Job offer in PNG

hi to all Filipinos...

I have a job offer in PNG and since I have a doubt with regards to some safety issues of expats can you pls help me by telling your experienced to PNG. Some questions and queries ar the following;
1. How safe is PNG especially to Filipinos?
2. Is there anyone working in PNG nambawan trophy ltd.??is this a good company?how about the accomodation (safety issues)?
3. A package of 3,200 kina, is it  a good oppurtunity salary?
4. Are there any Filipino associations especially for leisures, sports activities, etc.?
Hope to here some feedback to our kababayans out there wworkign in PNG..

Many Thanks & Best Regards,
Morepower!

Whats your job description? And the package is how much per month? POM is a great place to be.!!!

I'm not Filipino but I work with a few guys who have Filipino wives. They always seem to be getting together in POM with others for social events so I imagine there is plenty to do within that group. There are many Filipinos here and the safety is the same for most people, if you stick with your group, avoid the areas where trouble seems to be you will be fine I'm sure.

archaos32 wrote:

hi to all Filipinos...

I have a job offer in PNG and since I have a doubt with regards to some safety issues of expats can you pls help me by telling your experienced to PNG. Some questions and queries ar the following;
1. How safe is PNG especially to Filipinos?
2. Is there anyone working in PNG nambawan trophy ltd.??is this a good company?how about the accomodation (safety issues)?
3. A package of 3,200 kina, is it  a good oppurtunity salary?
4. Are there any Filipino associations especially for leisures, sports activities, etc.?
Hope to here some feedback to our kababayans out there wworkign in PNG..

Many Thanks & Best Regards,
Morepower!

Hi and welcome to the forum

Is the salary after tax or before tax ??
Will you get medical insurance 
Annual airfares home
Is accommodation supplied and utilities paid for
Does accommodation have security guards
Do you get a food allowance 

Safety in PNG is a matter of being aware of your surroundings, going out in pairs, not flashing money around.

Hi Sir Andremtbeer,

I will be working there as a Warehouse Manager and the salary package is 2500kina Basic + 800 food Allowance (net of tax) with free accomodation and transportation..

MY HIRING PO BA SA PLUMBER?
MAG APLY PO SANA AKO.. THANKSS

Hi sir stumpy,
As per discussed by employer during the interview;

Is the salary after tax or before tax ?? -After tax
Will you get medical insurance  -To be shouldered by employer
Annual airfares home -3 yrs contract, vacation with pay after 1.8 yrs
Is accommodation supplied and utilities paid for -free accommodation but I'm not sure if its fully furnished
Does accommodation have security guards -I will clarify with employer
Do you get a food allowance  -2500 basic + 800 food allowance

That amount, including the food allowance is US$1200 a month. 
This means only about $65 a week for for food so you would need to spend some more out of your salary to cover food costs.

For cost of living www.numbeo.com 

The accommodation may be furnished but who pays for the electricity, water etc. And do you get transport to and from work.

juanchoorscoprecioso wrote:

MY HIRING PO BA SA PLUMBER?
MAG APLY PO SANA AKO.. THANKSS

Please post in English only.
Thank you.

Send me a private email, [email protected]

Bro, the offer is quite low. With the current forex - 2500 is Php 40,000.  Your food allowance might be okay if you know how to budget.
I think if you are presently earning Php20K or less there in the Phil you might as well give it a try.
Usually water is covered in the accommodation. For electricity you have to verify  with your employer. Normally you will have to spend Kina150-200/mo if it's a single accommodation.
Hope this info helps and good luck to you bro...

Dear archangel777,

Thank a lot for the information.For the mean time i didnt sign the contract yet thats why i need to ask for any information especially to our kababayan's who is currently working in PNG.
Another thing that I need to ask you bro, how about the environment?i heard some negative feedbacks about the local or native people there?some says that most of the people are arrogant?and also the convenient stores are very limited and very far???
Any feedback pls..thanks

Hi, Archaos 32,

PNG is not like UAE, Singapore, etc. which has high tech facilities. PNG is not a "leisure-type" country. If you are a party goer, night life gig individual, you will not enjoy staying in PNG.

But if you are for serious work, PNG is very ideal. You get to save money or send more to your family. You dont need to be fashionable, appearance-conscious nor carry gadgets. Filipinos do not boasts of signature clothes, latest phone model, high tech electronics, number of jewery.  PNG lifestyle is very simple.

Safety, I believe, is a personal concern. Hold ups, robbery, accidents happen everywhere. If you get yourself into dark or crowded places, roam around at night, go to unfamiliar places, you are opening yourelf to trouble.

Again, concentrate on your purpose. Filipinos in PNG are friendly. I am sure you will find yourself 'at home'.

Hi,
I have lived in PNG for many and concentrated on my work .My first employer who picked me from the Air Port and the very first advice to date I observe DO NOT GO OUT AT NIGHT. Siimple life style is a must and check  who is driving behind specially when you are close to the gate. Also park the car parallel to the road until the gate is opened.

Dear LJ04052014,
Thank you for all the advice and it means a lot to me.

Hi archaos32,

I experienced the same before I went here but once you are here you will know it's exagerated. Just have to be careful all the time and don't place yourself in bad situations.
If you will be assigned in Port Moresby you will have good access to supermarket,department stores,cinemas,etc.
Arrogant people are everywhere, people here are generally nice.

Hi, guys in POM. Do you happen to know a company under Waitu Ltd.? It is a recruitment company deploying employees to Exxonmobil LNG drilling.

I am offered a position where I wll manage its operations for the company's expansion by next month.

Your helpful and valuable thoughts, please.
Thanks!

I could not find any information online about Waitu.  Do they have a website ??

Has this agency asked you to pay any fees at all ?? Exxonmobil state that any agency that asks for fees is a scam. They do however use agencies from time to time but no fees are asked to be paid by the applicant.

Hi, stumpy.

The owner is a consultant to Exxmobil LNG drilling. He needs me to oversee his recruitment office in POM. He has deployed laborers to some PNG building projects as well.

I have sent you a personal message re: the employer's details.

No, I'm not asked of any fees nor payments.

Dear fellow kabayans,

I find this thread very informative and inspiring.  Keep it up!

I myself have an oppty to apply in an insurance broker company in pom/lae branch. Reading the above taught me the right questions to ask if and when the employer calls me for a 2nd round of interview.

It seems that security has been an exaggerated concern in most articles ive read like the bbc, etc.  If only they knew how it is in our country, im sure this is nothing new to us.

My only concern if i got to the next round is:
If the car provided normally includes a driver or not;
Are there fitness centers nearby;
There is an INC church nearby

Im not a party goer nor a night owl, and i am currently living in Saudi where lifestyle and cultural restrictions are much more severe, i would like to believe that i can and will survive living in this country if and when my above concerns are met.  And of course there's the pay!

Thank you for reading!

Security in PNG is not exaggerated and is something important that needs to be taken into consideration.