potential here. I hope you'll get to pursue what you're envisioning, if not in Kuwait then maybe somewhere else.
On an unrelated note, at the time I'm writing this there are 310000 topics on the board. Nice number ^^